Alright, so I have now used both devices a good amount, and I can do a fair comparison. I feel like a lot of people are considering going from one device to the other and there's never any really good comparisons between the two devices.

HARDWARE:
    So, no question, the 8330 feels better in the hand. Being a male, with larger hands, I enjoy the more square/rectangular shape of the 8330. The 4 main buttons (Talk, BB, Back, End/Power) on the 8530 feel a little cheap and plasticky. While they were plastic on the 8330, they had a little more of a tactile feel and 'clicked' easier. I feel like I have to push down really hard on the 8530- like a resistive touch screen or something.

That being said, I do prefer the trackpad just a tad over the trackball. I was luckily never afflicted with a weird/wonky trackball, so I didn't mind it, but the trackpad gives the device a more streamlined look. However, it is a little less precise in my experience. So it's really a draw.

The Keyboard on the 8330 is considerably better than the 8530. The keys are much less narrow and have a much easier click. Just like the main buttons, the keyboard on the 8530 needs to be pressed harder and the awkward diamondy keys are just not as comfy to type on.

The 8330 camera has a flash, which I didn't realize how much I'd miss until I didn't have it. It's mind boggling to me WHY Rim wouldn't put one on the 8530. It's just insane, especially since this device is supposed to be the true successor to the 8330. You don't strip features from a successor. You add more.

SOFTWARE:
    While I had OS 5 on my Curve 8330, I think it is obviously optimized for the 8530. It runs much smoother. For example, the 'Imagining' theme in the BB App world (which has been floating in the top 25 free apps forever now) really stuttered on the 8330, but runs smooth as butter on the 8530.

Additionally, I remember that even after shrinking the OS on the 8330, I still had only about 30mbs of free space to play with. After adding a few apps like UberTwitter and Kindle, that space diminished quickly.

If you plan on having more than 3-4 apps on your device at once, I would say that you NEED the 8530. The 8330 just can't cut it, since the device was introduced before the whole concept of an on-device app store really took off.

I know many of us fear the 'spinning hourglass of death' and I would say I experienced it MUCH less on the 8530 than the 8330.

SUMMARY:
    I would say that ultimately it's a personal choice. The 8330, though older, feels better in the end, has a flash, and is an overall solid device with a better keyboard. If you generally just use the device for messaging and taking pictures, I would say this is a better device. It feels like it could withstand falls or knocks a lot better than it's successor.

For the 'newer generation' of phone users who are accustomed to downloading tons of useful (and some useless, let's be honest!) apps, you need the extra onboard memory of the 8530. Additionally, it is more pocket-friendly and is overall much faster.
    06-02-10 03:33 AM
    I am totally with you on the 8330's form factor and function buttons being more preferable. The squareness, thickness and what-not feel better in the hand. Overall the device feels like what you would think a blackberry should feel like. But then, I have always loved the way devices like the 8830 look and feel.

Although when I first got the 8530 I would have agreed with you on the keyboard, it took little over a month for me to really get the hang of it. Now I wouldn't go back. In fact, I just turned on my 8330 and tried to type a couple of sentences on it. After getting used to the 8530's it's tuff to go back.

Good comparison. Don't forget that the 8530 has WiFi and the GPS works!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 04:03 AM
    I have used both, and I prefer the 8530. The 8330 does have the true BB feel to it though. The only drawback of the 8530 is no flash. Other than that is beats the 8330 is just about every aspect.
    06-02-10 11:27 AM
    Dang I want to write a review..I would just copy and paste and tell everyone who already knew about the difference between a 8330 and 8530..thumbs up :|

06-02-10 07:46 PM
    I have had both phone and I agree with you on some aspects about the 8330 but I would prefer the 8530 even though it doesn't have a flash I do miss my flash a lot on the 8330 though... O well you can only go forward ... Hopefully on the next-next (I said next twice on purpose) upgrade rim will make one with a flash...

06-02-10 09:33 PM
    If you had the curve 8330 and now have the 8530, does anyone know how or where to get the icon theme that was avail on the 8330 where your icons were on the left & bottom part of the screen (shape of an L) and didnt intrude onto your background as much? I dont like the top and bottom set up that is avail on the new 8530. I like to have pics as my background and this top and bottom set up really ruins it.

Thanks
    07-03-10 12:31 PM
    I had the wicked stepchild of the 8330, the 8350i. The "flash" always made for horrible pictures. Without the flash they're bad enough. My wife's "free" Pantech phone takes awesome pics. Face it, this phone wasn't made to take quality pics.

07-03-10 06:05 PM
    Alright, so I have now used both devices a good amount, and I can do a fair comparison. I feel like a lot of people are considering going from one device to the other and there's never any really good comparisons between the two devices.

HARDWARE:
    So, no question, the 8330 feels better in the hand. Being a male, with larger hands, I enjoy the more square/rectangular shape of the 8330. The 4 main buttons (Talk, BB, Back, End/Power) on the 8530 feel a little cheap and plasticky. While they were plastic on the 8330, they had a little more of a tactile feel and 'clicked' easier. I feel like I have to push down really hard on the 8530- like a resistive touch screen or something.

That being said, I do prefer the trackpad just a tad over the trackball. I was luckily never afflicted with a weird/wonky trackball, so I didn't mind it, but the trackpad gives the device a more streamlined look. However, it is a little less precise in my experience. So it's really a draw.

The Keyboard on the 8330 is considerably better than the 8530. The keys are much less narrow and have a much easier click. Just like the main buttons, the keyboard on the 8530 needs to be pressed harder and the awkward diamondy keys are just not as comfy to type on.

The 8330 camera has a flash, which I didn't realize how much I'd miss until I didn't have it. It's mind boggling to me WHY Rim wouldn't put one on the 8530. It's just insane, especially since this device is supposed to be the true successor to the 8330. You don't strip features from a successor. You add more.

SOFTWARE:
    While I had OS 5 on my Curve 8330, I think it is obviously optimized for the 8530. It runs much smoother. For example, the 'Imagining' theme in the BB App world (which has been floating in the top 25 free apps forever now) really stuttered on the 8330, but runs smooth as butter on the 8530.

Additionally, I remember that even after shrinking the OS on the 8330, I still had only about 30mbs of free space to play with. After adding a few apps like UberTwitter and Kindle, that space diminished quickly.

If you plan on having more than 3-4 apps on your device at once, I would say that you NEED the 8530. The 8330 just can't cut it, since the device was introduced before the whole concept of an on-device app store really took off.

I know many of us fear the 'spinning hourglass of death' and I would say I experienced it MUCH less on the 8530 than the 8330.

SUMMARY:
    I would say that ultimately it's a personal choice. The 8330, though older, feels better in the end, has a flash, and is an overall solid device with a better keyboard. If you generally just use the device for messaging and taking pictures, I would say this is a better device. It feels like it could withstand falls or knocks a lot better than it's successor.

For the 'newer generation' of phone users who are accustomed to downloading tons of useful (and some useless, let's be honest!) apps, you need the extra onboard memory of the 8530. Additionally, it is more pocket-friendly and is overall much faster.
    I love the 8530 keyboard. Mine is very easy to type on I have a nice slip on case and it gives it more umph to hold. I don't mind the size of it. Since the OS upgrade photos are better battery improved too.
    Call quality has always been good. I had the Tour and after 4 of them. The TRACKPAD is amazing. I have small hands. Love it love it

07-03-10 06:32 PM
    I was also looking for the same and I have yet to find a decent one. The link below is an L one for our model BB but the icons are bulky and it has a weather thing or something on the upper right of the screen which even if u delete it, there still is the verizon person symbol in my case. I just found it not very much what I was looking for.
    For now I been using the default Precision theme and I've kinda gotten use to it (did have to condense some my folders tho bc less icons on homepage) I don't like the black on top and bottom tho.

Simple L Theme - Themes BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    07-04-10 12:19 AM
    i had a curve and i will never like it ...so freaking slow
    07-04-10 12:47 AM
    The 8330 felt more solid and of higher quality then the current 8530. But the performance between the two is no match. 8530 handsdown.

But if RIM wantsto continue in the lead, they need to look
    at producing a solid feeling phone. The 8530 clearly
    misses big time on this point.

Tim
    07-04-10 07:33 AM
    The 8330 felt more solid and of higher quality then the current 8530. But the performance between the two is no match. 8530 handsdown.

But if RIM wantsto continue in the lead, they need to look
    at producing a solid feeling phone. The 8530 clearly
    misses big time on this point.

Tim
    I think you are totally missing the mark. RIM took a look at what people were buying, the iPhones, Samsungs, LG's, etc and found that most people were buying the "thin & light" featured phones. Even the 9700 is considerably lighter and smaller than its predecessor. So while your opinion is that RIM is missing the mark, they are just missing the mark that you set, not what is actually selling.
    07-05-10 12:51 PM
    Hey guys i just down loaded the simple L app. Now i lost my facebook,weatherbug,life in a pocket and it added a gmail. I already had one gmail now have 2. Where did they go.??? I have the bb 8530 curve.. OK i am dum i found them sept facebook.but how do i get rid of 2nd gmail...

Thanks
    Last edited by zzr1200; 07-05-10 at 05:29 PM.
    07-05-10 05:22 PM
    Ok, i found everything but i did a hide on 2nd gmail. So now i lost both gmails. Anyone help me get it back. Where does it go when you hide it.
    07-05-10 06:03 PM
    Ok, i found everything but i did a hide on 2nd gmail. So now i lost both gmails. Anyone help me get it back. Where does it go when you hide it.
    Just press your BB key and select Show All.
    07-05-10 06:45 PM
    Thanks KwKid .. Sometimes your better off not changing things. LOL
    07-05-10 07:16 PM
    Thanks KwKid .. Sometimes your better off not changing things. LOL
    Nope, change is good, that is what makes all the smart phones out there so much fun, making it into what you want it to be. BTW, take a look at this link:

BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com

Tons of great information on using/setting up your BB. Highly recommended!
    07-05-10 07:22 PM
    I've had both. Like the op said 8330 is good for messaging and calls with 5.0 installed. The 8530 is a much faster and smoother device. I've gotten used to size and keyboard.

07-06-10 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD