Most of the time when I'm using data on my phone I am somewhere where wifi is available. If I turn my wifi on and leave my phone on so I don't miss calls and use the internet, is the data I use going through wifi or against the 200mb att limit? Thank You.
    06-09-10 06:35 AM
    Most of the time when I'm using data on my phone I am somewhere where wifi is available. If I turn my wifi on and leave my phone on so I don't miss calls and use the internet, is the data I use going through wifi or against the 200mb att limit? Thank You.
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think it depends what you set your browser to. (Options -> Advanced Options -> Browser) if it's set to Hotspot Browser I think it means you're using WiFi
    06-09-10 07:14 AM
    Thanks. I have the default browser "options>general options" set to hotspot browser instead of internet browser now. I unpluged my wireless router to see if the browser would say "could not connect" or something to try and see if it was running off the wifi and the internet pulled up anyway. Does it change to using the 3g if it can't find wifi?
    06-09-10 04:30 PM
    yeah it does
    06-09-10 04:44 PM
    Anytime you have a live WiFi connection, data is being used through it and not celluar data.
    06-09-10 05:16 PM
    Even if you leave it on "internet browser" if you have WiFi on and the icon is white (not gray) all the data will go via WiFi and not the cellular, so no worries on usage.
    06-09-10 05:25 PM
    Whoever said that it DOES count is totally wrong. It even says on ATT's site that Wi-Fi usage is not counted.

The new data plans INCLUDE unlimited wi-fi access...even to ATT's wireless routers at places like Starbucks. They want to use Wi-Fi all you want and do the heavy stuff there...it takes the load off their network. So no, wi-fi is not counted.
    06-09-10 10:07 PM
    Anytime you have a live WiFi connection, data is being used through it and not celluar data.
    Truth Be Told!
    06-11-10 07:19 AM
    That was the whole point to the data plan makeover - ease the usage of cellular service and encourage the use of Wi-Fi to result in less congestion and traffic over AT&T's network.
    06-11-10 09:15 AM
    That was the whole point to the data plan makeover - ease the usage of cellular service and encourage the use of Wi-Fi to result in less congestion and traffic over AT&T's network.
    ...while increasing profit
    06-11-10 12:30 PM
    Even if you leave it on "internet browser" if you have WiFi on and the icon is white (not gray) all the data will go via WiFi and not the cellular, so no worries on usage.
    Sorry for the bump but, I have enabled the wifi on the phone and opened the browser and my wifi icon stays grey. I have the browser set to the "HOTSPOT" setting. I don't have any sort of data plan on my account at the moment. I do have the pay per use that att offered before they switched to their new data plans though. I did notice that after I joined my wireless network at home the text with the AT&T-*** is at the top now. I just wanna be sure that I'm not going to use any of their data and solely use the wifi at my house.
    07-12-10 07:49 PM
    If you don't have a data plan with AT&T you can't use any of the BIS services, yet you can browse using the browser when set as "Hotspot"
    07-13-10 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD