...I have been the biggest defender of the Storm since I got it. Things annoyed me, but BBM is great as I don't have unl txt and i liked screen.

Memory was always an issue.

My friends have iphones (didn't really want) and my wife switched to Eris a couple of months ago.

After using her phone for a couple of days, i think i will be getting the incredible in Oct when I'm up for upgrade. I have 12 apps on Storm and memory is below 18MB. My wife has pages of apps and hers is down to 100+MB left. The phone is quicker (though rotation from portrait to landscape is 4.7 like). Their "app world" is actually something good unlike bb appworld, which is borderline offensive.

Guess I've just had it with the storm. 4 more months..
    06-01-10 11:41 AM
    can't say i blame you. to each his own! good luck on the other side!
    06-01-10 11:48 AM
    The battery would've been a deal breaker except my Storm battery last 1 and 1/2 days, so I have to charge every night anyway.
    06-01-10 11:58 AM
    did yours come with a sleeve?
    iirc all blackberrys used to come with a sleeve (my storm did), which had a little magnet that made a sensor shut off the screen and lock the keyboard, without bothering with a button that can get accidentally repressed or an annoying password.
    06-01-10 12:07 PM
    Enjoy. Just remember, your phone is now a year and a half old. Your only comparisons should be with other similar age phones. Of course the new phones are better. If they weren't I'd be pretty upset with the lack of progress in technology. Just remember that even the ERIS or Incredible will seem old and slow in a year and a half as well (and the Storm will seem even more outdated by then, which it will be).

You shouldn't be defending the phone, it just is what it is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 12:17 PM
    And am glad for many reasons. First thing I like about it is for my use, it is way more phone than I need. It does way more than the dumb phone I came form, has a great screen for me since I am not picky about the touch screen deal, love the way it works, and the memory on mine whic is 8g right now is way more than I think ill ever need, but I do have a 16g micro SD card if it will work in the thing too!

Anyway, I am glad that I am not a latest greatest person since I don't have the needs some of you do or use my phone for as much as a lot of us here do. Basically what I mean is I am lucky I don't HAVE to use my phone for anything but a phone, and occaisional emails and text and one or two surfing sessions a month!
    06-01-10 12:20 PM
    That is a very good point krypto. I have a 2nd gen iPhone that is unlocked and jailbroken although it served me well while I had at&t, it too is out dated especially when compared to phones like the droid or the incredible

06-01-10 12:25 PM
    I'm still thrilled with my phone... would I like an upgrade? yes...

but there's no way I'd upgrade to anything else I don't think - the Storm 2 isn't enough of an improvement to bother for me, since the memory of the Storm has more than enough App memory to manage the applications I actually want

I haven't played around with Android Market a whole lot yet, but I've used a few android phones, and honestly? I'd take the Storm over any of the current batch... I'm sure by 3.0 or 4.0 Android will be the best phone OS on the market, but it's not quite there yet.

I've contemplated going to the 9700, but I'm going to wait and see how the Storm 3 looks/works - what little has been said sounds promising, and if it's correct, better than anything on the market right now, BB, iPhone or Android.
    06-01-10 03:30 PM
    By october you'll be looking at S3 vs Droid Xtreme or VZW version of the EVO that will be LTE. The storm is/was a decent device if you worked on it. Many of us are die for our new contracts in the later half of 2010 and there is just some flat out exciting stuff happening. Competition is a wonderful thing.

06-01-10 04:04 PM
    It's not just the Storm, but Blackberries as a whole. What if you bought a top of the line BB today? Say a Bold 9700 or Storm 9550...you'd be getting the addition of WiFi and extra memory (but not much more).

Everything else you dislike about the Storm1 is still there. Laggy OS, poor app support, memory leaks, unreliable BIS, crappy browser...

So what you're really saying is you dislike RIM. And I agree. But relative to RIM's other devices, the 9530 isn't so bad.
    06-01-10 05:26 PM
    It's not just the Storm, but Blackberries as a whole. What if you bought a top of the line BB today? Say a Bold 9700 or Storm 9550...you'd be getting the addition of WiFi and extra memory (but not much more).

Everything else you dislike about the Storm1 is still there. Laggy OS, poor app support, memory leaks, unreliable BIS, crappy browser...

So what you're really saying is you dislike RIM. And I agree. But relative to RIM's other devices, the 9530 isn't so bad.
    This completely sums up RIM/Blackberry right now. Everything about the OS just seems a bit stuck in the past...are blackberry turning into the new Windows Mobile 6????
    06-09-10 05:11 PM
    ...I have been the biggest defender of the Storm since I got it. Things annoyed me, but BBM is great as I don't have unl txt and i liked screen.

Memory was always an issue.

My friends have iphones (didn't really want) and my wife switched to Eris a couple of months ago.

After using her phone for a couple of days, i think i will be getting the incredible in Oct when I'm up for upgrade. I have 12 apps on Storm and memory is below 18MB. My wife has pages of apps and hers is down to 100+MB left. The phone is quicker (though rotation from portrait to landscape is 4.7 like). Their "app world" is actually something good unlike bb appworld, which is borderline offensive.

Guess I've just had it with the storm. 4 more months..

I know exactly what you mean. I'm surrounded by people with all these Droids with HDMI inputs, etc, iphones and new Iphones coming out. Damn. Storm is like OVER. It has passed and a new Stronger Wetter Storm should come out, or at least some kind of tease..

How about upgrade to Storm 2
    06-12-10 11:28 PM
    At the current rate of improvement no matter what you buy, something way better will be available in 3 months... the current economy, it's the only way they can keep phones moving.

As far as the OS being outdated, I still think that RIM has one of the most solid OS bases available for smartphones - most of the complaints are about lag, and look - and frankly, the BB OS can look any way you want it to look.

The applications are for the most part on par with or better than what you can get for Android or iPhone OS - granted there isn't nearly as many apps, but there isn't much disparity in quality apps... and as far as quality apps go, well - Apple has done pretty well with the iPhone... RIM is on par as far as QC of Apps that make it into App World, but a lot more open as far as who can develop apps, and how they can be installed - same goes for ringtones, the quality is equal, but it's much easier to make a ringtone for BB OS (Apple doesn't let you add anything without adding it though iTunes, you can't make your own and add them). There are concerns it's TOO easy to add apps to Android, and concern that this is where you'll see the source of spyware/adware/virus activity in smartphones

Really, most of the complaints simply boil down to features...

And featurewise, I get as much or more from my Storm than I can get from the newer, faster phones. the only thing missing really is a webkit browser (which comes with OS 6), and I'm not so sure I even want that - websites optimized for computers will cause absurd data usage, which I just don't need to pay for (admittedly, over Wifi that would be sweet... but I also have a computer with me most of the times I'm somewhere using Wifi)

If the Storm 3 isn't fast enough, maybe I'll suck it up and grab the iPhone 4... and then for 2 years, I'll live with a kick bum iPod with a crappy phone built in
    Last edited by squire72; 06-13-10 at 06:04 AM.
    06-13-10 05:59 AM
    I'd take the Storm over any of the current batch... I'm sure by 3.0 or 4.0 Android will be the best phone OS on the market, but it's not quite there yet.
    Now THAT'S funny!!
    06-13-10 06:11 AM
    At the current rate of improvement no matter what you buy, something way better will be available in 3 months... the current economy, it's the only way they can keep phones moving.

As far as the OS being outdated, I still think that RIM has one of the most solid OS bases available for smartphones - most of the complaints are about lag, and look - and frankly, the BB OS can look any way you want it to look.

The applications are for the most part on par with or better than what you can get for Android or iPhone OS - granted there isn't nearly as many apps, but there isn't much disparity in quality apps... and as far as quality apps go, well - Apple has done pretty well with the iPhone... RIM is on par as far as QC of Apps that make it into App World, but a lot more open as far as who can develop apps, and how they can be installed - same goes for ringtones, the quality is equal, but it's much easier to make a ringtone for BB OS (Apple doesn't let you add anything without adding it though iTunes, you can't make your own and add them). There are concerns it's TOO easy to add apps to Android, and concern that this is where you'll see the source of spyware/adware/virus activity in smartphones

Really, most of the complaints simply boil down to features...

And featurewise, I get as much or more from my Storm than I can get from the newer, faster phones. the only thing missing really is a webkit browser (which comes with OS 6), and I'm not so sure I even want that - websites optimized for computers will cause absurd data usage, which I just don't need to pay for (admittedly, over Wifi that would be sweet... but I also have a computer with me most of the times I'm somewhere using Wifi)

If the Storm 3 isn't fast enough, maybe I'll suck it up and grab the iPhone 4... and then for 2 years, I'll live with a kick bum iPod with a crappy phone built in

My take?

RIM is geared for the corporate market. It doesn't do consumer or geek stuff well because most IT departments don't want the hassles of fixing the phones when things turn sour.

Android can quite comfortably serve most normal business needs, but they're appeal is much broader, therefore, they don't have the investment into corporate requirements that RIM, who cut their teeth on that stuff does.

Do I miss my Storm? Absolutely not! I chucked an extended battery into my Incredible...fits right in without needing a new back cover...and most of the phone's shortcomings are now covered. When Froyo hits the streets, I think all of my dreams of what a portable phone device should be will be fulfilled. I can't see myself rooting this phone for any other reason than to satisfy the geek in me.

I sure don't miss daily battery pulls...installing hybrids that fix one issue and break three more...balky screen rotation...keyboard lag...and all of the other fun stuff that was life with Storm. I was never a user of BBM, and Google Voice will simply blow that away.

I harbor no hard feelings. I made a bad choice with the Storm, which is my fault. I bought the phone because I needed something right then, and was rather happy with the WM6.5 device I had before a lawnmower ate it.

Phones are rather intimately personal accessories to modern life. Each person's needs are quite unique and there is no platform that is likely to satisfy the myriad of desires people have.

I can't see the need to apologize or defend one phone over another. If you've reached that stage, your current phone probably isn't doing the job anymore.
    06-13-10 09:07 AM
    Douger, as a FYI, mu phone doesn't need daily battery pulls and hasn't for a long time. But each is still entitled to their own opinion.

06-13-10 12:12 PM
    My take?

RIM is geared for the corporate market. It doesn't do consumer or geek stuff well because most IT departments don't want the hassles of fixing the phones when things turn sour.

Android can quite comfortably serve most normal business needs, but they're appeal is much broader, therefore, they don't have the investment into corporate requirements that RIM, who cut their teeth on that stuff does.

Do I miss my Storm? Absolutely not! I chucked an extended battery into my Incredible...fits right in without needing a new back cover...and most of the phone's shortcomings are now covered. When Froyo hits the streets, I think all of my dreams of what a portable phone device should be will be fulfilled. I can't see myself rooting this phone for any other reason than to satisfy the geek in me.

I sure don't miss daily battery pulls...installing hybrids that fix one issue and break three more...balky screen rotation...keyboard lag...and all of the other fun stuff that was life with Storm. I was never a user of BBM, and Google Voice will simply blow that away.

I harbor no hard feelings. I made a bad choice with the Storm, which is my fault. I bought the phone because I needed something right then, and was rather happy with the WM6.5 device I had before a lawnmower ate it.

Phones are rather intimately personal accessories to modern life. Each person's needs are quite unique and there is no platform that is likely to satisfy the myriad of desires people have.

I can't see the need to apologize or defend one phone over another. If you've reached that stage, your current phone probably isn't doing the job anymore.
    Sorry you have the Incredible.
    If ya had a N1 youd already be on FROYO
    Even though its still the "test version", it runs very well.
    06-14-10 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD