I just cant help but to wonder if I'm the only other person with an 83** series blackberry...I just cant bring myself to upgrade to the 8530. It seems SO much more cheap and light.
    06-20-10 01:40 AM
    oh your not alone on this one. I am waiting for the 9650 myself, but lately have been leaning towards Iphone. Only complaint I ever hear about them is battery and the Iphone 4 seems to have addressed that issue. I don't know what to do really.

hang in there, just like the sunrise the answer will eventually reveal itself.
    06-20-10 07:42 AM
    Don't feel alone, the 83xx is still very popular, there are TON's of people around with that device still. That device was built like a tank but didn't have the form factor to match. If they made that device, with a better screen and more memory, I'd never leave it.
    06-20-10 07:44 AM
    Ive had several 8300s and 8310s, and they are a great device and really set the standard for RIM for a couple of years. That being said, the newer ones are so much faster, have better cameras, and the 9700 has a ton of app space.
    06-20-10 09:36 AM
    I have an 8330, that I just got in February, and I love it. Furthermore, if I see a blackberry in public, I'd say that something like 9 times out of 10 its an 83xx series.

Obsolescence is a state of mind, not a cold hard fact. If you still enjoy it, and it is useful to you, and serves your needs, then it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by xyritheon; 06-20-10 at 09:48 AM.
    06-20-10 09:43 AM
    All you have to do is take a trip to a local Wal-Mart or similar store and notice how many 83xx's are around. Still popular my friend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 09:57 AM
    The 8300 series is the most popular Blackberry series, for now. I think Bold might start to pass it up.
    06-20-10 09:58 AM
    Yes, the 83** may be getting along a bit, but it's sturdy and has a great keypad. I used my 8320 for 2 1/2 years before giving in to the charms of the Bold 9700.

83** still has a lot of fans, though. Did you see this earlier thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/who...g-83xx-470397/
    06-20-10 10:13 AM
    83xx is incredibly popular and still is the most owned BB device in the US. That being said, it has become obsolete. At this point the 9630 is obsolete. Anything without wifi and a trackpad is on it's way out. Pick up the new Bold and you will be on the cutting edge of BB..for a little bit anyways!
    06-20-10 10:22 AM
    Although I've had my 8330 for nearly 3 year's, I was issued the 9350 for work. I will be upgrading soon, leaning toward the 9700. I don't think of the 8330 as obsolete, more like a vintage Mercedes.
    06-20-10 10:33 AM
    I'm sticking with the 8330 until something newer comes to prepaid.
    06-20-10 01:15 PM
    I just upgraded to the 8900 purely for more memory (which it has a ton of). That was my only beef with my 8310. Such a sturdy phone, it took a lot of abuse and never once quit on me!

06-20-10 01:38 PM
    There is nothing wrong with the 8530 I had the Tour and couldn't wait for the new Bold to come out. Just too many Tour replacements and so I decided to just get the Curve. I have had it now for almost two months and no issues with it . I am not new to BB I used to sell wireless and am very tech savvy. It has been deemed as an entry level BB but even seasoned BB users will like it. I do.
    I do wish it had the memory like the new Bold, but all in all, it has been a great little device. So don't short change this little Curve. It gets the job done too.
    06-20-10 01:45 PM
    My wife and I bought Curves almost a year ago when we switched from Alltel to Verizon. They run great. They could use bigger memory cards though. I'm hoping by the time I'm eligible for an upgrade Rim will have all of the kinks worked out of the Slider and it will be on Verizon.

06-20-10 02:40 PM
    83xx obsolete? Yeah, I suppose it is. The lack of memory/slow processor really irritates me a lot.
    That being said, I'm gonna wait to see about the rumored onyx delta (touchscreen bold ) before I upgrade.

06-20-10 04:06 PM
    my contract is done but keeping with the curve for now till I find a phone in canada that really hit my attention (leaning toward a top end htc android).

I love my curve except for the slow performance and lack of app spaces
    06-20-10 09:29 PM
    I still have my good ol 8330m and I wouldn't give it up for the world!

06-20-10 10:03 PM
    I have had my 8320 since last November!! It runs great, and gets me through my day.
    It is my trusty, reliable friend.. and it keeps working!
    06-20-10 10:21 PM
    It's just too slow, and even opera mini can't save it. I only web surf when I have to and once I answer my question I'm done. There is no browsing to kill time, it's just too slow. I'm also constantly deleting apps to make room to try new ones. It's like windows98 on dialup. Just not enough oomph in this guy.
    06-20-10 11:42 PM
    I am still using my 8320 rite now and I just left the airport a couple hours ago and I saw 3 other people with 8300 series bb's so they are alive and still well

06-21-10 04:51 AM
    The 83xx series are the best selling BB's ever. They are the most reliable workhorses. For most of us, we just need reliable email and BBM. The web browser blows, but I have Bolt and honestly I"m not looking for a full feature browser. I just need to be able to look up something quickly.

Until I drop this in my sink or something, I'm sticking with my 8330 on Sprint.
    06-21-10 08:31 PM
    I've had my 8330 for about 13 months now and in no hurry to give it up. It does everything I need it to do. It still has the original trackball and works like new. I'll probably keep it until it dies.
    06-21-10 08:47 PM
    My 8320 is great really realible although I have the 9700 as well I still use my curve even when I'm just surfin wi-fi from home(like now) lol

06-21-10 11:36 PM
    I was feeling the same way but I just don't want to take the plunge and waste my upgrade until I see what may come out this fall. I'm probably the only Crackberry Idol contestant still rocking the Curve but it works for me and gets the job done lol. I run tons of apps, bbm & surf the net (no lag time for me) so aside from more memory and better screen res, I just don't feel the need to run to my local Sprint store yet.
    06-22-10 12:34 AM
    I own a BlackBerry Curve 8310 via my work, and I sometimes maintain the BES server as well. Not only is the BlackBerry 83XX series obsolete in the context of available BlackBerry devices, but if you expand your horizons to include all available smartphones available, I would say BlackBerry itself is quickly becoming obsolete. I touched upon this a little bit in another thread I just replied to. I don't know what BlackBerry could do at this point, but they've been absolutely left in the dust by the Droids and iPhones of the world, specifically because BlackBerry no longer offers anything unique to the user that can't already be done faster and better by other smartphones. A part of me is sad about it, in the same way I was sad when I watched my reliable old Nextel become completely worthless so many years ago, and I hope BlackBerry rights itself and figures out a way to legitimately compete.
    06-27-10 06:30 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD