Sorry if that has already been stated, but I could not find the answer to this question

Is the 9650 for Sprint going to be upgradable to OS 6 when it comes out in the next few months or is it only going to be available on new phones RIM comes out with?

First time poster, thanks for your help
    06-20-10 05:19 PM
    Yea it is, i asked two verizon reps at two different stores. When it's released, we will get emails telling us about the update. This is the main reason i went with the bold. Although i wish i kept my tour instead of exchanging it within the 30 days. I could have just gotten a freaken bold for free, although idk if it would be a new bold.
    06-20-10 05:23 PM
    I spoke to a relative who is an exec with another carrier. carriers wether it's Verizon, Sprint or ATT do NOT know what software is coming out and exactly which phones they will accomodate, only RIM knows. RIM or APPLE for that matter are not going to release a big ticket item like that until they release a new phone that has it. The rumors I have heard and articles I have read talk mostly about touch screen improvements which the 9650 does not have.
    06-20-10 10:59 PM
    The clamshell blackberry is not touchscreen and its running os6. And if you are right about reps not knowing then i guess i was told a bold face lie right to my face by reps at two different stores. sad.
    06-21-10 02:00 AM
    According to all that I read on CB, the Bold 9650 is BB6 compatible and will get the upgrade when the carrier releases it.

The demo done as WES (I think that was the one) of BB6 was reported to have been done on a Bold 9650 which they were announcing at that conference according to postings here on CB. I think I read where Kevin referred to the Bold 9650 being BB6 ready and getting the update.
    06-21-10 06:05 AM
    The clamshell blackberry is not touchscreen and its running os6. And if you are right about reps not knowing then i guess i was told a bold face lie right to my face by reps at two different stores. sad.
    It's supposed to be a version for both touch and non touch is what is rumored. And thats all it is so far is rumors. The poster who stated RIM is the one who decides the release is spot on. We can hope and hope all we want but RIM is the ultimate power that releases, not any provider. They would surely release at least one or maybe more os 6 devices before any upgrade for older units. As far as reps lying, I don't think they lie as much as they are just misinformed of the facts.
    I believe any os 6 for our bolds will be many months down the road yet if at all.
    Last edited by cbreze; 06-21-10 at 09:22 AM.
    06-21-10 09:19 AM
    The mystery 9800 is a slider and is supposed to be touch screen also, thats what the OS6 is "supposed" to be released on. As far as the reps go, they are in sales and will tell you whatever they need to. I have read several articles on the mystery OS-6 and they really talk mostly about imprvements to the touch screen applications. I am not saying it wont be on the 9650, I'm just saying rumors are the work of the devil.
    06-21-10 10:28 AM
    This is exactly why I'm holding off upgrading my 8330 to a 9650.

Supposedly the 9650 gets OS6, but none of us know for sure and none of us know how it will perform.

OS6 might get released for it, but it might run sluggish and/or be a half baked release for non-touchscreen devices.
    06-21-10 11:14 AM
    I thought it was actually announced at WES that BlackBerry 6 would be coming 3Q this year, and that 5 existing devices would support it when it releases, i.e. Bold 9650, Bold 9700, Storm2 9550/9520, and Pearl 9100/9105.
    06-21-10 01:17 PM
    It's my understanding the OS6 will be available for all Bold 9650 owners (regardless of service provider). The only question is when each respective provider will release their official version once RIM makes it available...
    06-21-10 02:15 PM
    the clamshell is going to have touch screen capabilities check the rumors form, it has touch screen sensitivity setting in options.
    06-21-10 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD