Interetsing article and Poll over on Android Central...

http://www.androidcentral.com/looks-...vo-and-android

BB has a commadning lead on the users migrating to Android. Being that Sprint has had the 9650 for a few weeks now I still don't see a single poster of it in their window (they still have Palm Pixi Posters up) it may not be that surprising.

RIM has the market share, but they seem to be losing mind share....
    06-03-10 10:53 AM
    It makes a lot of sense. The big Android launches so far have been on Sprint and Verizon, previously BlackBerry bastions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 10:59 AM
    I think it is fair to say a nice portion of the people who are leaving Blackberry for Android are people that probably went into Blackberry with the wrong expectations. Just look at all the posts about needing 1-1.5Ghz processor and all the other media and App complaints. Granted, improvements would be nice and necessary, for the time being, that is not Blackberry. We all know that. They have never "led the way" in that area.
    06-03-10 11:54 AM
    I would hardly expect a poll done at Android Central... whatever that is.... to reach
    the people who are staying with Blackberry.
    06-03-10 12:02 PM
    Eh, polls on blogs aren't relevant. Same person can vote as many times as he/she wants.
    06-03-10 12:16 PM
    I would hardly expect a poll done at Android Central... whatever that is.... to reach
    Android Central is a sister site to Crackberry if I'm not mistaken.

And the intent of the poll wasn't to reach those who are sticking with their devices, but to sample how many have left.

However that being said... the poll only shows sample numbers of people who've recently switched and from where, but what it lacks is a comparison to the other platforms' total userbase so as to see what percentage of customers each platform is losing. It's not surprising that BlackBerry has the highest number in the poll, but then too BlackBerry's userbase is substantially larger too.
    06-03-10 12:22 PM
    What?

You do realize the poll was asking current Android users what platform their last phone was...what's that have to do with people who are staying with Blackberry?

Oh that's right, nothing.

You COULD however hypothesize since Android Central is a sister site to this one (I think), that many former Blackberry users on here jumped shipped over there so the data are skewed.

I wouldn't be surprised if that weren't the case though, as someone pointed out, Android phones are popping up on Sprint and Verizon, where formerly Blackberry was the undisputed smartphone of choice for those carriers.
    06-03-10 12:49 PM
    Dont find it surprising at all. RIM has the farthest to fall since they have much more US marketshare. Its not surprising that iphone was clustered right with WebOS and WM at almost 1/4th the rate of BB users defecting. Whether you agree or not, the numbers consistently show iphone users are pretty happy with their phones, even more so than other manufacturers for the past 2-3 years.

As said, on other carriers there werent great smartphone options. It was really a BB or a WM phone so people went BB. Now there's Android so theres another choice out there. So its not surprising to see BB lose people to the new choice as WM has already lost all the people its going to lose at this point.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-03-10 at 02:02 PM.
    06-03-10 01:57 PM
    Everyone loves to flock to a new device without doing any research whatsoever. I want real world experiences to come to me before i decide to move onto anything. What if it has a 4 hour battery life? What if it sucks to type on? Etc...

Many of the people who switch immediately don't know what they're getting into and often regret their choices.
    06-03-10 03:31 PM
    I think it is fair to say a nice portion of the people who are leaving Blackberry for Android are people that probably went into Blackberry with the wrong expectations. Just look at all the posts about needing 1-1.5Ghz processor and all the other media and App complaints. Granted, improvements would be nice and necessary, for the time being, that is not Blackberry. We all know that. They have never "led the way" in that area.
    I've been a blackberry user for over 3 years now, and I love blackberry. But I want a more powerful device with a large screen. I've had both the storm and the storm2, and to be honest, I'm disappointed. I jumped ship for the HTC Desire. Battery life is horrible, but then again ANY smartphone that's NOT a blackberry has horrible battery life.

I just want a change. I feel like I've been left behind. I've gone from the 8100 > 8800 > 8300 > 8900 > 9000 > 9500 > 9520 > 9700. I never felt like I changed devices. I feel like it's the SAME berry every time. I need a change until november or december, to renegotiate my contact and maybe i'll get the 9800 . Who knows!
    06-03-10 03:39 PM
    Everyone loves to flock to a new device without doing any research whatsoever. I want real world experiences to come to me before i decide to move onto anything. What if it has a 4 hour battery life? What if it sucks to type on? Etc...

Many of the people who switch immediately don't know what they're getting into and often regret their choices.
    That's not true. I've done a ton of research, and I know exactly what I'm getting into. A change. I just posted and said I've had the same device even though i've had almost every GSM berry out there. I never REALLY updated devices. I want a change. I want a big screen .

Not to mention, my Storm2s battery didn't last me a whole day TBH my iphone friends get the same battery life out of their iphones as I do from my Storm2. So I don't see BBs GREAT battery life on their touch devices, which is what I want.

Regardless, I've done my research and I know what I want. Just because I love blackberry doesn't mean I have to stay with it forever. I want something different for a change. Is there anything wrong with wanting a change? I'm not a CEO and I'm not big and important :P I'm 24 and I've been with BB since I was 20. It has always kept me in touch. For once, I'd like something a little more fun. Something with a bigger camera, a lot of ram and a HUGE screen. BB doesn't offer what I want right now. Regardless, I change phones ever 6 months or so, so when November hits or december for xmas, I might be back and I FOR SURE won't be selling my 9700. It's been too kind to me hehe.

Just a recap: Just cuz someone is leaving blackberry doesn't mean that they're jumping ship without researching.
    06-03-10 03:43 PM
    Eh, polls on blogs aren't relevant. Same person can vote as many times as he/she wants.
    Incorrect. Just like the Blackberry polls that happen in the Blogs here, they are IP tracked, meaning that unless you change the public IP you're coming from, you can't vote more then once. Most home ISPs now use persistant IP addresses that no longer change with a reboot of your DSL or Cable modem and most work places are on static IPs. So, as you can see, unless you employ something like Proxy changes on your browser, it's pretty hard to keep changing your reported IP and who really wants to bother?
    06-03-10 03:49 PM

It doesn't. My roommates have both an Incredible and EVO, both are very nice phones.

The battery life is a bit short on the Incredible though, not 4 hours short. My roommate works in a building that does top secret designs for the government and therefore phones aren't allowed in the building (as most have cameras). As such, he leaves his phone in his car when he's working, completely unused. He'll come out 8-9 hours later to find that 33% of the battery has been drained. I've also read reports that it's plastic body means that one drop = shattered phone.
    06-03-10 03:54 PM
    Can you blame them if this is true. RIM is recycling their devices and Designs. The same curve is released every six months.
    Im myself is interested in the Evo 4G. but i just love BBM.
    06-03-10 03:57 PM
    Incorrect. Just like the Blackberry polls that happen in the Blogs here, they are IP tracked, meaning that unless you change the public IP you're coming from, you can't vote more then once. Most home ISPs now use persistant IP addresses that no longer change with a reboot of your DSL or Cable modem and most work places are on static IPs. So, as you can see, unless you employ something like Proxy changes on your browser, it's pretty hard to keep changing your reported IP and who really wants to bother?
    I stand corrected. I was under the impression that when I voted on those
    polls and hit the refresh button and had the option of voting again, that it
    was being counted again. I just tested it on the Android Central poll and the
    poll number remained the same after I voted the first time.
    06-03-10 04:45 PM
    It doesn't. My roommates have both an Incredible and EVO, both are very nice phones.

The battery life is a bit short on the Incredible though, not 4 hours short. My roommate works in a building that does top secret designs for the government and therefore phones aren't allowed in the building (as most have cameras). As such, he leaves his phone in his car when he's working, completely unused. He'll come out 8-9 hours later to find that 33% of the battery has been drained. I've also read reports that it's plastic body means that one drop = shattered phone.
    Ummmm. Doesn't the Ego drop tomorrow? How does roommate have one?

06-03-10 05:33 PM

A number of people have been able to get one already.
    06-03-10 05:37 PM

You trully are a brilliantly funny person.
    06-03-10 11:10 PM
    You trully are a brilliantly funny person.
    Can't take credit for that. It was a happy accident with spell checker. But it is pretty frikin funny.
    06-04-10 04:37 AM
    Hurry up and move to Android before you get left behind!
    06-04-10 04:56 AM
    You can tell the pioneers from the arrows in their backs.

If you want a phone that works. Stick with BlackBerry.

There's a whole line of BlackBerry phones that all work pretty much the same. They are dead relaible and, if you know what you are doing, they don't crash.
    06-04-10 05:20 AM
    Hurry up and move to Android before you get left behind!
    He lives! I figured you finally found a mobile device with a command prompt interface. When I didn't see you chime in on Civics rant about tiered data plans I started to wonder....

06-04-10 06:42 AM
    You can tell the pioneers from the arrows in their backs.

If you want a phone that works. Stick with BlackBerry.

There's a whole line of BlackBerry phones that all work pretty much the same. They are dead relaible and, if you know what you are doing, they don't crash.
    There are a couple of things BB does exceptionally. If those are your sacred cows then surely BB is your platform.

However reliability is not one of those items. Just your point that you need to know what you are doing speaks to a lack of reliability. Android and Apple are far more stable. Of course there are things that they don't do well either.

Basically there are great for all of us, depending on what your needs are.

06-04-10 06:47 AM
    There are a couple of things BB does exceptionally. If those are your sacred cows then surely BB is your platform.

However reliability is not one of those items. Just your point that you need to know what you are doing speaks to a lack of reliability. Android and Apple are far more stable. Of course there are things that they don't do well either.

Basically there are great for all of us, depending on what your needs are.

There are clearly two worlds, Crackberry and the real world.

In the real world all phones have issues. More than one iphone owning friend has had the screen crack for no reason. Hard resets on the iphone (however that's done I don't know), come and get 'em.

Droid delayed emails, although the new crop of phones will surely come with their own set of issues.

WinMO....pick your issue.

Blackberry...pick your issue as well.

In the Crackberry world, which tends to be an aggregator of negative comments issues are blown way out of proportion. If all of the phones in the real world were as bad as some of these threads make them out to be, manufacturers would get a solid 'F'.
    06-04-10 08:17 AM
    I actually just switched from an Android phone to BB. I'm actually liking BB much better - a lot of my friends have them and I felt like I was missing out. Haha
    06-04-10 01:09 PM
305 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD