It is a bittersweet moment as I bid you all at least a temporary farewell. My Bold finally bit the dust for good while I was on a business trip last month, and for the first time, not all of the coolest phones are on AT&T anymore. I'm taking this opportunity to get out from under AT&T for good.

Since I know it will be asked, right now it looks like I will be checking out the N1 on T-Mo and saving roughly $70 per month between my wife's account and my own, for a data plan that really is unlimited and a phone that has native support to be a WiFi hotspot. Don't flame too harshly, those of you who know me know I try to avoid the battles where people berate each other for their device choices.

I love this place and will check in from time to time, and I may be back more often if the 9800 comes out in time to become my next work phone. I hope I can find an Android forum even half as awesome as CrackBerry.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 07-02-10 at 02:52 PM.
    07-02-10 02:49 PM
    It is a bittersweet moment as I bid you all at least a temporary farewell. My Bold finally bit the dust for good while I was on a business trip last month, and for the first time, not all of the coolest phones are on AT&T anymore. I'm taking this opportunity to get out from under AT&T for good.

Since I know it will be asked, right now it looks like I will be checking out the N1 on T-Mo and saving roughly $70 per month between my wife's account and my own, for a data plan that really is unlimited and a phone that has native support to be a WiFi hotspot. Don't flame too harshly, those of you who know me know I try to avoid the battles where people berate each other for their device choices.

I love this place and will check in from time to time, and I may be back more often if the 9800 comes out in time to become my next work phone. I hope I can find an Android forum even half as awesome as CrackBerry.
    No flames. You'll be back, so I'll just say: See ya soon!
    07-02-10 04:56 PM
    Enjoy your new phone mate ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 04:58 PM
    So long fellow crackberry member. Good luck to you and your new phone. Hope to see you soon
    07-02-10 05:38 PM
    No way you'll find an android forum like crackberry

No flames. You'll be back, so I'll just say: See ya soon!
    I agree

See you soon pal.

07-02-10 09:50 PM
    I've enjoyed reading your posts DB. Enjoy your new phone.
    07-03-10 11:45 AM
    All the best to you DigitalBoy. Enjoy. hope to see you back.
    07-03-10 01:33 PM
    Hey, good luck with your new Android. I'll stay with BB next year when my contract is up, but I'll probably leave AT&T for T-Mobile also.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-03-10 02:36 PM
    Thanks, all! And I'm afraid todbanner is right. I don't know that I'll find an anything forum as cool as CrackBerry, so I'm sure I'll be stopping in to chat. And if the 9800 hurries, it probably really will be my next work phone. Either way, I appreciate the warm wishes. Just another illustration of why this place is so unique and awesome!

UPDATE: Just ordered my N1!!! Super excited! Fingers crossed that I won't regret my T-Mo decision, but it's gonna feel good to stop giving my loot to AT&T. I suppose that economic vote won't matter when I tell my boss I need a 9800 for work though. At least I'll be able to give you all some nice network speed comparisons and back-to-back phone reviews!
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 07-04-10 at 03:37 AM.
    07-03-10 11:46 PM
    Have fun wishing you still had a Bold 9000 keyboard when you can't keep up on that touchscreen!

I'm so glad my 9000 is still in great shape because I'd hate to be forced to upgrade before something I really want comes out (9800 or Dakota...I think?)

Best of luck to you.
    07-04-10 02:04 PM
    au revoir.
    07-04-10 07:26 PM
    how many times have there been "thank you all threads" and then a couple of days/weeks later come the "im back" threads? its just hilarious to witness these. but everyone has their preferences so best of luck with n1.
    07-04-10 08:28 PM
    how many times have there been "thank you all threads" and then a couple of days/weeks later come the "im back" threads? its just hilarious to witness these. but everyone has their preferences so best of luck with n1.
    Sorry if the thank you thing's played out... but I really did want to say thanks because this place has made owning a Bold much more fun than it would have been otherwise.

But in regards to coming back, I really can't see paying $200 to renew my ultra-expensive contract with the same device I've been using (and had to repair myself, twice, before it finally died for good). Instead I can spend $180 and drop my monthly by $35+, and get something cutting edge again. I love this place and will keep hanging out here as much as possible as a general phone enthusiast, but I'll be in the 9000 forums here less and in N1 forums elsewhere more.

I'm actually really optimistic about the N1. Swype's way better than standard touchscreen typing, and can be done 1-handed, which will be nice. If I can get used to that, the rest will be a breeze. I have long been a QWERTY hold-out, but this may actually be something I can sacrifice finally. the N1's AMOLED display is gorgeous, even compared to the 9000. The car dock instantly switches the phone into car mode, with great big icons, Gmaps with audible turn-by-turn, and the dock itself is a charger and bluetooth speakerphone system. The snapdragon processor isn't the very fastest out there, but it's darn close. It squashes the 9000's processor.

I'm not saying all this to bash my Bold. I miss it every day. I love RIM devices. It's just the way the timing worked out. Right now it's time to get out from under AT&T, and nothing on the market right now excites me as much as Android 2.2 devices.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 07-05-10 at 05:26 AM.
    07-05-10 05:24 AM
    So long TRAITOR!! Lol jk! Good luck with your new device good 2 see not every1 is taking a bite off the new
    Apple!

07-05-10 01:55 PM
    Oh no! Enjoy your new phone though...
    07-07-10 12:15 AM

I'm actually really optimistic about the N1. Swype's way better than standard touchscreen typing, and can be done 1-handed, which will be nice. If I can get used to that, the rest will be a breeze. I have long been a QWERTY hold-out, but this may actually be something I can sacrifice finally. the N1's AMOLED display is gorgeous, even compared to the 9000. The car dock instantly switches the phone into car mode, with great big icons, Gmaps with audible turn-by-turn, and the dock itself is a charger and bluetooth speakerphone system. The snapdragon processor isn't the very fastest out there, but it's darn close. It squashes the 9000's processor.
    Sounds like you have your move well-planned. I wish you luck and look forward to your thoughts on the N1 and the speed tests. I too am tired of funding ATT, so my wife and I changed data plans, as we are on my office's BES Xpress server, which saves us $60 per month. Although I will bite the bullet when the 9800 hits ATT.....(mixed emotions there)

I think Swype is very promising, sort of reminds me of the old Palm lettering technique. With practice I am sure you'll be up to speed in no time.
    07-07-10 12:16 PM
    Argh! So there's a huge flaw in my plans... Swype doesn't support the N1 running Froyo (Android 2.2). Older versions did, but with 2.2 You apparently have to find a non-supported source for the Swype software and root the phone to put it on. Google makes no attempt to hide the rooting process, but they're pretty clear that it voids your warranty, which sort of prevents me from trying this phone to make sure I like it while I can still return it.

Decisions, decisions.

Either way, I can already offer than I abosultely love the feel of the phone, the software, and the way it integrates with the car dock to give you a great hands-free speakerphone and turn-by-turn navi system. It's a great wifi hotspot and so far T-Mo's data coverage is absolutely fine. Since my Bold is officially toast I won't be able to compare their 3G speed directly to AT&T's, but I can say it doesn't feel slow. The browser itself is lightening fast and the browsing experience is awesome. Even Flash works fine. Since it's Google, contacts sync and are managed much better than on the Bold, but I sure do miss my keyboard. Even if I can get used to touch screen typing, it's pretty annoying having half the screen real estate taken up by soft keys. I only made a couple of cals yesterday. They sounded great but I was stationary. I need to do a lot more testing before I can say for sure that coverage is great all over the city and I'll never drop calls. Coverage is terrible here at work, but that's kind of the nature of my building. It was pretty poor with AT&T too, and the N1 is doing fine at my desk by the window.

EDIT: and now this thread has gotten adequately off-topic that I'll stop bumping it before a mod has to move it to an Android area. I miss my Bold already, but there's not really any turning back now. If I learn to live with a touchscreen only, look for my reviews in the Android forums here on CrackBerry. If I don't, you'll likely find me in the Epic 4 or 9800 forums, also here at CB. Thanks for all the well-wishes.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 07-08-10 at 05:22 PM.
    07-08-10 12:58 PM
    Thanks DB for all your insightful and fair posts. You are one of the reasons people come to these forums even after they switch.
    07-11-10 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD