i've got a tmobile 8320, and i'd like to get a media card. i have no clue what i'm doing.

first of all, is an 8gb card compatible with the 8320?

secondly, it has to be a microsd card, correct?

thirdly, whats the difference between a sd card and a sdhc card? and what would be best for the curve?

i'm looking mainly for something like video & mp3 storage, but mainly what would be the most compatible for the 8320?
    07-02-08 09:33 PM
    1) with the current 4.2 OS the max is 4gb
    with OS 4.5 it will accept an 8gb

2) Yes it does.

3) Can't answer that one

And yes video, music, pics and ringtones are
    what they are primarily used for
    07-02-08 09:36 PM
    Got some info once, but have not been to totally comfirm it. Any SD card 4gb or larger is sdhc
    07-02-08 09:38 PM
    i've got a tmobile 8320, and i'd like to get a media card. i have no clue what i'm doing.

Don't worry... we will gladly help

first of all, is an 8gb card compatible with the 8320? Tecnically, no. Theoretically, yes.
    Meaning : The OS loaded on your phone OS 4.2.2.180 does not support anything past 4Gb. This does not mean you cannot use an 8gig, but it will not recognize the full storage capacity. Once TMo comes out with an official OS 4.5 version... you will be able to use the 8gig to its full capacity!

secondly, it has to be a microsd card, correct?

Yes. microSD or microSDHC. I recommend sticking with a name brand, such as SanDisk for reliability purposes (SDHC is just HighCapacity... for 4Gb cards and above!)

thirdly, whats the difference between a sd card and a sdhc card? and what would be best for the curve?

(SDHC is just HighCapacity... for 4Gb cards and above!) Eiher one will work. If you get a 4gig or above it will be SDHC!

i'm looking mainly for something like video & mp3 storage, but mainly what would be the most compatible for the 8320?
    I recommend looking on Amazon. You can usually get a SanDisk (or something similar) :

2Gb : around 10 bucks
    4Gb : around 20 bucks
    8Gb : around 40 bucks

Hope that helps!

*EDIT* : Added link... http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/micr...c-cards-46673/ And be sure to search CB, because there is always useful info on topics
    07-02-08 09:42 PM
    from WIKI site:

Secure Digital (SD) is a flash (non-volatile) memory card format developed by Matsu****a, SanDisk, and Toshiba for use in portable devices. Today it is widely used in digital cameras, handheld computers, PDAs, mobile phones, GPS receivers, and video game consoles. Standard SD card capacities range from 8 MB to 4 GB and for high capacity SDHC cards 8 MB to 32 GB as of 2008.

The format has proven to be very popular. However, a change in the format, while allowing capacities greater than 4 GB (SDHC), has created compatibility issues with older devices which cannot read the new format. Since SDHC format cards have the same physical shape and form factor as the older format, this has caused considerable confusion for consumers.[1][2] SDHC cards require an SDHC capable device firmware, generally not found with older devices.

......with this being said, I am using Sandisk 8 Gig microSD showing total space of 7.5 gig on OS 4.2.2.180.

Good luck,
    Rob
    07-02-08 09:45 PM
    Any SD card 4gb or larger is sdhc
    Generally speaking that is true, although the "official" size is over 2GB. There exists the ability to create 4 GB SD cards. The file system is also changed to FAT32 and memory addressing is changed from sector to byte addressing.

For all the fun facts you can go to the SD Card Association website and read up on SDHC.
    07-02-08 09:48 PM
    ......with this being said, I am using Sandisk 8 Gig microSD showing total space of 7.5 gig on OS 4.2.2.180.

Good luck,
    Rob
    hmmm.... that is very interesting!! I didn't think 4.2.2.180 recognized all that space... and I am sure many many others are not aware of this as well.

I never tried my 8Gb with OS 4.2... so I didn't know. I was under the impression that some other flavor of 4.2 was capable of 8Gb recognition, but I clearly remember it was not TMo's flavor (.180)!!

Wow, you learn something new every day!
    07-02-08 09:48 PM
    Wow that was thorough. I had the 8320 and used the 4G bcuz that is the largest it would recognize. I now have the 8330 so I got the 8G when I got the phone which has the 4.3 OS. Never filled up the 4G but I am going to try to put some movies on it to entertain my grandson once in awhile. Bigger is better I think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 09:58 PM
    <<bmcclure937>>.......attached is screen shot of the media card space and the about screen. ( not sure how to post pics in forum thread )

Phone does not format 8 gigs as I found out the hard way hehe only 4 gigs. I have about 10 albums MP3 and two full length movies I have converted to play on the phone so far from DVD's.

Rob
    07-03-08 10:39 AM
    I bought a Micro SDHC 8gb card, but my Blackberry curve 8310 running OS 4.5 does not recognize it. I've tried multiple ways...

When I go into the Media Card settings there is a message "no media card inserted"... no format options, etc.

Any ideas?
    03-05-09 09:06 AM
    micro sd card you can find 4 a good price
    03-05-09 10:44 AM
    I got my sandisk 4gig sdhc for 9 bucks off of ebay, also bought one for my girlfriend.
    03-05-09 12:38 PM
    8 gig Sandisks are 19.99 at Radio Shack! Not the website, but walk in. Made my day
    03-05-09 04:52 PM
    Got my 8 gig SDHC @ Radio Shack for $20. My BB with 4.5 on VZW recognized it and formated it with no problems. Also got 2 gig SD for kids phone @ Best Buy for $8

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 05:29 PM
    SDHC= Secure Digital High Capacity
    SD = Secure Digital
    03-05-09 05:37 PM
    I purchased a 2G Kingston w/converter SD card from Newegg last week for $5.99 shipped.
    03-05-09 10:45 PM
    8gb should be more than enough
    03-06-09 03:31 AM
    unless u have tons of music and videos and pictures
    03-06-09 03:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD