I'm surprised this hasn't come up for discussion. Guess Wall Street doesn't like the numbers RIM is posting. Does anyone think they'll rebound?

RIM Falls 11% After Revenue Falls Short of Estimates - BusinessWeek
    Last edited by dynot; 06-26-10 at 11:10 PM.
    06-26-10 11:03 PM
    This happens all the time, it's not news it's just the nature of the stock market.

And they had good earnings, just less than expected so it doesn't really mean much.
    06-27-10 12:56 AM
    The stock market is always fluctuating sure they lost a few percent but it will go back up and then down and then up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-10 02:04 AM
    This happens all the time, it's not news it's just the nature of the stock market.

And they had good earnings, just less than expected so it doesn't really mean much.
    Very true but 11% is quite a hit just for a company missing forecasted earnings. However, like it has been already stated, all else being the same they will regain some of that lost ground.

If I owned RIM stock (I don't but won't go into the reasons here) this drop would serve as a warning sign to watch how RIM is going to deal with the competition that brought this about. 11% could be just a temporary stumbling block or the first drop in a long market share loss over the coming years.

06-27-10 07:19 AM
    Very true but 11% is quite a hit just for a company missing forecasted earnings. However, like it has been already stated, all else being the same they will regain some of that lost ground.

If I owned RIM stock (I don't but won't go into the reasons here) this drop would serve as a warning sign to watch how RIM is going to deal with the competition that brought this about. 11% could be just a temporary stumbling block or the first drop in a long market share loss over the coming years.

RIM is always volatile around earnings. The average move is 14% after they report in either direction. They've seen 40% drops and 30% gains throughout their history.
    06-27-10 03:13 PM
    This is normal. Nothing to see here.
    06-27-10 09:26 PM
    Yep happened last time also.... Nothing to worry about unless your a money share holder.....

Look up other reports for other cell company shares.....
    06-27-10 09:28 PM
    I always wonder why certain folks keep such close watch over RIM's cyclical fluctuations. As a long time Blackberry user, I simply care about whether my device works and whether there is another device out that would turn my head, be it Blackberry or anything else.
    I'm also wondering why people without an understanding of economics like to throw around terms like "market share" and why they seek out publications of concepts they don't understand.
    Leaves me little choice but to think back to grade school, with the playground bully screaming "My Daddy makes more money than yours and he has a bigger car!!! Nah nah nah nana nah!!!"
    06-28-10 07:09 AM
    For rim to miss their earnings is not always a big thing but the reason was due to the loss of sales to android devices and that is big! Like it or not but rim is losing market share to other platforms due to rim not staying up with other platforms. I am not saying blackberrys suck but rim needs to get on the ball and attract more customers.

06-28-10 07:39 AM

I think it does if your portfolio just took an 11% hit. I don't think the drop is as much to do with earnings as it is with future guidance...which RIM didn't really give any. Investors are most likely concerned with the Android and Iphone platforms widdling into RIMs market share and RIMs lack of response to the situation.
    06-28-10 08:02 AM
    For rim to miss their earnings is not always a big thing but the reason was due to the loss of sales to android devices and that is big! Like it or not but rim is losing market share to other platforms due to rim not staying up with other platforms. I am not saying blackberrys suck but rim needs to get on the ball and attract more customers.

RIM was late to launch with 2 devices, that made up for part of the loss earnings, and globally RIM is still growing quickly Android /iPhone are North American thorns, for RIM shares, I don't think missing a quarterly earnings projection and adjusting the stock accordingly is the investors getting scared about Android / iPhone, if they continue to miss earning projections or fall below 20% operating margin, then you'll see the stock take a real drive, 11% can be recovered with a slightly stronger than projected quarter, which could be achieved if they didn't go too crazy with projections of new devices on the block.
    06-28-10 09:11 AM
    RIM was late to launch with 2 devices, that made up for part of the loss earnings, and globally RIM is still growing quickly Android /iPhone are North American thorns, for RIM shares, I don't think missing a quarterly earnings projection and adjusting the stock accordingly is the investors getting scared about Android / iPhone, if they continue to miss earning projections or fall below 20% operating margin, then you'll see the stock take a real drive, 11% can be recovered with a slightly stronger than projected quarter, which could be achieved if they didn't go too crazy with projections of new devices on the block.
    Investors are justifiably concerned with the downward trend in RIM's NA market share for top end smartphones, the ones with the best margins. Form their perspective while RIM may be moving more units they consist of lower-end, lower margin phones which are competitively hard to differentiate from competitors. No analyst is saying that RIM is going under, but they and the institutions that buy large blocks of RIM stock are concerned that in the long run RIMs current market cap cannot be justified, and that it will go down considerably over time. Because of the volatility and uncertainty, institutions have been pulling out of their positions. A lower market
    Cap means less money for R&D which is bad news for all of us.

06-28-10 09:58 AM
    Then again, maybe now's the time to buy with share prices at a 52-week low.
    06-28-10 11:37 AM
    I am actually thinking the same thing

I am really hopeful and optomistic about the 9800 and the clamshell doing something for RIM, as well as OS6,

my debate right now isn't IF I should buy but how much am I willing to throw into the heap?
    06-28-10 11:47 AM
    OMG....

To the budding economists here...care to explain how you arrived at your searingly logical analysis? Because if you can discern a company's impending continued loss of marketshare leading to ultimate insolvency and are able to identify it as such instead of market fluctuations by reading a few articles on the WSJ showing quarterly blips, there should be a lot of economists put out of work in your favour.

Dang it that was a long sentence. It's what happens I just lose it....

RIM will one day give way to another company - I see no evidence that the moment is now.

NOT directed at you, deRussett!!!
    06-28-10 11:59 AM
    this *is* how you make a killing in the market.
    06-28-10 12:02 PM
    OMG....

To the budding economists here...care to explain how you arrived at your searingly logical analysis? Because if you can discern a company's impending continued loss of marketshare leading to ultimate insolvency and are able to identify it as such instead of market fluctuations by reading a few articles on the WSJ showing quarterly blips, there should be a lot of economists put out of work in your favour.

RIM will one day give way to another company - I see no evidence that the moment is now.

it wasn't?
    06-28-10 12:06 PM
    it wasn't?
    nah....you don't drive me to drink.....
    06-28-10 12:13 PM
    OMG....

Isn't it always fun to watch those that think they've got it all figured out based on "quarterly earnings", he11 they already have RIM six feet under, lol. The "mentality" of some on this site never ceases to amaze me or give me a good laugh. almost ranks up there with "civics" constant rants.

As always, great to see ya again QB.
    06-28-10 12:26 PM
    nah....you don't drive me to drink.....
    How about drive ya for a drink? lol

this thread will have to move to off topic if we keep up this chit chatter
    06-28-10 12:32 PM
    Hee, hee....as far away as you are you mean fly me for a drink, right?!?!

OK, ssshhh....the three of us will get in trouble, you, Joel and I!!! let's behave....

HI, JOEL!!!!!!
    06-28-10 12:50 PM
    Hahaha this is so funny I was waiting for this post after the iPhone 4 came out. Wait until 5 and android gets bigger, drop drop drop goes RIM some more.

06-28-10 12:56 PM
    Like I said QB "the mentality" of some on this site.
    06-28-10 12:59 PM
    Hahaha this is so funny I was waiting for this post after the iPhone 4 came out. Wait until 5 and android gets bigger, drop drop drop goes RIM some more.

drop, drop, drop.....like the signal on your new 4G?!??

C'mon, Brandon....you just *gave*me that one! LOL!!!!
    06-28-10 01:20 PM
    OMG....

Because if you can discern a company's impending continued loss of marketshare leading to ultimate insolvency and are able to identify it as such instead of market fluctuations by reading a few articles on the WSJ showing quarterly blips, there should be a lot of economists put out of work in your favour.
    Who said RIMM was going under anytime soon? I think it's fair to speculate why investors sold off 11% of this stock on Friday and 23% year to date. I think that's a little more than minor market fluctations. Then again, you seem to be the senior economist here, so what's your explanation.

Isn't it always fun to watch those that think they've got it all figured out based on "quarterly earnings", he11 they already have RIM six feet under, lol. The "mentality" of some on this site never ceases to amaze me or give me a good laugh. almost ranks up there with "civics" constant rants.

As always, great to see ya again QB.
    Again, RIMM is down 23% year to date. There's a little more to it than "quarterly earnings".

If you can justify it...though I'd go on more than it just hit its 52-week low. Many companies do...and then they drop some more.

Anyway, I don't think anyone sees RIMM or the blackberry brand going away anytime soon, but there's no doubt the stock has been underperforming over the past 6 months.
    06-28-10 01:31 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD