Hi guys, I've had the 8310 for a few years now and am FINALLY able to upgrade to the 9700. It is on the way, I can't wait to get it. I have a few basic questions if anybody doesn't mind....

What memory can I expect out of the box?

The (few) apps I have, will I be able to transfer them to my new phone? (Like quicklaunch and pressing the Q to compose a text, I can't remember what that's called.)

What OS does the 9700 have and is there a new one I should upgrade to once I get going?

Other than more memory and the trackpad vs the trackball, is there anything much inherently different than the other BB's, or the 8300 anyway?

Thanks!
    06-14-10 05:38 PM
    Memory... I'm sure you're looking at free memory... normally I run around 120MB.

Should be use DM's Device Transfer... you might have to change your registered PIN with some companies to get all the apps to work, but most will do it without question.

OS... I don't know what version AT&T ships with, but it should be somewhere in the 5.0.0.6xx range.

Differences... how about a lot better camera, and a much better screen resolution (480x360)... Wifi, GPS... and I'm sure I missed another one or two.
    06-14-10 05:46 PM
    What memory can I expect out of the box?

135-140ish out of the box?

The (few) apps I have, will I be able to transfer them to my new phone? (Like quicklaunch and pressing the Q to compose a text, I can't remember what that's called.)

Should transfer with Device Switch Wizard along with all your settings

What OS does the 9700 have and is there a new one I should upgrade to once I get going?

Think it comes with .3xx, definitely need to upgrade to at least .656

Other than more memory and the trackpad vs the trackball, is there anything much inherently different than the other BB's, or the 8300 anyway?

Keyboard is a little different, some hate it some love it, took me a few days to get used to, love it now
    06-14-10 05:49 PM
    Wow, thank you so much Guys! Dang with my Curve I'm darn lucky if I can keep the memory at 20!! Most of the times its in the high teens, for Gods sake. Plus I'm sick to death of the trackball getting stuck. I would have bought the 9000 when it came out if I had been able to but now I'm glad I had to wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 05:57 PM
    You're gonna love the 9700! The Trackpad is the bomb dot com.
    06-14-10 06:32 PM
    What is device switch wizard?

And thanks Rocketman!!

06-14-10 07:07 PM
    9700 is win! I suggest getting a case for that delicate little devil! Preferable an Otterbox Commuter! I just got mine today, and I must say. It's feels really awesome! Adds almost nothing to it's form factor, looks like it can take a hit, and looks freaking sexy! I got mine for like $25 bucks or so online somewhere. Great value.

06-14-10 07:19 PM
    Device Switch Wizard is in Desktop Manager, makes it really freakin easy to switch everything including your settings from your old device to your new one. Make sure you back everything up just in case first, check out the How-to forums for more info, I can find the link in a few minutes.

How to back up 3rd party apps: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

Also, I agree with chrisvee, definitely get a case for it and keep the 9700 in great condition, I've been rocking the Otterbox Commuter, you can find it on Amazon pretty cheap. If you're pretty rough look at the Defender or a heavy duty case
    Last edited by joey1910; 06-14-10 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Link added
    06-14-10 07:27 PM
    Fantastic battery on the 9700!!! You will notice a big difference.
    I use Case-Mate Signature series on it, provides super protection although it's a bit on the bulky side.
    I run OS 405 on mine, only just upgraded from 296 (?). Also, I use the Real_Hero theme that has the big flip clock and weather, great theme (you can get it right here on CrackBerry). You can use BBweather or WeatherEye (free from the BB app store), which seems to update more often than BBweather, which is $10, go figure!
    Anyways, good luck with yur 9700, you will love it!!
    06-14-10 07:33 PM
    Congrats, youre gonna love it.
    06-14-10 08:10 PM
    Thank you, everybody! You're awesome!
    06-15-10 08:26 AM
    I upgraded from the 8320, and it's like night and day.
    06-15-10 09:06 AM
    welcome to the 9700 family
    06-15-10 09:35 AM
    Thanks! If it doesn't come today, I'm going to go a little nutty. Just a little, you understand.
    06-15-10 01:42 PM
    Thanks! If it doesn't come today, I'm going to go a little nutty. Just a little, you understand.
    I'm pretty sure the 2 days it took to ship were the longest 2 days of my life, so yes, I know how you feel lol
    06-15-10 04:38 PM
    Your in for a real treat, let us know how you like it.

06-15-10 04:39 PM
    Is it okay to cuss on here? DAMNIT, it didn't come today! And I will be out of town all day tomorrow, just for the day. I hope it's here waiting for me when I get home.
    06-15-10 06:37 PM
    FINALLY came today! I love it, love it, love it! So smooth, totally cool.

A question: the font on just the browser pages is extremely tiny, how can I fix that?
    06-17-10 03:34 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks again to all of you for your help getting me started. I've had my 9700 for a few days now and I absolutely love it! It's everything and more I thought it would be!
    06-18-10 08:52 PM
    I had an 8320 that the trackball was constantly getting stuck on....I graduated to a 9700. It completely rocks. You are gonna LOVE IT TO PIECES!
    06-18-10 11:39 PM
    9700 is win! I suggest getting a case for that delicate little devil! Preferable an Otterbox Commuter! I just got mine today, and I must say. It's feels really awesome! Adds almost nothing to it's form factor, looks like it can take a hit, and looks freaking sexy! I got mine for like $25 bucks or so online somewhere. Great value.

Hey, I had gone ahead and ordered the Otterbox Commuter, too, which came yesterday, and I really like it. I was worried it might be too bulky, but it's perfect, smooth, and does look like it could take a hit. Great protector for my 9700!
    06-23-10 04:14 PM
    Sorry don't know if you got your answer to the browser thing. The default is automatically small with the ability to zoom in, but you can change the default view to column (when in browser - options - general properties - default view)

Enjoy your 9700, nothing better. Make sure you check out some different themes and apps, and my favorite, the wallpaper section of the forums to change that background all the time (well I do anyway )
    06-23-10 04:54 PM
    Yes, I did get it straightened out, thank you very much for your help. I do love the 9700, it is way better than the 8310. Someone else said the difference is night and day, and now I know exactly what they meant by that! I change the background all the time, too, probably several times a day depending on my mood. Sometimes I'll have pics of my kids, other times I'll have beautiful scenery, that's my other fav. FUn!
    06-23-10 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD