I changed my casing for my bold 9700 cause the old one had a crack on it but now, my volume buttons don't work. Everything else is fine except for volume on calls/ and music. Any suggestions??
    06-14-10 11:08 AM
    You changed the case... suggestion... take it apart again and see if it looks ok, or if you pinched a wire or something else was put together wrong.
    06-14-10 01:11 PM
    You changed the case... suggestion... take it apart again and see if it looks ok, or if you pinched a wire or something else was put together wrong.
    I tried it and it looks okay...I don't know cause the volume buttons can be pushed and seems to be working just that nothing happens when I push up to turn up volume or push doen to turn dowm volume...so essentially i only have default volume which sucks when i am in loud areas...
    06-14-10 04:56 PM
    I tried it and it looks okay...I don't know cause the volume buttons can be pushed and seems to be working just that nothing happens when I push up to turn up volume or push doen to turn dowm volume...so essentially i only have default volume which sucks when i am in loud areas...
    Hey, I was searching to see if anyone had a fix for this because I just noticed the same problem on my 9700 this week when I changed my housing. I even took it back apart to make sure that all of the contacts were in the right places and it all seems fine to me, so I'm totally miffed here.

Did you happen to figure out a solution?
    07-05-10 04:46 PM
    Test your switches - Options>Screen/Keyboard>Key Tone, turn ON, Save. ALL of the buttons (keys/trackpad too) should make a beeping sound when pressed. If they don't, they're either broken or maybe not making proper contact with the main board. If you suspect a broken button switch, switch them around and see if they beep. You don't need to put the bezel on when testing, the phone will boot up without it.

If they all beep okay, it's software, but I doubt it since everything worked before you changed the housing.

If you need switches, lmk. They're all the same for the 9700 and 85xx.
    07-05-10 05:43 PM
    Test your switches - Options>Screen/Keyboard>Key Tone, turn ON, Save. ALL of the buttons (keys/trackpad too) should make a beeping sound when pressed. If they don't, they're either broken or maybe not making proper contact with the main board. If you suspect a broken button switch, switch them around and see if they beep. You don't need to put the bezel on when testing, the phone will boot up without it.

If they all beep okay, it's software, but I doubt it since everything worked before you changed the housing.

If you need switches, lmk. They're all the same for the 9700 and 85xx.
    Hey, thanks for that.

Yeah, I took it apart and put the original switches back on. It works but only if I'm squeezing the buttons really hard (UP volume is the one giving me problems).
    07-12-10 07:44 PM
    kinda weird i had the same problem on my 9000 when i changed the whole housing..i took it apart and found out the volume rock didn't line up correctly with the main board... but you shouldn't have that problem on the 9700
    07-13-10 11:38 AM
    i had the same problem, it ended up being the little metal contacts fell out so the switch on the side wasnt making contact with anything.. luckilly i found the contacts on the floor and slipped them back on
    07-13-10 11:41 AM
    kinda weird i had the same problem on my 9000 when i changed the whole housing..i took it apart and found out the volume rock didn't line up correctly with the main board... but you shouldn't have that problem on the 9700
    Yeah it all seems to be lining up properly, so I really don't get it...but I'm glad that it's at least working for me now that I know I need to push it harder. It's really sorta bizarre because the Volume Down works fine for me, it't just Volume Up that is difficult.
    07-14-10 02:07 AM
    i had the same problem, it ended up being the little metal contacts fell out so the switch on the side wasnt making contact with anything.. luckilly i found the contacts on the floor and slipped them back on
    Hahaha that had happened to me too initially! Actually, both of mine sorta slipped out while I was disassembling my 9700. But they're working again (one a bit moreso than the other).
    07-14-10 02:09 AM
    Try pushing more firmly and maybe at a slightly different angle. That is how I found out what I needed to do to get mine working again.
    07-14-10 02:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD