At random times (mostly when I'm at work but sometimes at home) that little blackberry symbol beside the 3G disappears, indicating a loss of data service. But I still see the arrows going so I know there's some data being sent and received.

When this happens I'll either turn off n on the radio n my data will come back until the next outage. Has anyone else had an issue like this? If so, how can I resolve it without calling Robbers customer frustration line?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-10 03:28 PM
    3G disappears... but nothing else appears???? No EDGE or anything else??? And I guess you are in Canada and using Rogers... is that correct???
    06-26-10 03:35 PM
    fatboy is psychic. He can divine your problem from 1000+ miles .

The little arrows you see are network traffic but it is a meaningless exchange of packets until you see the BB symbol again. Your phone has detected a 3G network but is not "logged in" to blackberry.net and BIS (the BB symbol so your phone and the network are just exchanging service messages and the phone is trying to log in.

This is the same as seeing edge (network detected) on your phone rather than EDGE (logged in).

Once you see the BB symbol again, blackberry.net (BIS) is live once more.

Are you in Canada on Rogers?
    06-26-10 03:49 PM
    I'm in Canada on Rogers and whenever I lost the 3G I still get the EDGE, and if the EDGE disappears I get GSM.
    06-26-10 04:03 PM
    At random times (mostly when I'm at work but sometimes at home) that little blackberry symbol beside the 3G disappears, indicating a loss of data service. But I still see the arrows going so I know there's some data being sent and received.

When this happens I'll either turn off n on the radio n my data will come back until the next outage. Has anyone else had an issue like this? If so, how can I resolve it without calling Robbers customer frustration line?

It usually means that your phone is connecting to something using wap instead of bis, do you have an app in the background that might do this? I noticed that once the symbol has disappeared it's not always in a rush to come back
    Watching youtube usualy does this.

06-26-10 04:18 PM
    im with rogers too and that happens to me too. I lose the BIS connection over the network and it does not jump to EDGE or GPRS i tried switching but i just get edge. only way i seem to get bis back is by conneting to wifi. it usually take 15-20 mins before i get BIS connection back ota
    06-26-10 04:33 PM
    Yes I'm in Canada with Rogers. And sometimes the EDGE appears but right now I'm running the phone in 3G only mode (rather than 2G and 3G).

I called them once already. I can understand when I'm at work, I work in a warehouse and there's steel beams and stuff everywhere. But for it to cut off in my house is annoying. I don't wanna call them again. How did you all fix this issue?

06-27-10 12:37 AM
    what OS are you running? How far are you from the city? When was the last time you resend your service books?
    06-27-10 08:14 AM
    Change it from "3G only" to "3G and 2G"... that way IF 3G drops out you will still have EDGE for data... unless you are every close to a cell tower when you are in your home you can loose 3G signal. EDGE is better than nothing for data.
    06-27-10 08:26 AM
    It's normal for devices to temporarily loose 3G regardless of carrier. It use to happen to me on Sprint and it still happens to me now on Verizon. Your phone will just use a lower data speed until 3G is restored. Sometimes you can get 3G to come back on buy turning your service off, then turning it back on through the the Manage Connections option.
    06-27-10 08:39 AM
    It's normal for devices to temporarily loose 3G regardless of carrier. It use to happen to me on Sprint and it still happens to me now on Verizon. Your phone will just use a lower data speed until 3G is restored. Sometimes you can get 3G to come back on buy turning your service off, then turning it back on through the the Manage Connections option.
    Nope, the problem is the phone is still on 3G but is loosing bis connection. It's the equivalent of goimg from EDGE to edge. When this happens no emails or bbm can go trough. I find opera browser and youtube watching can set this off.

06-27-10 09:12 AM
    what OS are you running? How far are you from the city? When was the last time you resend your service books?
    still need to know this.....
    06-27-10 09:13 AM
    I'm running OS 5.0.0.351 (the originally loaded OS). I'm 20 minutes from the downtown core, if that, but 5 minutes from the "border" of Toronto. I guess when I activated the phone.

06-27-10 11:27 PM
    upgrade your OS, bet that will fix your issue

you are on .351 the latest from rogers is .743 (see the diff)

please download and upgrade to the latest OS

instructions on how to upgrade:
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

Link to OS:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...DDAAA067.node2
    - choose the BlackBerry 9700, and its the first one at the top when the page reloads
    Last edited by c_86; 06-28-10 at 12:46 AM.
    06-28-10 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD