First a few background tidbits... I've been a Sprint user (premier) for 10 years. My family had 5 lines at one time but for a majority of the time we'd had 3 lines and spent over 200 a month. We never missed a payment, never cheated a plan, upgraded numbers and lines all decade long... However, the last 3 months I have experienced a ridiculous number of dropped calls, and then when it comes time to fix the problem, they offer me an airrave that I have to pay $100 for and add more $ to my monthly plan... So instead I decided to leave Sprint, they also waived the ETF fees...

So a week into my new AT&T plan, and I'm loving it. It's faster, more responsive, reliable and overall the customer service is amazing. So if you're on the fence about making the switch!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 07:22 PM
    Grass is always greener. I can give you 10 examples of friends of mine making the opposite jump who couldn't be happier with Sprint. I'm paying an early termination fee just to get out from under AT&T after 10 years of loyalty. Glad your experience has been good, but really try to evaluate while you're still able to back out. Every carrier looks very friendly as they welcome you in. Very few AT&T customers I know stay happy with them.
    07-02-10 03:26 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't use either one of them, even if they were the ONLY choices available. Gimme smoke signals if I have to. But, different strokes for different folks.
    07-02-10 03:38 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't use either one of them, even if they were the ONLY choices available. Gimme smoke signals if I have to. But, different strokes for different folks.
    Me too. Right now I think the big choice is between Verizon and T-Mo. I'm leaning towards T-Mo because their coverage seems to be pretty good in my area and between my wife and I, we'll save about $70/month by leaving AT&T AND gain 50 minutes each per month, and free tethering. Plus Verizon still cripples a lot of their devices to try to get you to pay for extra services (like standard GPS that comes on the phone to begin with). I have to admit, the Sprint EVO looks pretty sweet, but I'm not paying for a 4G network that doesn't exist yet, and if I'm going with Android, I don't want to deal with Sense UI. Sprint and AT&T have the same faceless, greedy feel to me.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 07-02-10 at 04:00 PM.
    07-02-10 03:57 PM
    I have been with AT&T since they purchased Cingular, and was with Cingular for several years before. Customer service has always been good to me, and they have dropped charges when I called to question them. Even one time when it was my mistake. The service and speed in my area is as very good also. People coming in here just to bash are simply trolling. Yes, the grass is greener at times. Be happy with your provider or move on to another one. But don't come in here just to bash to make yourself feel better about your choice.
    07-02-10 08:05 PM
    Bottom line it depends on your area... Sprint in my area (Texas) Sucks... I know lots of people who use them who can't go out city limits w/o having to use my phone same as with T-Mobile. Verizon has the best coverage in my area when it comes to making phone calls, but when it comes to data and voice AT&T has them all beat.

I have thought about switching to Verizon but since I am a primarily data user I am sticking with AT&T. There are no "greener pastures" for me.
    07-02-10 10:00 PM
    Bottom line it depends on your area... Sprint in my area (Texas) Sucks... I know lots of people who use them who can't go out city limits w/o having to use my phone same as with T-Mobile. Verizon has the best coverage in my area when it comes to making phone calls, but when it comes to data and voice AT&T has them all beat.

I have thought about switching to Verizon but since I am a primarily data user I am sticking with AT&T. There are no "greener pastures" for me.
    I travel all over Texas as a truck driver, interstates, backroads, all over & hardly ever miss a beat with Sprint. But like someone previously said, different strokes for different folkes, ill take the cheaper strokes for same voice coverage & far better data
    07-02-10 10:26 PM
    I have been with AT&T since they purchased Cingular, and was with Cingular for several years before. Customer service has always been good to me, and they have dropped charges when I called to question them. Even one time when it was my mistake. The service and speed in my area is as very good also.
    My experience is much the same. Customer service to date has kept us with ATT. We get some lost service when traveling and the price may not be the cheapest around but overall ATT has been good to us.

We have had four lines for years and just entered a new contract on one of them. We are in line to stay around for a long time to come.
    07-03-10 06:49 AM
    People coming in here just to bash are simply trolling. Yes, the grass is greener at times. Be happy with your provider or move on to another one. But don't come in here just to bash to make yourself feel better about your choice.
    First of all, I didn't come here "just to bash." I came here to discuss carriers. I thought that's what the carrier forums were for. I also agree with those above. Your mileage will vary greatly based on your location. But in my area, coverage with AT&T has not been the problem. My problem is a $210 monthly bill for my wife and I, and a carrier that just doesn't care to keep us.

So don't worry, I AM going with another carrier, and I don't need to bash AT&T to feel good about doing so. Whether you think I'm a troll or not, I'll enjoy my $60 to $70 monthly savings, my increase in minutes, a carrier that actually means it when they call data unlimited (and still offers unlimited plans for new users), and I'll enjoy being eligible for a phone upgrade every 12 months. Those things will be plenty to "make me feel better." If calling people trolls does the trick for you, keep calling people names for discussing things like this.

Personally, I like it when people post things like this. Until very recently, I didn't realize how much less some carriers charge. Conversations like this are how you learn how others feel about their carriers so you can make an educated decision. I appreciate honest feedback about a carrier or device I might be switching to, and I try to offer the same.

I'm glad a lot of people are happy with AT&T. But I can't help but notice that you don't call those people trolls. Are the only opinions here supposed to positive rather than honest? And are actual facts only supposed to be posted if they glorify your particular carrier?
    07-04-10 12:21 AM
    I agree, it depends on your location. I tried Sprint for six days and dropped them. I never had service unless I was outside. I have been a long time Verizon customer. I was with T-Mobile when they were Voicestream. Att has always had excellent customer service. If you are respectful and calmthey are willing to work with you.

Digitalboy, when you demand what you and the rep already know isn't possible, they won't help you. Demanding that they get an Android phone with 2.1 is impossible since the online sales rep has no say in what phones Att adopts. And by the way, there is the HTC Aria which does have Android 2.1.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-10 02:41 PM
    You're right, at this point it's almost impossible for me to be realistic when dealing with AT&T reps. I was always respectful and patient when I actually wanted them to work with me. It's become rhetorical. I know they can't change what their company does, and I admit I've had one foot out the door for at least a year or so. In fact, the Bold is the only reason I singed on again a year-and-a-half ago. Even my last EDGE-only Curve couldn't keep a call.

The difference is that this is the first time I finally like my other options enough to do anything about it. I am not making demands of AT&T anymore. I tried pleasant requests time after time ages ago to speak with someone who could talk to me about the ungodly number of dropped calls I was having. 8 out of 10 calls ended with a drop, even when I was outside in an area about a mile and a half from an AT&T tower. They offered to do nothing for me. I spent hours trying to speak to someone who would listen to me, and everyone said there was nothing they could do. Things finally improved when I moved, then my Bold died. They were asked politely if I could upgrade a month early and said no. When I said I needed to do an insurance replacement they advised me to wait a little more than another month and just buy a new phone. The upgrade would be $200 and the deductible was $125. "Get a GoPhone until you're eligible" they said. What they didn't take into account was that after the $60 GoPhone and the $35 startup fee for my upgrade (which they said they wouldn't waive as a courtesy because my contract is not up), I would be spending about twice the deductible after all, FOR THE SAME PHONE!!! What the **** was I paying the insurance premium for?

This is no individual rep's fault, and largely just the way the cards were dealt. But if that's the kind of experiencing you're offering, and you can't help your customers when they're not getting what they should be, why do you get to keep charging more than any other carrier? Add to that their super-saturated networks that drop calls even with full bars, the taking away of unlimited plans, the jacking up of ETF rates, and the fact that they're starting to trail in the hardware market if you're not looking for an iPhone, and maybe you can see a bit about why I'm frustrated. I meant it when I said I'm glad others are happy, but I have to say I'm truly surprised that there aren't hundreds more here with stories just like mine. At least I'm not totally alone... I'm not the one who started this thread, after all.

Even if T-Mo isn't any better with customer service than AT&T, at least they would have let me upgrade several months sooner. Basically you can do it after a year, so you're never in limbo like I was. If your phone breaks after the warranty expires, you can upgrade it right then and there. Their plans are enough cheaper to pay for my upgrade after 6 months, so I'd still be saving a couple hundred with a brand new phone every year. Their Android options are second only to Sprint and dwarf AT&T's.

Ultimately, it will come down to one thing and one thing only: can their network offer me consistent coverage in Denver? It sounds like they've really been stepping it up over the pas year and have plans to continue doing so, so all I can say is that I hope so. I will admit that after all of this public airing of grievances it will make me very sad if my new N1 won't keep a signal and I have to crawl back to AT&T to buy another Bold. Either way, I'll spare you all any more ranting. It's not any of your faults my experience has been so poor, any more than that of the last AT&T rep I talked to. I wish you all the best of luck with your respective carriers, and I'm going to focus my energy on evaluating my options rather than arguing about whether I'm asking too much of AT&T after giving them $2520 over the past 12 months and who knows how much over the past 10 years.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 07-05-10 at 06:09 AM.
    07-05-10 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD