I should be getting the bold tomorrow to replace my defective tour. I was wondering if there were any known issues that are prevalent with the bold like the tour's trackball? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 01:29 PM
    So far I have read about a few:

crooked trackpad
    slanted trackpad
    low ring volume
    low vibration feel

None of which are as crippling as the Tour trackball crapiness though.
    06-24-10 02:00 PM
    Got my new Bold 9650 this past Sunday and so far I am loving it. My trackpad is slightly higher on the left side. From what I read on this forum most everyone's is slanted. I have no issues with my ring volume. I usually don't use my vibration setting but I did test it out. It is a lower vibration feel compared to my Curve 8330.

So far.....so good. My battery life is good. I don't use any social apps so that helps save my battery. I checked all my phone setting to make sure things I don't need (like bluetooth..etc) on are turned off. I do have BerryWeather installed and have that set to update every 1 hour.

Overall.....very happy with my 9650. I came from the Curve 8330.
    06-24-10 02:11 PM
    So far I have read about a few:

crooked trackpad
    slanted trackpad
    low ring volume
    low vibration feel

None of which are as crippling as the Tour trackball crapiness though.

Heck I would have taken a crooked trackball if it would have just worked. lol.
    06-24-10 05:17 PM
    Oh man, the Tour was a nightmare indeed, on #5 myself. I am going to hold off a good few months before even thinking about getting a 9650. I have learned my lesson about phones at release.
    06-24-10 08:02 PM
    The trackpad being slanted is normal and not even noticable unless you know about it and look at it funny. The ring volume is lower but you can raise it of course and depends on the ringtone. I hear the vibration broke the screen of a curve user I know so who needs it that strong? lol
    06-24-10 08:21 PM
    No voice mail notification except for small icon but hopefully software update will take care of that.
    06-24-10 08:37 PM
    No voice mail notification except for small icon but hopefully software update will take care of that.
    I'm so happy about that, why would you want multiple notifications? I got so sick of clearing out a missed call, then a missed notification, then calling my vmail to clear out the icon. That's NOT COOL lol
    06-24-10 08:40 PM
    I have a new 9650 Bold. 1 week old.
    it has a crooked trackpad, I'm over it... It works fine, that's just cosmetic to me.

Main problem here is the "dead message" being received over SMS. Many users have seen this repeatedly and no new results... So we're dead in the water regarding SMS. Boo.

06-24-10 11:51 PM
    I'm so happy about that, why would you want multiple notifications? I got so sick of clearing out a missed call, then a missed notification, then calling my vmail to clear out the icon. That's NOT COOL lol
    I hear that..I hope it stays that way, haha.
    06-25-10 12:08 AM
    get youmail or google voice. No more calling to hear voicemails!
    06-25-10 03:35 AM
    Oh man, the Tour was a nightmare indeed, on #5 myself. I am going to hold off a good few months before even thinking about getting a 9650. I have learned my lesson about phones at release.
    HOw did you manage to go through 5 tours lol? I havnt had any problems with mine since I got it 8 months ago and I use it all day.
    06-25-10 03:40 AM
    HOw did you manage to go through 5 tours lol? I havnt had any problems with mine since I got it 8 months ago and I use it all day.
    You basically have to look at it wrong and the trackball stops working. I went through three that had this and the headphone jack issue

06-25-10 07:12 AM
    One has to hope that the headphone jack issue did not carry over to a very similarly designed model.
    06-25-10 08:48 AM
    While I love my Bold and find it superior in nearly every way to every Blackberry I've had so far (this is my 4th), I am having one recurring problem with it.

When tethering from my Windows 7 64bit laptop via Bluetooth, the phone will periodically reboot. It will work fine for hours, then suddenly the screen will flash white, then the red LED will come on. Next thing you know the OS load progress indicator is slowly doing its thing.

I haven't done any research to see if this is a common problem . . . but it's certainly too common for me. If no one else is reporting it, I'll assume it's hardware and request a replacement.

EDIT: I've since done some research and the random reboot issue during bluetooth tethering is not unique to the Bold. It appears to happen on other models as well, including the Tour and the Storm 2. Yay, I guess.
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 06-25-10 at 11:59 PM.
    06-25-10 09:27 AM
    I am about to get a new 9650 from Verizon. I have had mine since the swap for the Tour occurred back in June. I love the phone, but I have been told by several people I have spoken to that they can not distinguish what I am saying, as though I was talking through cardboard. This is an intermittent problem which has sometimes responded to soft reboot or doing the reactivation cycle. However, the problem soon reoccurs. From my standpoint it is particularly frustrating because I don't hear any difference on my side of the conversation. Incoming volume is sharp and clear. I spent about an hour with a second level tech at Verizon yesterday during which he called the phone about 7 times. During those calls the quality of my voice changed from call to call without changing location. I thought it might be the microphone itself, but, interestingly, when I use my BlueAnt Supertooth 3 the perceived voice quality is just as bad, so it has to be a problem with the transmitter in the phone itself. Anyway, Verizon is sending me a new unit since they are as stumped as I am. I haven't heard of this problem from anyone else which is reassuring.
    08-21-10 01:26 PM
    A little over two weeks later. The "new" factory reconditioned Bold is perfect. No more complaints about not being able to understand what I am saying. Tests made with both Bluetooth and direct microphone communication to my voicemail sound clear and sharp. Everything else works impeccably. Great phone. Not sure what was wrong with the first one, but I am happy with its replacement.
    09-04-10 08:34 PM
    My 9650's touch screen doesn't work. No matter how I hold it, I can't get the darn screen............... Huh? It DOESN'T? Oh. Well, in that case.............

I'm just LOVING my Bold. Hands down so much better than the Tour. I see where my track pad is "crooked," but no where near bothersome at all. I've had no issues with mine. (Knock on wood!!)
    09-04-10 08:49 PM
    No Problems with my Bold so far. I adjusted the trackpad so it is now level. Overall the phone works great
    09-08-10 10:42 AM
    Heck I would have taken a crooked trackball if it would have just worked. lol.
    That made me chuckle a bit.

09-08-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD