I sold an AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9000 and have to ship it to Canada. The buyer told me that the Bold 9000 won't work in Canada. Is this true? Any solutions?
    Last edited by Stefan C; 06-21-10 at 12:07 PM.
    06-21-10 11:57 AM
    Is it unlocked? Have you contacted AT&T to release the PIN?

What Canadian carrier does the buyer have?
    06-21-10 12:00 PM
    Phone is currently not-unlocked. It is on the AT&T network.

I think the buyer is on the Telus network but I'm not sure.

He said that it wouldn't work even if it were unlocked because it wouldn't read the SIM card properly. Here are the two links he provided me with:

Unlocked AT&T Blackberry BOLD 9000 on Rogers network..error.. please help - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

Re: Unlocked 9000 (Rogers/ATT) to Bell/TELUS? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    06-21-10 12:05 PM
    If he were to unlock it, it would work in Canada, right?

Why do I need to contact AT&T regarding the PIN? I don't even use BB Messenger.
    06-21-10 12:07 PM
    Note: I'm not sending him my AT&T SIM card.
    06-21-10 12:09 PM
    I would suggest posting your question in the Unlocking Forum. The unlockers who post there would know if the 9000 would work on Telus if unlocked.

I am also unsure if it would be possible for him to even unlock the device without the AT&T SIM card. The unlockers will know that and help you.

You probably should unlock it first before selling it. AT&T should give you a free unlock code. Otherwise, the unlockers can provide you one for a small fee.
    06-21-10 12:12 PM
    If he were to unlock it, it would work in Canada, right?

Why do I need to contact AT&T regarding the PIN? I don't even use BB Messenger.
    If the PIN is still registered to your account, nobody else can use the BlackBerry on their BIS.
    06-21-10 12:14 PM
    If the PIN is still registered to your account, nobody else can use the BlackBerry on their BIS.
    Oh. I see. So how would I "unregister"/unlink the PIN from my account?
    06-21-10 12:16 PM
    Oh. I see. So how would I "unregister"/unlink the PIN from my account?
    Call AT&T and tell them you want to release the PIN.
    06-21-10 12:19 PM
    Call AT&T and tell them you want to release the PIN.
    Ok. And if I called AT&T and asked for an unlock code AND to release the PIN, would I have to pay anything for either of those two?

Also, to unlock the phone and to release the PIN, do I need to manually input anything into the phone or does AT&T automatically do it? I ask this because the phone is all packed up and ready to be shipped.
    06-21-10 12:25 PM
    Ok. And if I called AT&T and asked for an unlock code AND to release the PIN, would I have to pay anything for either of those two?

Also, to unlock the phone and to release the PIN, do I need to manually input anything into the phone or does AT&T automatically do it? I ask this because the phone is all packed up and ready to be shipped.
    Get the unlock code first. There should be no charge for the unlock code. Tell them you are traveling out of the country and need an unlock code. You will need to input the code on the device.

Then call AT&T again and have them release the PIN after you verify it is unlocked.
    06-21-10 12:28 PM
    My wife is currently using an ATT original 9000 unlocked on the FIDO network (GSM). Unlocked without needing the SIM, and works perfectly. Telus offers the 9700 version (possibly the 9000), and I beleive the 9000 and 9700 have the same technologies. I beleive it will work
    06-21-10 12:31 PM
    If I call AT&T and if they ask me why I need the unlock code, should I tell them that I sold the phone and am shipping it to another country?
    06-21-10 12:47 PM
    If I call AT&T and if they ask me why I need the unlock code, should I tell them that I sold the phone and am shipping it to another country?
    No. There is no need to divulge that information. Just tell them you are traveling overseas.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-21-10 12:52 PM
    No. There is no need to divulge that information. Just tell them you are traveling overseas.

If I were to unlock the phone, would I still be able to use it in the US with the AT&T SIM card? Or would it render it useless?
    06-21-10 01:46 PM
    ===== QUOTE lak611 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

If I were to unlock the phone, would I still be able to use it in the US with the AT&T SIM card? Or would it render it useless?
    Mine is unlocked and I'm using it on AT&T.

06-21-10 01:53 PM
    bunch of hogwash.

I'm using an unlocked AT&T Bold 9000 with a Bell SIM Card no problems whatsoever -

Bell and Telus share the same HSPA network in Canada, it works perfectly.

There is an isolated issue with some AT&T blackberries and a certain batch of ROGERS sim cards, but generally can be fixed by either replacing the SIM Card or flashing the Blackberry with Rogers firmware.
    06-23-10 09:39 PM
    Monkey, is correct. AT&T and Rogers share the same bands in the wireless spectrum so there's no need to unlock or do anything to this phone. Just pop in the Rogers SIM card and off you go. I had a Rogers BOLD that I used with my AT&T SIM with no issues.
    06-27-10 04:04 PM
    My unlocked AT&T Bold 9000 works perfectly on the Rogers Network. I made sure that the seller had it released from the AT&T BIS before he shipped it to me, and it registered just fine on Rogers. No issues at all.
    06-28-10 06:35 AM
    I am on Bell and am using an unlocked AT&T 9000

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD