Hi, first time poster here.

Attempting to access the SIM card (hadn't even set a PIN code), I used up my 3 attempts. Didn't think much of it, so I just holstered my BB (set to lock on holster). As soon as I went to make a call, the 8830 asked me for the PUK code, so I called Sprint and requested the code. After being bounced around for an hour, Sprint's BB Tech Support had me use up the 10 attempts in order to wipe the phone... however, the phone was not wiped, but the SIM card got wiped. Now Sprint is clueless as to what to do.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance!
    07-01-08 08:23 PM
    8830 does not use the SIM in the US. If you need it for International usage, you may have to get it replaced. Never seen a SIM "wiped". Also, wiping the phone does not require you to enter a password 10 times, unless you're a moron (which is apperent for the support staff you talked to). To wipe, go into Options/Security/General, hit Menu Wipe Handheld and follow the screen prompts.

Yank the SIM card or switch your radio to CDMA only. You don't need the SIM unless you're International.
    07-01-08 09:06 PM
    8830 does not use the SIM in the US. If you need it for International usage, you may have to get it replaced. Never seen a SIM "wiped". Also, wiping the phone does not require you to enter a password 10 times, unless you're a moron (which is apperent for the support staff you talked to). To wipe, go into Options/Security/General, hit Menu Wipe Handheld and follow the screen prompts.

Yank the SIM card or switch your radio to CDMA only. You don't need the SIM unless you're International.
    The issue was that the phone 'locked' and wouldn't allow me to do anything. I knew the wiping was not a good idea, but two different techs concurred. (I did ask them if they were sure that it was the right way to clear a lock.) For some wonderful reason, Sprint Tech Support doesn't have access to the PUK codes of their own customers.

What I got after the card got wiped was 'SIM Card Error' on my Home screen, and if I go to 'Options/Adv. Options/SIM Card' it reads "No valid SIM Card".

My issue is that travel takes me to international locations, and I'm in need of the SIM card. I have an email into Sprint Customer Care (who they care for, I don't know) for more information.

Until then, who knows?
    07-01-08 09:14 PM
    That's weird man. When you say the phone was locked? Are you simply talking about the OS keylock which prompts you for a password? If so, the wipe that happened if you entered the password wrong 10 times is just a user data clear on the phone. It touches nothing on the SIM card or otherwise. Also, there's no way you could have locked the unlock feature of the SIM card (MEP menu usage) because Sprint doesn't lock the SIM slot. I'd say just get Sprint to replace the SIM card, but first do a battery pull to see if by chance your BB is just not unstable from the previous wipe.

When the phone finished wiping and it came back up, did it look like it did when it was fresh out of the box? If not, there's no telling what support had you do because the terminology and description of your issue is not entirely clear.
    07-01-08 09:29 PM
    I know! Very weird. The OS locked, but it seems it *wasn't* the OS that was locked. It was supposed to wipe the phone itself (no problem for me, I've got daily backups) but the phone did not wipe at all.

To be clear, I got what seemed to be an OS lock. Sprint had me run through the 10-time-data-clear procedure. The phone did not clear, but the SIM card was wiped clean. Now the phone tells me that there is no valid SIM card in the slot. I'm quite confused, normally tech stuff doesn't do such weird things on me, hehe.

I might do a data wipe on phone itself (the procedure you suggested in your first response).
    Last edited by marlxx; 07-02-08 at 07:13 AM.
    07-02-08 07:09 AM
    Wipe the phone and take the SIM out. Test the phone capabilities after that. If it works, put the SIM back in and see what you get. Could be a complete coincidense that the SIM could have gone bad. Just get it replaced at a local Sprint store, no big deal. They can just program another one for you on the spot and plug it in... very easy to do. SIMs getting wacked out is sometimes common, but with GSM carriers (obviously). Just recently people running a certain BETA version of the 4.5OS on their GSM Curves started to fry SIM cards for no reason.
    07-02-08 09:12 AM
    That's what happening to my phone right now too. Sprint said 8830 is unlock. I just want to try security enable option for SIM card. Because I'm going to take out that SIM card when I'm in Singapore or Asia and I'm going to use the SIM card over there and it's cheaper than to use Sprint Global Raoming. But I don't want somebody get my Sprint SIM card and use it. I'm not sure what is the SIM Card PIN so I called Spritn Customer Service and they said it's on the box. It's mixed characters of numeric and letters. I confirmed with him that PIN look strange but he said it's the PIN number for my SIM card. So I tried it and finally my phone looked.
    When ever I press something, the screen came up with asking PUK code.

Like this " Enter PUK code".

But I can make a call. Press escape or back step key to go back to Home screen. Then just scroll down the track ball, menu box will appear.

It says Handheld is Lock. You can choose Unlock, Place a Call, Emergency Call and Cancel.

But I can't do other than that.

This morning, I spent more than one hours with sprint customer representatives. They transfer me to here and there but nobody can't solve my problem. They said me like marlxx mention. They don't have to access PUK code. And I never create that code too.

I don't know what I have to do.
    Last edited by 8830BBerry; 04-24-09 at 08:17 PM.
    04-24-09 08:15 PM
    I'm curious abot something...Goto settings-advanced settings-sim card
    Once there it should say security disabled. If not, post what you have. Try typing "mepd" (no quotes). that should bring you to you network subsidy lockout screen. Each entry should say disabled. If it does not, post for more help.
    04-25-09 03:28 PM
    Your PUK code means that the sim itself is locked. Not the Phone. Normally if acarrier doesn't have access to the puk than the phone manufacturer does. However you can normally just replace the sim.
    04-26-09 03:56 PM
    Thanks for replies. Sorry for my very late reply due to oversea trip.
    Yes, only my SIM Card was lock and Sprint can't do anything. Finally I have to go down to nearest Sprint Store and they replaced with new SIM card. That's all and the phone went back to normal functioning.

Orias3141>> I did as you said and all entries say disable.

Thanks again.
    05-14-09 04:55 PM
    The PUK comes with the SIM. For instance, I have a SIM card from Orange Dominicana, and on the website it shows me the PUK code. I recall when acquiring the SIM card the representative told me to save that info in case the SIM locks up.
    07-20-09 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD