Hi,
    i have a Tour 9630 from Sprint Unlocked with OS 5.0.0.624. on a GSM carrier. (Telcel Mexico)

The thing is that im getting constantly signal issues, since my signal drops and goes to SOS on network coverage for about 5 minutes. ill be honest this happens when im on my home or under roof.

But how come my old 8310 has best signal coverage than the 9630?

its this normal or its the phone, os, antenna, etc?

tnx,
    jn
    06-07-10 07:59 PM
    Happens on my phone all the time.
    06-07-10 08:21 PM
    does anyone knows, if there's a way to expand signal capabilities on the Tour?
    06-08-10 08:45 AM
    643 gets slightly better signal (proven with my friend's Tour on 591 right next to me).
    06-08-10 11:45 AM
    Hi,

Im new here. I have a tour 9630 from sprint and i just changed the housing to a white one i bought off ebay. my signal strength is horrible now, i dont know what the problem is. i have transfered everything from the old housing except for 2 things:

1. a thin pcb next to the battery
    2. the charging dock dongles

should i transfer them? are they causing the problem?

Please help
    06-08-10 03:07 PM
    I started seeing signal problems about 3 weeks ago. I used to sit in my office and see it pegged at -80 all day. Now it bounces all over the place and is causing significant battery drain.

I've tried multile OSes, bought new batteries and even had my phone replaced. Seems to me that something changed on Verizon's end, but I have not been able to confirm.
    06-08-10 03:20 PM
    I started seeing signal problems about 3 weeks ago. I used to sit in my office and see it pegged at -80 all day. Now it bounces all over the place and is causing significant battery drain.

I've tried multile OSes, bought new batteries and even had my phone replaced. Seems to me that something changed on Verizon's end, but I have not been able to confirm.
    I'm with you Foppa, same here. I came from Alltel last year to VZW and had poor signal for the first few days until VZW pushed a hybrid PRL (65072) to my phone which completely fixed my signal. Now over the last 3 or 4 weeks I've noticed a strange constant signal flucuation and a persistent switch between 3G and 1X in some places where I did not have the problem before. I have also noticed a greater battery drain that I think has something to do with the signal flux. I did the ol *228 option 2 which updated my PRL to 65132 but it did not fix the problem. I use meterberry to monitor battery and signal and I can tell in the logs that my signal bounces between -80 and the -100s without changing location so I don't know what the deal is of late.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 05:08 PM
    Now over the last 3 or 4 weeks I've noticed a strange constant signal flucuation and a persistent switch between 3G and 1X in some places where I did not have the problem before. I have also noticed a greater battery drain that I think has something to do with the signal flux. I use meterberry to monitor battery and signal and I can tell in the logs that my signal bounces between -80 and the -100s without changing location so I don't know what the deal is of late.
    Sounds exactly like my situation. Let's hope it's temporary and VZW fixes whatever they broke a few weeks back.
    06-08-10 05:20 PM
    Tech support anyone?
    06-08-10 10:52 PM
    i Had the same thing happen to my phone after loading mutliple OS to fix the problem i took it to the store to have a replacement ordered. after it came in with 4.7 on it i loaded the .484 software and havent looked back. no issues (browser click, signal issues, drain) try switching software up or get a new device.
    06-09-10 09:07 AM

i did notice that lately too...my battery is having a huge drain during the day and my signal has been all over the place also. i also do hope verizon fixes this coverage issue because it's been happening to me for a couple of weeks now
    06-09-10 09:28 AM
    Seems some new bold users are having the same problem......... tour2/bold.....
    06-09-10 10:07 AM
    Last night I left my fully-chared phone sitting on my desk powered on. No activity, no weatherberry updates, nothing. Just pure stand-by. The battery died in 5 hours. Here are the logs:

Signal strength:

Battery:

I'm gonna try removing the removing the SIM card and see if that makes a difference. Although, in the first few minutes, the signal seems to be bouncing just as much as before.

Sigh
    Last edited by Foppa_21; 06-09-10 at 12:51 PM.
    06-09-10 12:29 PM
    Which OS are you guys on? I'm on 643 and an Alltel convert and so far I'm not having many problems.
    06-09-10 02:52 PM
    Which OS are you guys on? I'm on 643 and an Alltel convert and so far I'm not having many problems.
    I was on 643 when the problem hit me 3+ weeks ago. Since then I got a new phone and tried it with 643, a 484-based hybrid with 419 radio, and a new 662-based hybrid. Same issue across the board.

I really think it's a cell tower or VZW thing.
    06-09-10 03:34 PM
    it's the device, not verizon or the tower.

I've had a tour on sprint since it's release with every imaginable os 4.7+ official and hybrid, currently a 662 based 732/748 hybrid.

Signal fluxation and POOR reception in general are the name of the game with the tour, anywhere you go with anyone around you on the same network with a different device WILL have better reception and less fluxuation, it's nature of the beast with this thing. I've also swapped mine a few times with new units of different production dates, makes no difference... it's a design flaw and a big one.
    06-09-10 03:46 PM
    Sounds like the tour 2/bold has inherited this at least for some.
    06-09-10 04:03 PM
    These Whole Signal Issues, It Must Be Something On Verizons End. I Would Recommend Updating Your Roaming List (*228 Press 2) And Once It's Successfully Updated, Perform A Battery Pull. Leave The Battery Out For About 2 Minutes And Insert The Battery Back In.

I Hope This Somewhat Fixes Your Problem.
    06-09-10 04:15 PM
    It has been dropping EVDO today. I stand corrected.
    06-09-10 04:53 PM
    it's the device, not verizon or the tower.
    The fact that my signal strength historically pegged -80 all day every day when on my desk, and then out of the blue one day started bouncing uncontrollably, and the behavior continued on a new device, makes me this it's not the phone. It's certainly possible, but a network change or a cell tower went offline seems more likely than the phone suddenly changing it's behavior and the replacement matching it. But, alas, who knows...
    06-09-10 05:26 PM
    I was on 643 when the problem hit me 3+ weeks ago. Since then I got a new phone and tried it with 643, a 484-based hybrid with 419 radio, and a new 662-based hybrid. Same issue across the board.

I really think it's a cell tower or VZW thing.
    I had a similar issue recently. First call to CS resulted in the cretin tech telling me my device was working because I could make calls with the 1x signal. Next call got me through to a bright tech who knew the ropes and pushed me a different PRL. That didn't work so he generated a work order to have the tower checked. Turned out there WAS a tower issue. It took about a week to get it fixed but all is well again.

06-09-10 06:52 PM
    Well, I can be added to the growing list of VZW customers having issues. I have been bouncing from 1XEV to 1X all day, in a location where this is not a historical issue. Just the last few days. I did try *228/2 to update my PRL, but that has not helped.

What'd you do Big Red?
    06-09-10 07:24 PM
    My personal thoughts on this is I think the world phones don't work well with the cdma network. There are people who have great reception in some places and there are places where it don't work so good. When I'm home I hold my tour in one hand and my curve 8530 in my other hand and my curve holds a steady strong signal while my tour bounce all around with 1X X signal..... Most of the time I lose my signal is when I try to surf the net that's why I think the bold 9650 has wifi. I had my own lil phone dog fight in sprint the other day and while I was there I had full signal and I had the 9650 in my other hand. On my tour I'm running driphter's full .743 java and I was loading pages faster then the bold 9650 with the wifi on. @ times they loaded pages the same. I think the problem might be with the bold 9650 also. The only thing I can say is I hope one day the can get this right cause it can suck. My boy also has this problem with his 9550 storm 2 so its not the carrier its the phone........

06-09-10 07:37 PM
    It can't be a device issue because up until 3 weeks ago, my connection was fine. Now over the past 3 weeks (sounds like a lot of us here), my signal is so pathetic, even in areas that I'd normally get 4-5 bars. When I go to the browser, it seems to just sit there "Requesting...." until I lose patience, start shaking the phone, pull battery, and do it all over again. It's so slow, it's even freezing up the browser. On top of which, the signal issue is draining the battery like MAD and I keep getting the hour-glass figure and the phone stalling.

It may sound like it's the phone, but it doesn't make sense to point the finger at the device, though I'm not sure what the common issue here points to when everyone has been experiencing problems in the past 3 weeks (most of us) and yet, not all of us are on the same network. Hmmm. I've Updated Profile, Updated Preferred List, re-registered my Blackberry, and well...when all else fails, I end up shaking the phone. That sometimes helps, strangely enough, but only very temporarily. Most of the time I'm getting the X instead of 1XEV or 1xev. I just get the X - no signal at all, and I'm right in the heart of the cell towers.

I'm not on Verizon, like most in this thread - I have Sprint. Only thing I can think of is...that there's a conspiracy and they're trying to make us upgrade our Tour to Tour2/Bold and pay the extra buckaroos.

If anyone has ANY experience that has helped them fix this issue, POST HERE.

Or...I might have to move to an Android (as I hear web surfing is fast on it) because this is making me crazy and next...my phone will be thrown against a wall.
    06-09-10 07:37 PM
    My tour just started doing it as well. It was fine until a new prl pushed to the phone about a week ago.
    06-09-10 08:37 PM
101 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD