Anyone having this problem??? At times, when I plug the charger in, it will not show the icon for charging despite the phone recognising the plug in (clock comes on). I thought it might be charging anyway since the clock comes on but the battery continues draining anyway. So far a battery pull takes care of it but I have been having to do this often.

I even plugged in the phone at night and the battery died out and my alarm did not ring. So far this is slowly becoming a problem for me...
    06-12-10 01:23 PM
    Are you using a wall charger or usb? Is it the original charger that came with the phone or an aftermarket charger? I've had issues with non-oem usb and wall chargers but no issues with the original wall charger and usb cable.
    06-12-10 06:05 PM
    I'm having a kind of similar problem I guess. For me it just seem like the wall charger(original) doesn't fit or like click into the port on the phone as well as it used to. I noticed it just a few days ago that they didn't seem to fit or click like before. I'm not sure if maybe I did something or not. I experienced similar problems though where the phone liked showed the clock but wasn't charging.

Good Post!
    -Russ
    06-12-10 07:11 PM
    My wife had a charging problem on a past phone, turned out it was a damaged pin at the port on her phone. Computer would still recognize it and it was getting a little trickle of power into it, but she'd gone from 4 days on one charge to mere hours with minimal usage. About two weeks later I had to get her a new device, and by then the port was so damaged from constant plugging in that she had to start over, as the store couldn't even get it to work.
    06-12-10 07:50 PM
    Had it happen to me, not the phones fault! Picking it up and forgetting it was still hooked up i mangled the inside of the charger, this could also be done with the constant unplugging and plugging in with carelessness (not saying you are). I just keep telling my self its plastic, not gold, things can and will go wrong.
    06-12-10 07:57 PM
    I'm having a kind of similar problem I guess. For me it just seem like the wall charger(original) doesn't fit or like click into the port on the phone as well as it used to. I noticed it just a few days ago that they didn't seem to fit or click like before. I'm not sure if maybe I did something or not. I experienced similar problems though where the phone liked showed the clock but wasn't charging.

Good Post!
    -Russ
    i had a problem with my storm 2 charger not going inside all the way. This is not currently whats going on but that did happen to me once. I found out that some particles miraculously got inside the port and as it was compacted in (by the charger I assume), it built up to a point that the charger was not able to fit snug inside. I took a small pin and started scrapping slowly around the port inside and cleaned it out. Afterward, the charger fell right into the port nicely.

My current situation however seems software related. The charger fits nicely and securly into the charging port and always switches to the clock screen as its supposed to. The problem is that every now and then, the icon that shows its charging (next to the battery meter) won't come on. Also, the lightning bolt is missing as well.

This has happened more with my verizon car charger than anything else but its also has happened with my RIM wall charger as well.

One pattern that I have noticed is that when it happens, I was usually on a call, then after I end the call while in the charger, I look at the screen and at times lose the lightning bolt. Hense why it happens mostly in the car (im usually on a call via bluetooth while I drive). The problem is that it usually stays that way until I do a battery pull.
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 06-13-10 at 09:17 AM.
    06-13-10 09:14 AM
    My current situation however seems software related. The charger fits nicely and securly into the charging port and always switches to the clock screen as its supposed to. The problem is that every now and then, the icon that shows its charging (next to the battery meter) won't come on. Also, the lightning bolt is missing as well.

This has happened more with my verizon car charger than anything else but its also has happened with my RIM wall charger as well.

One pattern that I have noticed is that when it happens, I was usually on a call, then after I end the call while in the charger, I look at the screen and at times lose the lightning bolt. Hense why it happens mostly in the car (im usually on a call via bluetooth while I drive). The problem is that it usually stays that way until I do a battery pull.
    This is exactly how my issue started.. first w/ the car charger, then even with the wall charger. The Verizon rep basically said "too bad" when I took it in for help w/ the finicky charging port, because it was 1.5years old. His advice was to buy a new one!
    I'm sadly *not* very technologically-advanced, & just haven't been able to use it til I can get a friend to come & help me back it up on my computer. After which I'd like to try to "do something".. which is what lead me here for research. The estimates I've gotten to fix it is more than buying a new cell (with a new 2yr agreement).
    It's just a bunch of bad-business crap to me, as it very much seems like a software issue -especially the more I delve into this, the more people I see that feel the same way!
    06-22-10 01:29 PM
    are you using a 3rd party battery? I just realized that this only happens with my seidio 1700 battery and not my original 1400 BB one. Very interesting find for me......
    06-22-10 01:52 PM
    I have a similar problem. Has to be software because reboots seem to fix it. Not only will it sometimes not give the charging indicator, but sometimes it does give the indicator yet its not charging (it usually maintains the current battery state, but doesn't increase it, according to Meterberry and the BB charge indicator). Very frustrating. Occasionally it states that the charge from the computer usb port is insufficient, but I always use the same port and it works fine for other devices, including my previous blackberry. I've just chalked it up to many of the random software bugs in the device, but it sounds like the problem isn't very common
    06-23-10 08:31 AM
    I have a similar problem. Has to be software because reboots seem to fix it. Not only will it sometimes not give the charging indicator, but sometimes it does give the indicator yet its not charging (it usually maintains the current battery state, but doesn't increase it, according to Meterberry and the BB charge indicator). Very frustrating. Occasionally it states that the charge from the computer usb port is insufficient, but I always use the same port and it works fine for other devices, including my previous blackberry. I've just chalked it up to many of the random software bugs in the device, but it sounds like the problem isn't very common
    so far I isolated my problem to the seidio battery, but in general, I have experienced all the same things you have listed here! As for whether the BB battery has done it also, I'm sure it has. I've only had the seidio for about a month and I still remember things like what you mention happen before that. The only think now thats consistant is the lack of charging from the seidio.

As for the laptop USB issue, that definitely happens with both batteries!
    06-23-10 09:14 AM
    If the phone is overheated it won't charge. I've been running Trapster with GPS on and charging and the charger eventually stops charging to prevent overheating. At least thats why I think it does it.
    06-23-10 10:07 AM
    If the phone is overheated it won't charge. I've been running Trapster with GPS on and charging and the charger eventually stops charging to prevent overheating. At least thats why I think it does it.
    I think you're right! I plugged in the charger and I got no lighting bolt and no charge. I then shut the phone off with the top key and left it on the charger. The LED never lit up orange like its supposed to when its off and charging. After 5 minutes or so, I checked again and the LED was flashing normally.... leading me to believe that it cooled down and started charging again. I then turned the phone back on and WALA!!! Lighting bolt came back again!

So I believe you are right! The phone does not charge when hot, or what the phone considers to be "hot." This is very good info to know as people probably think this is another device flaw!

I'm also willing to bet tech support doesnt know this and will just replace it when people complain about it.
    06-23-10 02:01 PM
    Interesting. Makes sense, although I would have thought that rebooting was pretty power intensive and would heat up the battery more, so not sure why that seems to help. The battery temp shows up on meterberry, so will start checking that when I have the problem. Thanks for the input. Didn't really expect to hear a solution to the problem. Glad I finally stopped lurking on the board and joined in the post.
    06-23-10 04:48 PM
    Think I figured out my problem, and I don't think its temp related. Turn's out that it appears to be a problem with my USB cable. Was using it with an AC adapter while on vacation and it suddenly didn't work for my blackberry or my kindle (both use same connector). I tried my wife's charger and it worked fine. Used my Kindle cable this morning after running Slacker for an hour and a half (battery was quite hot) with the same AC adapter and changed just fine.
    07-07-10 08:22 AM
    i know that charging via the usb cable you are not actually getting the correct voltage the battery needs to charge, unless there is a dedicated usb port that is meant for that, one of my work laptops has this noted with a lightning bolt next to it and it is a stand alone port.
    07-07-10 11:36 AM
    Happens to me a lot when the phone overheats. There's a sensor inside that disables the charging mechanism when the phone is hot. Stupid summer heat

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 02:10 PM
    I know that I'm late on this thread, but I was recently having this same problem. The folks at VZW had no idea how to fix the problem and insisted on giving me a new (used) phone even though I just spent $200 on this NEW phone less than 2 months ago. Anyhow, I was not convinced that the port on my phone was damaged because my phone was able to connect to my computer with no problems, it just was not charging. Eventually, I downgraded the software (b/c I thought it must be a software issue) and now my phone is charging just fine with the wall charger, usb chargers, and all of my after market chargers.
    09-07-10 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD