So what does everyone think of this? Did any of you current Bold owners purchase the 9650 from VZW as an upgrade from the 9630?

If your unaware, anyone calling VZW to get a replacement 9630 because of an issue, they are being told that they will replace their current 9630 with a 9650 at no cost.

I see this forum growing largely in the coming weeks and the 9630 forum shrinking...
    06-18-10 11:06 AM
    i am getting my phone on Monday after calling yesterday. Looking forward to switching forums
    06-18-10 11:56 AM
    Well lets clarify. I had a tour was offered early upgrade to Bold and took it. Saw the rumors about getting Bold's as replacements. Called VZW I will be getting a BOLD but it will be a FRU not a new one.
    06-18-10 12:26 PM
    Well lets clarify. I had a tour was offered early upgrade to Bold and took it. Saw the rumors about getting Bold's as replacements. Called VZW I will be getting a BOLD but it will be a FRU not a new one.
    Do you really think there are FRUs since the phone was only released two weeks ago?
    06-18-10 12:42 PM
    I've been having trackball issues for months. But just ignored them, not wanting to go thru the hassle of getting a refurb Tour that I would have to restore all of my info to.

Saw Adam's post this morning, made the phonecall, and I'll be a proud Bold 9650 owner by Monday (the hassle of restoring data doesn't seem so daunting now, lol). Crackberry saves the day yet again .
    06-18-10 12:43 PM
    I purchased the Bold 9650 for $550 full retail ... Then I read this post. I activated my old Tour, which did have trackball issues, called to complain, and am being sent a bold 9650 as a replacement.

I then boxed up the Bold 9650 I paid full retail for and am sending it back for a refund.
    06-18-10 02:17 PM
    Do you really think there are FRUs since the phone was only released two weeks ago?
    Jump over to the 9630 thread and you will see many fru pictures. There are a bunch of Fru's employee returns, testers, etc......

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ve...6/index27.html
    06-18-10 02:26 PM
    A few of my friends got brand new in box bolds ... you can tell once you get the tracking number ... if the weight of the shipment is 2.0 lbs/.9 kg ... your getting a brand new in box phone!
    06-18-10 02:31 PM
    yeah i had an issue with my tour and they sent me a bold.. however the bold has no camera so i called and they are sending me Another one, i believe brand new in the box because they said i had to return all the extra's that come in the box.

Im not sure why in the world they would send me a non camera phone. IDK why rim even makes one.

the track pad takes some getting use too
    06-18-10 02:41 PM
    I've been having trackball issues for months. But just ignored them, not wanting to go thru the hassle of getting a refurb Tour that I would have to restore all of my info to.

Saw Adam's post this morning, made the phonecall, and I'll be a proud Bold 9650 owner by Monday (the hassle of restoring data doesn't seem so daunting now, lol). Crackberry saves the day yet again .
    This is exactly my story as well. Been just living with the poor trackball (and spotty GPS, and staticky headphone port) for months until I saw the news on CB. I gave it a shot and have a Bold on the way.

Also, the rep that took my call was having computer problems and the whole process ended up taking close to an hour, so as a thank you for being patient she said she was sending a NEW Bold and not a use/refurbed one. Cool huh.
    Last edited by teookie; 06-18-10 at 02:47 PM.
    06-18-10 02:45 PM
    yeah i had an issue with my tour and they sent me a bold.. however the bold has no camera so i called and they are sending me Another one, i believe brand new in the box because they said i had to return all the extra's that come in the box.

Im not sure why in the world they would send me a non camera phone. IDK why rim even makes one.

the track pad takes some getting use too
    They make non-camera versions for companies/people who need a good business phone but can't have a camera inside their workplace. As far as I know.

But good deal on those getting a Bold as a replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 02:48 PM
    Makes me wish my previous Tour didn't fail until now. My replacement Tour works fine so i won't be calling for a Bold replacement. But that's a really good deal!

06-18-10 03:03 PM
    I called today and will be getting the Bold 9650 on Tuesday...
    06-18-10 03:03 PM
    Makes me wish my previous Tour didn't fail until now. My replacement Tour works fine so i won't be calling for a Bold replacement. But that's a really good deal!
    You honestly might want to rethink that one, Chrisy. Especially if the device is under manufacturer warranty. This is the phone we should have gotten in the first place...
    06-18-10 03:05 PM
    Jump over to the 9630 thread and you will see many fru pictures. There are a bunch of Fru's employee returns, testers, etc......

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ve...6/index27.html
    I see that now. Who knew?!
    06-18-10 03:27 PM
    You honestly might want to rethink that one, Chrisy. Especially if the device is under manufacturer warranty. This is the phone we should have gotten in the first place...
    Agreed Chrisy, Call them up
    06-18-10 03:31 PM
    So what does everyone think of this? Did any of you current Bold owners purchase the 9650 from VZW as an upgrade from the 9630?

If your unaware, anyone calling VZW to get a replacement 9630 because of an issue, they are being told that they will replace their current 9630 with a 9650 at no cost.

I see this forum growing largely in the coming weeks and the 9630 forum shrinking...
    That's cool. But its basically the same phone.

06-18-10 03:39 PM
    called this morning with my tour and asked them to fix up my trackball issues. There are actual issues with my trackball, but they are minuscule compared to my original 2 or 3 other Tours, so I haven't ever called to get it fixed. They had me do a factory reset to be sure it wasn't software-related, then offered me the Bold. They say that there is no Tour stock left and they are sending Bolds as replacements.

Getting mine on Monday afternoon! I'm very excited. I had been thinking about defecting to an HTC Incredible over my Tour, but since the 9650 will be the only current BB to support OS 6.0, This might just keep me on BlackBerry for some time!
    06-18-10 04:08 PM
    Stupid tour, I ended up buying a 8530 outright just to get away from it's problems, then ended up buying a 9650 several months later...

Granted, I'd still do all of that again rather than wait it out with the Tour until the 9650 released....
    06-18-10 04:11 PM
    A few of my friends got brand new in box bolds ... you can tell once you get the tracking number ... if the weight of the shipment is 2.0 lbs/.9 kg ... your getting a brand new in box phone!
    Hmm mine says 3lbs?

06-18-10 05:37 PM
    It's a good possibility. People have returned their units for a replacement due to poor battery performance, trackpads, etc.

I ended up returning my first unit because it had radio signal issues and the battery was loosing juice as though it had a hole in it.
    I'm sure that unit will be given to someone.
    06-19-10 01:01 AM
    I have an opinion on these like-new replacements. The 9650 was by all accounts due in February, called the Tour2. At the last minute (really last minute) it was decided to change the name to Bold. Even CX missed this one, and he is the most reliable source CB has.
    My hypothesis is the Tour2 was already in production, and production was halted to make the change. The tour2's that had been made already would have to had been unboxed, taken apart, and reconfigured as a Bold. These would be the brown box like-new replacements.
    Its just a theory of course, but anyone who has been following the 9650 forum is well used to speculation by now!

06-19-10 01:16 AM
    I took my tour into the store yesterday for what would have been my 4th replacement. I had planned to try and just get them to give me the bold but didn't know if I could get them to do it or not. This was before I saw on here that they were doing it regularly. He told me if I wanted they would just give me a bold instead. I thought, damn that was easy.

When I asked him if it would be new or refurb he said both. He said that it will be a new phone but it is listed as refurb and will come as a refurb but the phone itself is actually brand new since they don't have true refurbs yet.
    06-19-10 09:07 AM
    I have an opinion on these like-new replacements. The 9650 was by all accounts due in February, called the Tour2. At the last minute (really last minute) it was decided to change the name to Bold. Even CX missed this one, and he is the most reliable source CB has.
    My hypothesis is the Tour2 was already in production, and production was halted to make the change. The tour2's that had been made already would have to had been unboxed, taken apart, and reconfigured as a Bold. These would be the brown box like-new replacements.
    Its just a theory of course, but anyone who has been following the 9650 forum is well used to speculation by now!

That's a good theory but I think since those Tours that were changed into Bolds were never touched by end-user hands, they do not count as "re-furbs". That's at least my thought!
    06-19-10 09:14 AM
    people are posting pics of the upc on the Bold box they received and its showing the typical brown box and an FRU as well.

who knows
    06-19-10 11:13 AM
176 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD