Every BlackBerry user knows the infamous word "Battery Pull".

With the new 9650 Bold, are battery pulls still common on this device?

Do things freeze and lock up like your previous BlackBerry?
    06-05-10 10:22 AM
    I have yet to do a Battery pull, but yet again, I hardly ever needed to do a battery pull with my last Tout I had
    06-05-10 10:52 AM
    Use Left ALT, Right Shift and the Delete key

no more opening door and physically removing the battery.

i haven't had to do it much since i got my phone on May 23rd. I think I've "pulled the batt" 3 times in the 2 weeks.
    06-06-10 09:43 AM
    Really the hardware is nearyl identical to the tour minus the added memory. For me the memory has not made much of a difference when it comes to batter pulling.

I have maybe pulled mine twice in 2 weeks.
    06-06-10 09:46 AM
    I haven't had to do a battery pull yet! Knock on wood...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 10:02 AM
    I have not done any myself either. I'm guessing just because the way a blackberry works, it is good to reboot it every once in a while and get a fresh start.
    06-06-10 10:28 AM
    Could someone explain what a battery pull basically does? Is it like a soft reset or something more. Def more than a turn off then on again. I've done a couple to try and fix things and was wondering about it. Why is it a dreaded thing to have to do? Other than the pita time involved. I'm assuming it restores some memory and cleans things up a bit. It's been 5 years since my last bb so I'm kinda noob but relearning and loving the inovations since the track wheel days.
    06-06-10 10:46 AM
    ir is indeed a soft reset

06-06-10 10:50 AM
    no it isnt...

a battery pull a hard reset...by definition.. there is a big difference between a hard and soft reset.

regardless.. with a decent os it (a battery pull) should never be needed..

ir is indeed a soft reset

06-06-10 12:24 PM
    When I had my 8810, battery pulls for low memory were a daily event. Now with 9650 (which I bought last week), lots of memory, but last night, internet , e-mail, etc were not working. Did battery pull, restored connection , and e-mail from over night came pouring in. Has anyone had this experience? Hopefully, this will not become a frequent event.
    07-14-10 08:53 AM
    Only when adding or removing software; or if I need to do a battery swap because my battery has been annialated before the end of the day.
    07-14-10 09:04 AM
    Could someone explain what a battery pull basically does? Is it like a soft reset or something more. Def more than a turn off then on again. I've done a couple to try and fix things and was wondering about it. Why is it a dreaded thing to have to do? Other than the pita time involved. I'm assuming it restores some memory and cleans things up a bit. It's been 5 years since my last bb so I'm kinda noob but relearning and loving the inovations since the track wheel days.
    In order for a true reboot to occur on a BlackBerry, the battery must be removed. Since the OS cannot replicate a power loss, it must be removed manually. It's no different than a PC, when your having issues and you restart the PC, it doesn't always fix the issue, but when you shut it down completely, all is well again. When in doubt, power out...
    07-14-10 10:51 AM
    My 9000 needed the occasional battery pull. I looked at the battery on my 9650 and not even sure I can get a fingernail in there to pull it out! But haven't had a need to even virtually pull it yet - which is a very pleasant change from my past Berry experiences. I pulled the battery on my POS Droid Eris daily - not thrilled at first about going back to a crackberry but I will say this for the 9650. Coverage has been rock solid on VZW (my first berry on them, with ATT previously) and this OS (0.732) is super stable apparently. Signal is excellent (much better than wife's 8330 and aforemention POS Droid Eris), call quality excellent, even BT performance via my car (VW GTI) is better with no glitches in operation.
    07-14-10 10:55 AM
    My 9000 needed the occasional battery pull. I looked at the battery on my 9650 and not even sure I can get a fingernail in there to pull it out! But haven't had a need to even virtually pull it yet - which is a very pleasant change from my past Berry experiences. I pulled the battery on my POS Droid Eris daily - not thrilled at first about going back to a crackberry but I will say this for the 9650. Coverage has been rock solid on VZW (my first berry on them, with ATT previously) and this OS (0.732) is super stable apparently. Signal is excellent (much better than wife's 8330 and aforemention POS Droid Eris), call quality excellent, even BT performance via my car (VW GTI) is better with no glitches in operation.
    Process is very simple, remove battery door, hold device in one hand and strike against other hand (cupped) and battery will transfer from device to cupped hand. No need to strike hard.
    07-14-10 11:36 AM
    I've pulled the battery once since I've had my Bold, over a month. It was running a little sluggish one day. Not going to have to do it like the Tour. As for removing the battery I just pulled it out with my finger. Not a big deal.

07-14-10 11:50 AM
    I used the keyboard shortcut both times I rebooted my Bold. I did a battery pull today to reset my SIM card for another post. That's it.....battery pulls are becoming a thing of the past for me.
    07-14-10 11:53 AM
    So is the kb shortcut method any different in any way than an actual batt pull? I've tried each and it seems the end result is the same. KB method obviously easier.
    07-14-10 12:10 PM
    I don't plan on opening the battery cover on my Bold after I reflip the SIM, ever.

KB shortcut ftw
    07-14-10 12:12 PM
    I have done 2 battery pulls in over a month. One due to bad theme and one due everything happening at once - weather update, fb notification, text, email notification and me opening an app. My BB decided she did not like playing that way.

07-14-10 12:14 PM
    With my storm, I had to do a pull sometimes twice a day, with this, I've had it two days and have only rebooted for installing/removing apps. Its wonderful, and I like they key combo too!

07-14-10 12:55 PM
    I've done a couple out of habit but I don't see a huge need of it with this phone
    07-14-10 03:46 PM
    I do a battery pull once a week just for the halibut because I was so used to doing the 3x a day with my curve.
    I like to see if I recover any memory...like I need to worry about THAT anymore lol.
    07-14-10 03:52 PM
    when u turn the device off using the power button, it doesn't really shut it self down, rather it goes a state like hibernate or standby, and comes back without clearing the memory. So if u want to re boot the device, the battery pull comes in to play.
    But u can do it simply by pressing alt + right shift + del
    this works all most all the time.
    07-14-10 04:05 PM
    Never really needed to pull the battery at all on my 8530 or my 9650
    07-14-10 04:46 PM
    I've had my verizon bold for almost a month, and I have yet to have it lock up on me. If yours does, try and return it for a smoother running model.

07-14-10 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD