Well, it's been an interesting 20 or so months, but it's time to hang up the Storm. I pre-ordered the Storm from Best Buy back in 2008 and enjoyed it for a long time, but eventually got fed up with its lack of speed and apps. I think I'm one of the lucky few who bought their Storm on day one and never had to replace it!

Pre-ordered a Droid X, and hoping it lives up to its expectations. Over the years, I've had just about everything, Blackberry, Palm, and Windows Mobile (not the iPhone though, and never will!). I love the Blackberry but it's time to upgrade to a more multimedia-friendly phone. However, every time I stray from Blackberry, I tend to find myself back with one for my next phone, so unless the Droid X is really as good as it seems it'll be, there's a good chance I'll be back here in another 20 months!

Thank you to everyone on here, these forums have always been great and so are the people who post on here. I might be leaving the Blackberry family, but I'll still be around here from time to time. Best of luck to all of you who are sticking firmly with the Storm!
    06-28-10 10:52 AM
    I too bought my Storm the very first day it was sold at Best Buy.

Thought it was going to be an iPhone killer, and instead it has been a dud. Total lack of updates (to this day, when I do a battery pull, I get an "uncaught Java exception" error message once the phone goes back on).

BB have some good things to offer. Verizon offers excellent coverage, the email system is handy, and I really do like the touch screen on the Storm. But they do not support Mac users anywhere close to where they should--or could. Their apps are tiny and useless, and the whole world of Blackberry feels left behind.

Yes, their keyboards are great if you type a lot, yes, their coverage is reliable, but for a personal Storm I user with a MacBook Pro who doesn't type a lot, I don't feel Blackberry ever cared about the product it sold me, or for meeting my needs.
    06-28-10 11:17 AM
    Where are you able to Pre-Order the Droid X at?
    06-28-10 11:42 AM
    I have the Storm1 and I am planning on switching to the Iphone 4 when my contract expires in December.

I would consider a Storm3 but for me, the whole end-user experience with RIM
    products is dissapointing. Appworld is a joke.
    And I don't like the way the device has become obsolete and ignored by RIM.

I am on Bell here in T.O. and just found out there is only one BB device that is compatible with Bell's faster network.
    Its not the Storm 1 or 2.
    Last edited by nulldog; 06-28-10 at 11:49 AM.
    06-28-10 11:45 AM
    Where are you able to Pre-Order the Droid X at?
    Best Buy does in-store pre-orders. And this is exactly what i'm planning to do as well. I really have no gripes about the Storm but i honestly dont see RIM putting out another device in the next 2 years that will go point for point with the Droid X or any of the other recent Android phones.
    06-28-10 11:50 AM
    Bye-bye, so long, and thanks for all the fish...
    06-28-10 11:52 AM
    Is this for just new service at Best Buy? Can you do the early upgrade there as well?
    06-28-10 12:02 PM
    I pre-ordered from Best Buy, VZW stores aren't doing pre-orders as far as I can tell. It's not widely publicized yet so if you want a Droid X, you should probably go soon. When you pre-order from Best Buy, it's not a guarantee that you'll get a phone, it just puts you on the waiting list and if they get enough on the first day, whoever is at the top of the list gets it first (I was #3 on my Best Buy's list).

I'm going to be doing the early upgrade. My NE2 is up on July 21st, and from what I hear, they'll let you get it early. I've heard Best Buy isn't great with accepting NE2, though, so you might have to fight with them a bit to get it but there's nothing stopping them from doing it. My thought is, worst case scenario, I'll buy it for full retail on the 15th, then return it and re-buy it on the 21st and activate it then so I can get my NE2 discount.
    06-28-10 12:45 PM
    smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    06-28-10 08:31 PM
    yeah, its actually mind boggling that RIM is still the #1 smartphone handset maker domestically in the U.S., but thats due to enterprise B2B sales, not consumer sales. anywho, Apple and especially Google, are playing catchup.

since my contract expires in november, i am hoping there will be dual core arm9 cortex phones out by then.
    06-28-10 11:48 PM
    The story of the Storm:

Device memory: 879.2MB
    Media card memory: 7.2 GB

APPLICATION MEMORY: 50MB. Load VZ Navigator and about 3 apps and you are down in the 20MB range of running death.

Why did they not use the Device memory for app memory?

2 major upgrades that did increase app memory a little...by removing the games.

Android here I come on July 15th.
    06-29-10 09:41 AM
    History:

I got my Storm 1 on release date.
    Personally, I don't consider the Storm 1 a bad PHONE. It does what I need: calls, email, messaging, media (mostly audio: listening to music).

Having said that, I don't consider the Storm 1 a great phone either, it is not even good. It lacks so much in the user experience department that I don't even know where to start. It doesn't wow me at all...not as much as my old 7290 that I had for YEARS and loved it every single moment. Yes a 7290 folks

Why did I get it in the first place? I got my Storm 1 because I was intrigued at the release date and hoped to experience something similar to the Iphone or Droid in terms of UI and user experience, and yet not missing BB's great email push and messaging. I thought the AppWorld would grow, but it is a joke.
    I stuck with the Storm 1 because I thought RIM would improve it in terms of OS, browser, and Apps, but they didn't. While the navigation is adequate the Storm 1 FOR ME lacks completely in browser and Apps. I find myself using the browser once per week at most, and most Apps from the AppWorld are simply inconvenient, lack support (I'm in Germany, so I can't even use many Apps of the few available LOL) and even if the AppWorld would improve in quality and quantity the Storm 1 lacks memory to profit from it, rediculous -.-

RIM just abandoned the Storm 1 completely

Now, and plans for the future:

I curently (actively) use my Storm for email, as an mp3-player and (passively - running in the background all the time) to check the weather, news, and twitter. Thats about it. Almost any other phone in the last 5 years can do that. Most of the time I would pick the Storm up, check the time and emails, callender, notes, and put it back in my pocket or on the table.

Sorry RIM and Vodafone (here in Germany), but for 500� with contract I expect much more (reffer to pricing in PS section at the buttom). And it's not me, the Storm just offers so little!

It doesn't make me feel very productive, nor entertained. It simply serves the purpose, fulfills my most basic needs in terms of phone/organizer.

In december I'm out of my contract and then will think about a new gadget.
    (a) maybe get a BB Bold 9700 to have the 7290 experience back, strictly functional and professional, calls, email, calender, notes. BB is a way of life. It would be my new "7290", then just ignore AppWorld and memory completely as on Storm 1
    (b) get an Iphone 4 without contract and VLog in HD and what now... it should be cheaper in december/january and hopefully have some issues resolved, or I'll wait for the Iphone 5 or whatever, Apple does seem to improve their devices for customers

I think I can't go wrong, no matter what I do. Although the Storm 1 doesn't bother me too much in everyday life, many lable it as "the worst BB ever", so I guess no matter what my next next-gen device will be, I will be more satisfied than now.

PS: I would sell my Storm 1. It has no scratches and has never been damaged, but who would want to buy a Storm 1 -.- (I got mine for 499� (euro!!!) WITH 2-year contract!!! Now you get a new one for 100� max without contract on ebay LOL -.-)
    06-29-10 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD