Hey Crackberry Nation,
    Just a quick question. In the BlackBerry Browser there only appears to be Bing as the only search engine. I just got my Bold 9650 coming from the Tour and I always had Google as my default search engine in the BlackBerry browser and it doesn't seem available in the Bold 9650's browser. Does anyone know how I can add Google as my default search engine in the BlackBerry browser? Thanks in advance! =)
    -Mike

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 10:14 AM
    i can't get rid of Bing too but i just bookmarked google which makes life a little easier
    06-25-10 10:18 AM
    You can't. You can install the Google Mobile app, and/or add google as your home page in the browser.
    06-25-10 10:19 AM
    And the search results from Bing in the browser are horrible. For some reason my Tour never was pushed the forced Bing search in the browser and I'm hating Bing.
    06-25-10 10:22 AM
    Tour and Storm1 had Google. I believe Storm2 was the first with pushed/forced Bing.
    06-25-10 10:26 AM
    Eeeww Bing. Why, oh why RIM?
    06-25-10 10:29 AM
    Eeeww Bing. Why, oh why RIM?
    Verizon, not RIM
    06-25-10 10:32 AM
    Verizon apparently got MILLION$$$$ for forcing Bing down our throats.
    06-25-10 10:53 AM
    Correct.

"The wide-ranging search and advertising deal between Verizon Wireless and Microsoft reportedly cost Redmond between $550 million to $650 million in revenue guarantees over five years, according to prior reports in the Wall Street Journal." src: As Verizon Implements Bing Default Search Deal, Company Sees User Backlash
    06-25-10 11:22 AM
    And the search results from Bing in the browser are horrible. For some reason my Tour never was pushed the forced Bing search in the browser and I'm hating Bing.
    Its because Bing filters the results, that's why the call it the "decision" engine . problem is I don't want my results filtered and half the time it filters what I'm looking for. I'm not the average person that cant be bothered to see all the results and make my own decisions on what I want to look at or not.

Correct.

"The wide-ranging search and advertising deal between Verizon Wireless and Microsoft reportedly cost Redmond between $550 million to $650 million in revenue guarantees over five years, according to prior reports in the Wall Street Journal." src: As Verizon Implements Bing Default Search Deal, Company Sees User Backlash
    I find this absolutely ridiculous, I don't like having anything forced on me. I also feel its a sneaky and underhanded way to do things. I don't have any problem adding bing, but at least give me the choice to not use it if I want, don't take away my other options. I not have google as my homepage and I will also add the google app.
    06-25-10 11:31 AM
    Maybe you were using Bing to search for your answer?

There's tons of threads on this here and all over the 'net.
    06-25-10 11:47 AM
    As I just found out, in Quicklaunch, there is an app option called "web search". You can set Google as your default for that. So with my left conv key set to QL, it's one press, scroll a few down, then type in your search term and it returns with Google results. Nice way to handle it.......
    06-25-10 11:57 AM
    As I just found out, in Quicklaunch, there is an app option called "web search". You can set Google as your default for that. So with my left conv key set to QL, it's one press, scroll a few down, then type in your search term and it returns with Google results. Nice way to handle it.......
    Using Opera or Bolt you can probably change the default home page to Google.
    06-25-10 12:03 PM
    Verizon, not RIM
    That's unfortunate. Glad I'm still on my Storm 1 (for once).
    If this is carrier specific, then can't a file be switched / modified to restore Google?
    06-25-10 12:20 PM
    If this is carrier specific, then can't a file be switched / modified to restore Google?
    Totally guessing, but I think it's part of the default browser service books for verizon and if you grab a cod from another OS without Bing, the next time Verizon pushes service books again, Bing will be right back on there. This is only what I believe to be the case. I could very well be wrong...
    06-25-10 12:26 PM
    I believe it's a service book/pushed content thing.

OT, but have you looked into 5.0.0.419 for your Storm? Added a few neat features and fixed the home screen icon issue!
    06-25-10 12:29 PM
    I believe it's a service book/pushed content thing.

OT, but have you looked into 5.0.0.419 for your Storm? Added a few neat features and fixed the home screen icon issue!

I've heard 419 has some bugs....thoughts?
    06-25-10 12:38 PM
    I've heard 419 has some bugs....thoughts?
    I LOVED 419, it solved more problems than created for me. It was a worthy upgrade IMO.
    06-25-10 12:48 PM
    The version of Bolt I'm using has a google search box right on the front page with all of your favorites. Same type of set up as BB browser, I like it better. It seems to render web pages much more quickly, and doesnt have the requesting delay that BB browser has on the Bold 9650.
    06-25-10 12:56 PM
    I never knew Verizon was doing that. That's horrible.

06-25-10 01:00 PM
    You can also change the home page of the native BB Browser to whatever you want including google. Go to whatever home page you want, then open browser's options and select the first option, scroll down and it will allow you to make the currenly displaying page your new home page.

I have my own homepage located in the BB's internal memory what displays a 3-across table with links that I want to visit first.

The issue with bing was that in the past, I could press G in the browser for goto and then enter a search-term into the google box. Now it is BING and while it can be changed to wiki or dictionary.com, I still want and prefer google and that cannot be changed.
    06-25-10 02:36 PM
    You can also change the home page of the native BB Browser to whatever you want including google. Go to whatever home page you want, then open browser's options and select the first option, scroll down and it will allow you to make the currenly displaying page your new home page.
    Yes, that is true. First step is to change Start Page drop down from Start Page to Home Page. Then change Home Page address to google (and not that useless VZW mess)
    06-25-10 02:44 PM
    Download the Google launcher and problem solved.

Blackberry Launchers

06-25-10 02:48 PM
    Download the Google launcher and problem solved.

Blackberry Launchers
    suggested that

You can't. You can install the Google Mobile app, and/or add google as your home page in the browser.
    06-25-10 02:51 PM
    The issue with bing was that in the past, I could press G in the browser for goto and then enter a search-term into the google box. Now it is BING and while it can be changed to wiki or dictionary.com, I still want and prefer google and that cannot be changed.
    Right, but if your home page is google.com, then you can still just press H to go right to google.com.

06-25-10 03:32 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD