Here's what I want:

I want a program that I run on my computer that will copy every single setting, every single program, every single one and zero on my BB and save it to a file (profile). When needed, this program should be able to blow away everything currently installed on my BB and restore one of these profiles so that my BB is sitting EXACTLY where it was when I created that profile.

No muss, no fuss, no CODs, no JADs, no dinking around with finding the friggin codes to reset all my apps (and I only have FIVE!!), no resetting all my icons, no resetting all my themes, no readding all my peeps to BBM - nada! Just run a program, select a profile, click "Go baby go!" and when the dust settles (and the BB comes back up from being rebooted) - I'm sitting pretty with a FULLY FUNCTIONING BlackBerry. (BES activation aside)

Does this exist? Is this too much to ask? It's just like ghosting a computer or hard drive - it's all ones and zeros, right? Why can I never never NEVER get my BB back exactly like it was after trying out one of the hybrids, or after loading up a new official OS and it not working out? Three functions: a "Save Profile" button, a "Load Profile" button and a "Go baby go!" button. That's it!

Please PLEASE tell me this exists. I'll PAY decent good money for it! lol
    06-15-10 07:36 AM
    You talking about a disk imaging solution, and no, one does not exist.

While I am able to see the advantage to using a method like this in some circumstances, I have to agree with nfaze a bit. Most of the time, folks are "upgrading" their OS, not reverting to older versions, so I'm not even sure how practical an imaging solution would actually be. If you do the backup and restore procedure correctly, all you should really have to do is re-activate a few apps and possibly re-enter your authentication info. I've never had any issues with my settings coming back over.
    06-15-10 10:20 AM
    isn't cell phone cloning illegal?
    06-15-10 11:15 AM
    isn't cell phone cloning illegal?
    What the OP is referring to is being able to make image-level backups of his device...not actually "cloning" his blackberry in that sense (2 devices with same network identifier).
    06-15-10 11:34 AM
    What the OP is referring to is being able to make image-level backups of his device...not actually "cloning" his blackberry in that sense (2 devices with same network identifier).
    ahh, gotcha!
    06-15-10 02:58 PM
    I was actually thinking of that after I replied earlier - if some program did exist to image a BB OS, what would you think if your BB was attached to a BES and there was sensitive information on there; I somehow got ahold of your BB, imaged your OS, and restored it to another BB of the same model, that wouldn't be too good. I suppose such a program would ask for a password (if any) before imaging, but it's still something to ponder.
    Well, as the second device would have a different PIN, this would be no different than stealing a DM backup of the device and putting it on another one. The BES server identifies units by PIN, so no new messages could be delivered even if, hypothetically, you could actually image these things. All you'd really be able to view is the existing messages, same as if you restored a backup. The PIN is hardware specific, so it would not be transferred.
    06-15-10 04:03 PM
    (sorry, been busy)

Aside from the "I can do darn near sorta kinda the same thing in sixty steps with a blindfold on while spinning seven times in a counter-clockwise direction because I've done it so many times" thing, is there something STOPPING a developer from pulling this off?

Meh, whatever. All I'm saying is, if someone were to come up with a better mousetrap - a one button Imaging program that worked the first time, every time - they could probably make a couple of bucks.

S.
    06-16-10 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD