I am feeling the need to emotionally shop (loooong story, few deaths in my life). I am not one of the "tell me what to do" people, I'm just looking for some honest opinions. I currently have a Tour and have experienced NO problems. I want to get this new Bold for the trackpad, and I think wifi would be nice. My question is... I am not due for any upgrade discounts so I will have to pay full retail. Is it worth it? Is there enough of a difference in your day-to-day experience to justify paying about $500 or should I emotionally shop for something else right now and wait a while for the Bold?
    P.S. For the therapists out there - I know that emotional shopping doesn't change anything in the long term, its just something I feel the need to do right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-10 12:53 AM
    $500 for a trackpad and Wi-fi? On paper, it doesn't sound very prudent.
    06-29-10 01:08 AM
    No, as much as I like mine and as much of an upgrade I do think it is over the Tour, its not worth paying full retail for. Well worth the upgrade price and a 2 year contract, but not full retail.

What else are you into?
    06-29-10 01:12 AM
    Perhaps coming from a much older device, but not full retail coming from a Tour.

06-29-10 01:21 AM
    It is well worth the upgrade , if you don't have the money to buy it don't do it.... There's nothing wrong with the tour. Where I live @ sprint coverage isn't that good on world phones and I have a curve 8350 for my girl with perfect service. I only like the wifi for the quality of watching videos and I can watch things that I couldn't see on my tour. I can download things that I couldn't download on my tour like radio bam on sirus 28 faction....lol the trackpad is cool but I never had trackball problems. The extra memory is cool. I like the fack that if I'm online an someone calls me I can put them on speaker and still surf the net @ the same time. There's no memory leak with this phone and I use the same apps and os 6 theme and I use to lose 15MB's a day with the tour. All in all I think it's a better device if you got it go in if not sit back its more to come.....

06-29-10 01:46 AM
    Buy it used for $400 or less.
    06-29-10 02:07 AM
    I agree with the others. It's worth an upgrade I think (maybe), but not full retail if you have something that works. I like it a lot vs the Tour that I had for a while. I'm still getting used to the trackpad, which admittedly has killed my BrickBreaker skills, but I like the keyboard, more memory and wifi very much on the Bold.
    06-29-10 06:11 AM
    It's a great upgrade from Tour but I wouldn't pay $500 for it. Check the marketplace forums for a lightly used one like papped suggested.
    06-29-10 07:17 AM
    You know you can purchase Certified Like new form VZW for about 250.......
    06-29-10 08:12 AM
    Not worth the upgrade. Coming from an 8330 to 8530 and now 9650. Not much difference to justify cost. The 8330 was the most trouble free phone. I upgraded to the 8530 for the wifi and trackpad. The 8530 has a lot of bang for the buck. Unfortunately, IMHO the 8530 had many problems due to bad quality control. Sprint replaced my 8530 with the 9650(after my 5th 8530). 9650 is nice but I don't have an extra $500 laying around though . So far the 9650 is good. I don't have the slanted trackpad but I do have signal problems that I didn't have with the previous blackberrys.

06-29-10 08:18 AM
    I wouldn't do it... if you really wanted a new phone, I'd say get an android or something else besides a blackberry because the 9650 isn't all that much of an upgrade over the tour to justify a full retail price for it...
    06-29-10 08:54 AM
    No way, No how. New Bold is not worth more than $200, especially considering that you will have to use it on the carrier's network and pay full price for the service, might as well get as much use from your Tour as possible since you probably paid for it and the service all this time.
    06-29-10 09:06 AM
    Better than Tour, not $500 better.

Psychologically-speaking, the anticipation will be *far* greater than the long-term satisfaction. After a couple of weeks it will be just like your Tour...
    06-29-10 09:17 AM
    On second thought, I'd pay [whatever] to break your Verizon contract and get a Bold 9700 for free from T-Mobile.

*FAR* better phone (including UMA Wi-Fi calls).
    06-29-10 09:19 AM
    Sorry about the hijack, but I have to ask. How does someone go about getting a certified like new device from Verizon. Ive hear people mention it, but Ive never heard of Verizon selling them and Ive never even seen one for sale. Also I would imagine you could get other phones from them as well correct?
    06-29-10 09:40 AM
    This person is on sprint so a vzw Bold would be useless to them.
    06-29-10 09:46 AM
    I am feeling the need to emotionally shop (loooong story, few deaths in my life). I am not one of the "tell me what to do" people, I'm just looking for some honest opinions. I currently have a Tour and have experienced NO problems. I want to get this new Bold for the trackpad, and I think wifi would be nice. My question is... I am not due for any upgrade discounts so I will have to pay full retail. Is it worth it? Is there enough of a difference in your day-to-day experience to justify paying about $500 or should I emotionally shop for something else right now and wait a while for the Bold?
    P.S. For the therapists out there - I know that emotional shopping doesn't change anything in the long term, its just something I feel the need to do right now.

If you are a Sprint Premier customer you can change phone every year on Sprint. I would stop by a store and see if/when you are eligible. You would only have to pay the upgrade price. That's why I like Sprint and that's exactly what I plan on doing today.
    06-29-10 10:37 AM
    I would say save the 500, and maybe do a nicer dinner, or new shoes, spa day or something if you have to spend to ease the burden and fill that emotional need. Or maybe invite a friend to dinner or spa that way you can fill the need AND have someone to talk to, might make you feel better to confide in someone and help deal, just a thought.
    06-29-10 12:42 PM
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice. I'm due for my Sprint Premier upgrade in october, so I will just wait. And don't worry, I will have no problem spending something to spend money on

06-29-10 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD