hey guys i had vz navigator 5 on my unlocked storm 2 and i upgraded to vz navigator 6 and it wont work i have to sign up for a monthly fee and when i try to it wont work so now vz navigator is completely useless.

i was wondering if anyone knows how i can downgrade back to VZ Navigator 5 or how to make it work on a storm 2 unlocked for t-mobile?

btw if anyone has the install file for VZ Navigator 5 please send it to me or if you know where i can download it from please let me know

thanks
    p.s. all help is appreciated
    06-09-10 12:19 AM
    I'm in the same boat .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-10 01:52 AM
    It just downloaded mine and so far so good...it seems to work OK; although I am still at work and haven't "navigated" anywhere, but all other functions seem to work.
    06-09-10 11:11 AM
    It just downloaded mine and so far so good...it seems to work OK; although I am still at work and haven't "navigated" anywhere, but all other functions seem to work.
    The difference is you are on Verizon and I would expect VZ Navigator to work on VZ.

They are on T-Mobile and I would expect that VERIZON NAVIGATOR would NOT WORK on T-MOBILE. Call them to see if they have a TMOBILE NAVIGATOR!

This is common sense stuff OP.
    06-09-10 11:17 AM
    The difference is you are on Verizon and I would expect VZ Navigator to work on VZ.

They are on T-Mobile and I would expect that VERIZON NAVIGATOR would NOT WORK on T-MOBILE. Call them to see if they have a TMOBILE NAVIGATOR!

This is common sense stuff OP.
    Common sense, yes, BUT they have unlocked phones and VZ Navigator 5 (which just came out a couple months ago) DID WORK on their phones/network. Sorry for letting them know mine worked OK...
    06-09-10 11:20 AM
    Common sense, yes, BUT they have unlocked phones and VZ Navigator 5 (which just came out a couple months ago) DID WORK on their phones/network. Sorry for letting them know mine worked OK...
    A VZ phone unlocked is availble to be used on any network. VZ Navigator is a proprietary VZ app that relys on the VZ network. I wasn't giving you chit, just mentioning that yours works because you are on the VZ network.

Pointing out to the OP the obvious. I doubt that VZ 5 was fully functional. It may have worked "sorta" but the app uses VZ network for nav not just the GPS. That's why the monthly fee for it. Otherwise anyone on any network could just download/copy the app to their BB's and have a free Nav application.

VZ ain't letting that happen, guaranteed.
    06-09-10 11:29 AM
    anything new and exciting about version 6? I last used VZNav a couple months ago.
    06-09-10 11:35 AM
    Go here and select the ALX download link on the page.

How to Get VZ Navigator� on Your BlackBerry�
    06-09-10 11:57 AM
    anything new and exciting about version 6? I last used VZNav a couple months ago.
    Other than adding BING to the first page, I haven't noticed anything.
    06-09-10 12:02 PM
    Other than adding BING to the first page, I haven't noticed anything.
    ah. thx.

---
    06-09-10 12:31 PM
    yea i got the alx files i'll go back to vz navigator 5 which worked perefectly
    06-09-10 06:08 PM
    I'll bet VZNAV 6 was locked down to prevent this type of misuse.
    06-09-10 07:40 PM
    Isn't VZ Navigator included with the Verizon OS packages? I believe version 4.2 was included with .607.

Is there any way to extract the install files out of there?
    06-09-10 09:53 PM
    I have a 9530 on Verizon and am on BES. All previous versions of VZ Navigator worked fine. However, when I upgraded to 6 yesterday, I got stuck on the permissions and could not launch the program. Thanks for posting the link to get back 5.1 on my storm.
    06-10-10 01:16 PM
    I have a 9530 on Verizon and am on BES. All previous versions of VZ Navigator worked fine. However, when I upgraded to 6 yesterday, I got stuck on the permissions and could not launch the program. Thanks for posting the link to get back 5.1 on my storm.
    how about calling Verizon to report the problem so something can be done about it.
    06-10-10 09:51 PM
    The only changes between 5 and 6 are

1. the searches are processed through bing

2. it has speech recognition to allow vocal requests for location searches instead of typing it in.

3. They have moved the sub menu for the find menu and tidied it up so that 'address' is now at the top instead of near the bottom of the menu.

4. It has an option to bring up the map with your location instead of the carousel of information when it first starts up.

5. The company credit as author is no longer NIM it is now credited to Telecommunication Systems Inc.

6. It now allows you to switch from using Feet and Miles to Meters and Kilometers and Switching from using Fahrenheit to Celsius.

From a personal point of view it connects to GPS faster than it's previous version, I haven't tried the speech recognition but the Bing software never gave me good results and I don't intend trying to get a nagivation software to work for me vocally when I can type in the information in less time than it takes to say the address a dozen times or more before it understands.
    06-10-10 11:11 PM
    For those that are not on the verizon network and still want to use VZNavigator you can probably get a subscription through TSI for Gokivo which is the generic version of Navigator.

Gokivo - I Want It

They don't have a version for the Storm on there but might be worth taking a look.
    06-10-10 11:38 PM
    I had the OP's problem with version 6 on my Verizon Storm 1 - running on Verizon's network. I called support and they told me to go to Options, Applications, click on VZNavigator, select Edit Permissions, and change all of the choices to "Allow". Then push the blackberry button, select "Save". Voila, it now works.

Thanks Joey at Verizon!

I don't know whether this will work outside the Verizon network, but it's probably worth a try.
    06-12-10 09:15 PM
    I had the OP's problem with version 6 on my Verizon Storm 1 - running on Verizon's network. I called support and they told me to go to Options, Applications, click on VZNavigator, select Edit Permissions, and change all of the choices to "Allow". Then push the blackberry button, select "Save". Voila, it now works.

Thanks Joey at Verizon!

I don't know whether this will work outside the Verizon network, but it's probably worth a try.
    cool. now I won't have to worry about version 6 when I go on vacation later this summer. thx.
    06-13-10 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD