So I reinstalled QP on my S2 since I have an otterbox and may need it etc.. But why does steel thorn need my location info? This is just crap. It won't even run without allowing it, heck i can't even get rid of the wizard now? Crap indeed, does anyone else see any similarities between this and computing during the early 90's with these apps, no privacy at all.

Does anyone know of any other app that will reset the storm that does not violate my privacy? I would but one if it actually worked! (and wasn't nosey)
    06-07-10 10:36 AM
    Then tell em your in Alaska or some obscure place. Why cry about it?
    06-07-10 11:48 AM
    Then tell em your in Alaska or some obscure place. Why cry about it?
    Ok...tell us how?
    It accesses location data, how does one spoof that for just one app?
    06-07-10 01:08 PM
    That bothers me with most apps. The permissions screen comes up when you install the app, it tells you it needs access to all kinds of things, but they never tell you why the apps needs those permissions.

Maybe you could try letting it see your location to get through the wizard, then after its installed go back in and edit the app permissions to disable location access
    06-07-10 03:23 PM
    It is no different than when shopping and the sales clerk needing your zip code or area code. It is probably for demographics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-10 03:29 PM
    It is no different than when shopping and the sales clerk needing your zip code or area code. It is probably for demographics.

It is very much different....I can choose to tell the sales clerk no and I can still make the purchase, even for ammo.

I think some people need to wake up and smell the privacy violations.
    06-07-10 03:51 PM
    Quicklaunch has a reboot option in it.

I usually just pull battery though when I wanna reset. Just faster

06-07-10 09:00 PM
    Quicklaunch has a reboot option in it.

I usually just pull battery though when I wanna reset. Just faster

Can you check the permissions and see what it needs? I DONT WANT TO PULL MY BATTERY. I have an otterbox and really dont want to take it apart everytime.
    06-08-10 09:28 AM
    Can you check the permissions and see what it needs? I DONT WANT TO PULL MY BATTERY. I have an otterbox and really dont want to take it apart everytime.
    Just get quicklaunch or meterberry. Both are useful and you can set meterberry to reset at a specific time each day. They dont care where you live. If you can shell out for Otterbox then the 2.99 or so is worth it not to have to take the case off....I use an Otterbox on the weekends so I know.
    06-08-10 10:19 AM
    If you are this worried about your privacy then you better turn off the GPS on your phone. With the right tools in the wrong hands you can be tracked.
    06-08-10 11:03 AM
    If you are this worried about your privacy then you better turn off the GPS on your phone. With the right tools in the wrong hands you can be tracked.
    Don't be an ***. This is serious but it seems that some fanboys cannot grasp it. I am perfectly aware of what the gps is capable of, but why Is it that so many of you seem to think that it's ok for apps to be allowed access to that data. Would you permit it on your laptop? I doubt it. Many of you run windows machines and run spyware tools and anti virus software yet willingly install malicious software on your phone?

Some of you would demand that your ISP be given a warrant for someone to gain access to this data, yet you install it on your phone without a second thought.
    06-08-10 05:13 PM
    I think you should ask other people who use quick pull if they have a problem. I don't think so or we would know. We have all given you suggestions to help. Other than that if it is a real issue just take off the case and pull the battery

06-08-10 09:04 PM
    You're really concerned about where your phone is located? Kind of hard to avoid all these electronic stuff and privacy. Look at Google. Gathers everyone's data. I can understand burning all your paper mails.
    I got rid of that QP app. Just another waste of space. I use the BP. It never asked for my location or anything like that.

..but hey, it's all you. GL, hope you find the answer.
    06-09-10 02:34 AM
    I'm not trying to be an *** but I think your stressing over this more than you need to. There are lots of apps that use your location. I know it doesn't make sense that an app like QP would need location information but it's an app that's been around a long time and trusted by thousands of BB users.

Did you try as suggested before about installing the app and then going into the permissions adn turning off location?
    06-09-10 07:46 AM
    I ran into this tonight and wondered the same thing. Did a quick search and landed in this thread. Odd that a simple program to reboot the phone would need to know where it is located to do that. I denied it the permission..
    08-11-10 12:05 AM
    I wouldn't be worried unless you're a fugitive on the run.
    08-11-10 02:38 PM
    I have to agree that many have become complacent about the privacy issuses with todays smart phones. The Wall Street Journal had a good article today about this:

December 18, 2010

Your Apps Are Watching You

The results of an investigation of smartphones are disturbing.

By Scott Thurm and Yukari Iwatani Kane

Few devices know more personal details about people than the smartphones in their pockets: phone numbers, current location, often the owner's real name—even a unique ID number that can never be changed or turned off.

These phones don't keep secrets. They are sharing this personal data widely and regularly, a Wall Street Journal investigation has found.

An examination of 101 popular smartphone "apps"—games and other software applications for iPhone and Android phones—showed that 56 transmitted the phone's unique device ID to other companies without users' awareness or consent. Forty-seven apps transmitted the phone's location in some way. Five sent age, gender and other personal details to outsiders.

The findings reveal the intrusive effort by online-tracking companies to gather personal data about people in order to flesh out detailed dossiers on them.

Among the apps tested, the iPhone apps transmitted more data than the apps on phones using Google Inc.'s Android operating system. Because of the test's size, it's not known if the pattern holds among the hundreds of thousands of apps available.

Apps sharing the most information included TextPlus 4, a popular iPhone app for text messaging. It sent the phone's unique ID number to eight ad companies and the phone's zip code, along with the user's age and gender, to two of them.

Both the Android and iPhone versions of Pandora, a popular music app, sent age, gender, location and phone identifiers to various ad networks. iPhone and Android versions of a game called Paper Toss—players try to throw paper wads into a trash can—each sent the phone's ID number to at least five ad companies. Grindr, an iPhone app for meeting gay men, sent gender, location and phone ID to three ad companies.

"In the world of mobile, there is no anonymity," says Michael Becker of the Mobile Marketing Association, an industry trade group. A cellphone is "always with us. It's always on."

I just uninstalled quick pull... For reboot I use Alt, shift, Del No snooping and it does not use any phone resources
    Last edited by BB 4 me; 12-19-10 at 12:10 AM.
    12-18-10 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD