Check it out.

http://bbry.lv/9Rzk9B

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 02:08 PM
    Nice spot.

From the number (8910 - the 10 gives you the clue) and from reading the release article, this phone has no WiFi.
    06-18-10 02:18 PM
    I've been watching this for a while. It's been in development for the Asian markets mostly but i guess it will come as a lower cost alternative to the 8900 potentially.
    06-18-10 02:26 PM
    I saw a picture of the presentation... and apparently this device has a trackball!! Is this possible? I mean, I thought that RIm had taken a non returning step towards the trackpad.....
    06-18-10 02:27 PM
    06-18-10 02:42 PM
    I saw a picture of the presentation... and apparently this device has a trackball!! Is this possible? I mean, I thought that RIm had taken a non returning step towards the trackpad.....
    RIM just took the 8900 hardware, upped the internal RAM to 512 so's it'll run OS 6. (this bodes ill for many a 256Mb BlackBerry owner) took out the WiFi (don't want those Asians getting free connectivity - thanks- RIM) and wheeled it out the door to those 2G networks in the developping world.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that since they now have a 512Mb 89xx, device and they probably just took the WiFi chip off the board, we could just see and 89xx + WiFi over here.

Of course it will still have a trackball.

So, why did they not do this with the 9700 and make a 9710? Interesting.
    06-19-10 06:57 AM
    If anyone here gets their hands on one of these, please PM me. Have a question.
    06-19-10 09:51 AM
    The 8900 was/is a great phone but no touch pad or 3G = fail.
    06-20-10 03:38 PM
    I thought the Atlas was the 8910 which has a trackpad?? Hmmm RIM screwing with the Asian markets now by leaving out key features.

06-20-10 06:41 PM
    Hmmmm, Trackball???

I guess they ran out of TrackWheels when they were going through the Old Parts bin....

06-20-10 08:29 PM
    I don't understand the marketing behind releasing an old BB to an Asian market with phones that are more futuristic than a trackball. This is marketing suicide.
    06-21-10 10:33 AM
    I don't understand the marketing behind releasing an old BB to an Asian market with phones that are more futuristic than a trackball. This is marketing suicide.
    100% agreed!!!!

Apples comes up with the Iphone 4 and HTC with the evo.
    And RIM wants to get the leadership with a "old" 8900...
    That�s ridiculous!

Don`t get me wrong the 8900 (8910) is still a great device, but
    why not an 9700 with 3G?!
    I would rather prefer the Bold 9000 with upgraded memory!
    06-21-10 01:48 PM
    The biggest Asian market is China, and RIM has a serious disadvantage there. It's called BIS. The government can't monitor it so they don't allow it. From what I understand you can sign up for a BES service that's controlled by the company though and indirectly by the government.

The Wi-Fi move I am not too sure, but as data connectivity is seriously restricted I suspect they are just taking it out and replacing it with more RAM to become an app phone.
    06-21-10 02:18 PM
    The biggest Asian market is China, and RIM has a serious disadvantage there. It's called BIS. The government can't monitor it so they don't allow it. From what I understand you can sign up for a BES service that's controlled by the company though and indirectly by the government.

The Wi-Fi move I am not too sure, but as data connectivity is seriously restricted I suspect they are just taking it out and replacing it with more RAM to become an app phone.
    Okay, maybe there are some problems with "freedom".
    But why not a device with a faster processor and trackpad?
    06-21-10 05:18 PM
    Maybe its a way to keep costs low for the phone in developing countries.

06-25-10 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD