At least three USCC reps have told me the reason they are so slow getting new phones is because they test them extensively before releasing them. I don't buy it, but I was wondering how they compare with VZN, ATT, etc. Are USCC phone less prone to have problems?
    06-20-10 10:54 AM
    The problems you've had with USCellular's GPS capability have not been reported with other carriers. I can only speak to Verizon, but their initial release of the Storm and the disastrous OS 5 release for the Tour, suggest that Verizon rushed the phone and OS to market before it was ready.
    06-20-10 11:04 AM
    Keep in mind - those may be 3 general phone releases, not all of them have to be BlackBerry devices. I know they have planned release of Android devices coming soon as well.

All carriers do testing of devices, and most are rather intensive prior to release.
    06-20-10 11:06 AM
    Some of the problems they have had with some of their feature phones seems to debunk the "extensive testing" theory.

But I know for a fact that they have chose not to release many phones because they failed USCC's testing. Those phones went on to have serious problems on other characters.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
    06-20-10 12:58 PM
    i know us cellular really tests the phone to make sure they will work in the real world before releasing a bad phone to customers. i bet if you asked AT&T i sure they would have wished they had tested the iphone4 out more before releasing it to the customers only to have signal problems. Now everyone with the iphone4 are not happy and they want a new phone
    07-30-10 04:07 PM
    I'm very much with BigE its somewhere in the middle. Does US Cellular do a lot of testing on their phones before releasing, I would say, yes. Does US Cellular not have have exclusive phones like the storm and droid, Also, yes. But, US Cellular also does not have the HUGE market share that big V has either. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'll stick with SOLID coverage (in my area), and decent price over new fancy, questionable phones.
    07-31-10 08:43 AM
    I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
    This. The answer you got is the same one I've always been given every time I've asked the same question, and I've been a customer for the last 10 years. That's a long time to keep repeating the same old lines, so I guess there must be some grain of truth to it.
    08-01-10 02:48 PM
    Some maybe. My husband got talked into upgrading to the Curve 2 this last time and in marginal reception areas the new one stinks! I'm totally dead at my house and with the old curve I could send and receive emails and texts. Phone would ring but I couldn't take a call. This new one just sits here sucking battery.
    08-17-10 05:17 PM
    At least three USCC reps have told me the reason they are so slow getting new phones is because they test them extensively before releasing them. I don't buy it, but I was wondering how they compare with VZN, ATT, etc. Are USCC phone less prone to have problems?
    No..They do not test them anymore then anyone else.

They just need to give more money to BB to get the good stuff first.

They got the claim shell, Ack!

Tim
    08-22-10 12:38 AM
    They are coming out with the HTC desire, which is supposed to be a pretty good phone. Also, they will be getting the Samsung Galaxy and some yet-to-be announced LG phones, all Androids. They sure don't get the latest BBs-except the Clamshell that I have no interest in.
    08-22-10 11:45 AM
    They is no other "cdma" blackberries available for them to carry besides the storm and that is an exclusive to verizon. The torch is a gsm device and it is also an exclusive to at&t. The bb flip is the only new cdma bb to be confirmed for any cdma carrier.

You have to remember that uscc is a regional carrier. They cant get every smartphone out there.

And "YES" uscc does test there phones more then other carriers. Verizon has had lots of problems with quite a few phones (smart and dumb phones). Phones that uscc tested and realized the phones need more work from the manufacturer. So they delayed the release.
    08-22-10 03:41 PM
    I agree with the above. As an example I watched as the other carriers released OS 5 for the Tour and all had issues and peple were complaining. When USC finally released a version it was a stable version. I've seen this play out several times. Personally I prefer waiting for something stable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 06:33 PM
    Unfortunately, the better (in my opinion) BlackBerries go to Verizon and AT&T. I'm stuck with USCC because I have four people on a family plan. It would be prohibitively expensive to buy four new phones. Besides, my wife is still under contract.
    I have been with USCC for several years. I've had the 8830 and two 8330s. All of them had problems with gps (until I bought Garmin), the dreaded hourglass, and frequent battery pulls, although OS4.5 helped. So, I've decided to dump BlackBerry and go with the HTC Desire when it comes out (Aug. 27 supposedly). I can't compare USCC's phone problems with other carriers since it has been many years since I had AT&T. I simply suspect that part of the reason USCC can't get better phones more quickly is because they are rather small compared to the big four.
    08-23-10 02:03 PM
    I simply suspect that part of the reason USCC can't get better phones more quickly is because they are rather small compared to the big four.
    Correct, the only BB VZW carried that USCC didn't is the Storm, which was a VZW exclusive and was developed in cooperation with RIM. Others like the Bold 9800 and 9700 and the Torch are either exclusives or a CDMA version was never made.
    08-23-10 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD