I'm finally going to ditch my blackberry. The lack of a good web browser, lack of decent apps, a laggy OS, and the fact that Google/Youtube give the shaft to all BB owners on the video quality have all influenced my decision to get an Android phone atm---most likely the Incredible.

It's been a long ride (2 pearls, 2 Curves, and a Storm 1), but RIM is really falling behind in the smartphone department. They need to realize that in 2010, people do more than e-mails, MMS, text, IM, and play BrickBreaker.

06-08-10 05:48 AM
    The Incredible appears to be a really nice phone. You'll have to let us know how you like it.

06-08-10 06:10 AM
    It's hard because I suspect we all want to think our BBs are great, but the simple reality is that the company has fallen behind. For all but the simplest of tasks, the browsers are useless, and compared to what other phones have to offer, apps are a joke.

People get panned as trolls for writing that, but deep down, we know that's the painful truth.

For the moment, BB is still a very high-selling company, mostly because of brand loyalty. But if it doesn't get its act together right quick, its sales are going to drop like a stone.
    06-08-10 06:16 AM
    I'm finally going to ditch my blackberry. The lack of a good web browser, lack of decent apps, a laggy OS, and the fact that Google/Youtube give the shaft to all BB owners on the video quality have all influenced my decision to get an Android phone atm---most likely the Incredible.

It's been a long ride (2 pearls, 2 Curves, and a Storm 1), but RIM is really falling behind in the smartphone department. They need to realize that in 2010, people do more than e-mails, MMS, text, IM, and play BrickBreaker.

I'm not calling you a troll, I bailed in February for my own reasons, but you should know that you can watch high quality YouTube videos from the mobile website.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 09:26 AM
    I can't believe RIM is not trying to compete with the android platform. I had the incredible but sent it back due to call quality and I am waiting for VERIZON to send me a new one. I have been looking around for a new device and by far the incredible has been the best! I am typing this on my pearl flip which is a great phone but too slow and small. I looked at the storm 2 but it still has too many issues with freezing up and reboots. I would rather stay with RIM but what is taking so long? I might wait for the new flip only issue I only like a SureType keyboard.

06-08-10 09:41 AM
    I'd say with blackberry 5.0 that's exactly what they're trying to do. They're adding Widgets and a new browser among other things. Rim has always been a tricky position when it comes to the consumer market. Since their devices are aimed at both the consumer and business environments, they have to find a nice balance between both worlds. I, for one, an interested to see what they come up with.

06-08-10 07:31 PM
    I'm not calling you a troll, I bailed in February for my own reasons, but you should know that you can watch high quality YouTube videos from the mobile website.

Those are NOT High Quality....Youtube wants to call their little update HQ, but we know it's bs. It's still 3gp and not mp4, and compared to the iPhone, Palm Pre/Pixi, and Android phones, it's quality is shameful....they simply block BBs and other phones from accessing the mp4 video.
    06-09-10 02:40 AM
    iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2

Engadget just did a comparison of what they call the "smartphone elite" and selected the top phone from each of the major platforms. At least all of the major players except for RIM. None of RIM's phones made the list, in fact they did acknowledged RIM, stating "and sorry, RIM, you don't get to play until you bring some fresh, media-heavy hardware to the table. Nothing personal!"

The S1 introduced many consumers to Blackberry for the first time... and that by allowing such a lemon to be their "flagship" RIM made a possibly fatal marketing decision. Couple that with their falling behind in hardware (9650, 9670, 9700 and the 9300 - are all new are soon to be new devices that have hardware specifications that don't even match what competitors had a year ago) and software design (OS6 is an improvement, but again it only brings RIM on near with what others have been doing for a year now - still not even close to webOS or iOS3). Playing "catch-up" is not what you expect from a leader...
    06-09-10 09:56 AM
    iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2

Engadget just did a comparison of what they call the "smartphone elite" and selected the top phone from each of the major platforms. At least all of the major players except for RIM. None of RIM's phones made the list, in fact they did acknowledged RIM, stating "and sorry, RIM, you don't get to play until you bring some fresh, media-heavy hardware to the table. Nothing personal!"

The S1 introduced many consumers to Blackberry for the first time... and that by allowing such a lemon to be their "flagship" RIM made a possibly fatal marketing decision. Couple that with their falling behind in hardware (9650, 9670, 9700 and the 9300 - are all new are soon to be new devices that have hardware specifications that don't even match what competitors had a year ago) and software design (OS6 is an improvement, but again it only brings RIM on near with what others have been doing for a year now - still not even close to webOS or iOS3). Playing "catch-up" is not what you expect from a leader...
    You certainly have a point that the storm was RIMs first high profile device, but they really do design blackberry phones first and media phones second. It's not really fair to say that they are 'behind' because they can't play HD video; this simply isnt the purpose of a blackberry. Make if it what you will, but there is a clear divide in the smartphone industry right now between 'get it done' communication phones like blackberries, and 'kitchen sink' phones like droids and iphones. It's simple; pick which one meets your needs. Measuring all "smartphones" solely against the multimedia yardstick was pretty ignorant of engadget to do, in my opinion. If we follow their cue, next year we will all be walking around with a 5" Dell Streak in our pockets, poking us in the junk, and starting on fire when the battery overheats (it's a dell after all) while we try to download 3 HD videos at once while watching another and talking on the phone in videophone mode (with picture-in-picture-in-picture of course). Not my idea of fun.
    Last edited by jeffmeden; 06-09-10 at 12:09 PM.
    06-09-10 12:05 PM
    You certainly have a point that the storm was RIMs first high profile device, but they really do design blackberry phones first and media phones second. It's not really fair to say that they are 'behind' because they can't play HD video; this simply isnt the purpose of a blackberry. Make if it what you will, but there is a clear divide in the smartphone industry right now between 'get it done' communication phones like blackberries, and 'kitchen sink' phones like droids and iphones. It's simple; pick which one meets your needs. Measuring all "smartphones" solely against the multimedia yardstick was pretty ignorant of engadget to do, in my opinion. If we follow their cue, next year we will all be walking around with a 5" Dell Streak in our pockets, poking us in the junk, and starting on fire when the battery overheats (it's a dell after all) while we try to download 3 HD videos at once while watching another and talking on the phone in videophone mode (with picture-in-picture-in-picture of course). Not my idea of fun.
    And by the way, how is the storm 2 not on the level of the Pre Plus? CPU, memory, screen, etc are all a match... yet they are OK calling the pre plus 'elite' and then bashing RIM for having basically the same features in the Storm 2 and the other new phones. I am pretty well convinced Engadget just swings on Apples nuts too much to pay attention to RIM.
    06-09-10 12:14 PM
    The storm stinks and anyone that thinks it belongs in the same convo as those other phones are kidding themselves. They didn't say you need to have the same hardware specs, they said "RIM, you don't get to play until you bring some fresh, media-heavy hardware to the table". I would think the key word being fresh. And let's face, there's nothing fresh about BB OS right now. We'll see when 6.0 hits. But now, um no.
    06-09-10 12:40 PM
    The storm stinks and anyone that thinks it belongs in the same convo as those other phones are kidding themselves. They didn't say you need to have the same hardware specs, they said "RIM, you don't get to play until you bring some fresh, media-heavy hardware to the table". I would think the key word being fresh. And let's face, there's nothing fresh about BB OS right now. We'll see when 6.0 hits. But now, um no.
    Wow good job getting a "storm sucks" post in without actually saying anything relevant at all. OS 5 isn't new; so? There is no question that the storm doesn't have a high res screen or fast cpu (compared to the rest of the list except the pre) but what does that mean exactly? That you can't stream youtube in hd? Oh noes. Wake me up when Hulu (something worth watching) is available on a suite of phones (without cracks, mods, jailbreaks, etc) and then we can talk.
    06-09-10 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD