hello there all just looking for some advise on how to upgrade my blackberry os software on 8900 my current software version is v4.6.1.310 on orange mobile network

can anyone point me in the right direction of what to do to upgrade the software on here and also how its done and where i get the software from

im totally new to this site so as much help as you can offer would be great!!!

thanks guys!
    05-30-10 05:54 AM
    Here are instructions on how to install and upgrade your phone to the latest os. Hope this helps.

Instructions for installing new os:

1. Back up all important info and any 3rd party apps from device using DM (info) & BBSAK (3rd party apps).

2. Uninstall previouse os from pc, then install newly downloaded os onto pc. (After installing you will be prompted to restart pc)

3. Delete vendor xml file in c: program files/ common files/ research in motion/apploader

4. Run BBSAK and connect device to pc. Wipe the device completely using BBSAK.

5. Wiping device will take about 2-5mins and device will initialize and show white screen which will say reload software 507.

6. Click reload os on BBSAK while phone is still connected, and follow reload or os install instructions.

7. Restore all backed up info and apps once os install is completed using DM & BBSAK.

Entire process should take no less than an hour depending on how much you have to back up and restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-10 12:16 PM
    I'd go with the 592. OS upgrade. The 681. still looks a little glitchy. Unless you'd like to be one of our first guinea pigs to tell us how your phone is doing with the 681. lol
    05-30-10 03:35 PM
    I'd go with the 592. OS upgrade. The 681. still looks a little glitchy. Unless you'd like to be one of our first guinea pigs to tell us how your phone is doing with the 681. lol
    .681 is pretty solid..
    had it for few days now and only one glitch/bug happened
    05-30-10 03:51 PM
    okay thanks for the help guys...just wondering what the main differences are between 4.6 verison and 5.0??

what is different on the handset any new features etc?
    05-31-10 03:26 AM
    Having just upgraded from 4.6 to 5.0 a few days ago, I'm still getting the hang of some of the changes. Pretty much, the main differences are the sms texting is now threaded - it looks just like the BBM messaging. The pictures in the media folder can now be scrolled through viewing by just moving the trackball left or right while viewing the picture. In the options menu, when you go to "themes" it gives you some more options pertaining to the active theme - for better customizing. It seems to run A LOT smoother and doesn't go slow at all. It freed up a lot of memory - for me, I was running with about 79mb of free memory with 4.6, and now I'm at 112mb of free memory with 5.0. The web browser seems to be better too, faster loading, better page views, etc. You also have much better customizing options for the ringer profiles - number of vibrations, the length of the vibration, etc. For messages, it now gives you the option to be notified of a text or whatever while you're in a call- which is very nice. Umm, that's about all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'm missing a lot. All in all, it's a huge improvement and I fell in love with my 8900 all over again.

By the way, I'm running 5.0.0.509
    05-31-10 04:13 AM
    ive been on .681 since it leaked, has been absolutely fine for me, hadbeen running on willyboy's hybrids before which have been Spot on, but havent gotten round to downloading his latest,

defo worth the upgrade to 5.0 though!
    05-31-10 07:31 AM
    .681 is solid for me. 1 bug since install, and I installed it the day it was leaked.
    Will upgrade to Willyboy v5.0 now; I'll let you know how it goes.
    05-31-10 12:37 PM
    Can anyone provide me with a link to OS 5, i'm also on Orange and have a 8900.
    06-03-10 12:12 PM
    Can anyone provide me with a link to OS 5, i'm also on Orange and have a 8900.
    very top of this section fella,
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ne...chison-473239/

just follow the instructions listred on the page and should be fine!
    just remember to delete the Vendor.xml file then doulbe click the launcher.exe in the same folder and away you go!
    06-03-10 12:26 PM
    cheers mate
    06-03-10 12:45 PM
    Erm, i installed the OS you provided then restarted my BB and now it wont turn on. Any idea whats going on?
    06-03-10 01:55 PM
    dont know matey, all installed okay?? - might be advisable to start your own thread though! rather than hijack someone elses!
    06-03-10 02:26 PM
    Here are instructions on how to install and upgrade your phone to the latest os. Hope this helps.

Instructions for installing new os:

1. Back up all important info and any 3rd party apps from device using DM (info) & BBSAK (3rd party apps).

2. Uninstall previouse os from pc, then install newly downloaded os onto pc. (After installing you will be prompted to restart pc)

3. Delete vendor xml file in c: program files/ common files/ research in motion/apploader

4. Run BBSAK and connect device to pc. Wipe the device completely using BBSAK.

5. Wiping device will take about 2-5mins and device will initialize and show white screen which will say reload software 507.

6. Click reload os on BBSAK while phone is still connected, and follow reload or os install instructions.

7. Restore all backed up info and apps once os install is completed using DM & BBSAK.

Entire process should take no less than an hour depending on how much you have to back up and restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    right guys im doing it at the moment but not sure on what to do on this point...i have also installed bbsak and backed up 3rd party apps but not sure on this point....anyone offer some more in depth how this is done please??

also point 3 i can only find a file called device XML File..do i delete that??

im currently on v4.6.1.310
    06-05-10 01:33 PM
    for step 2 > Go to My computer > uninstall or change a program ( usually top of the window ).

Look for BlackBerry Device Software. I'm not sure you're gonna find one unless you've upgraded your OS previously.

for step 3 > Go to My computer / local disc c: / program files / common files / Research In Motion / AppLoader and look for it here. If you did not find it, uninstall this OS ( as explained earlier ) and reinstall it again by double clicking on the file you've downloaded.
    06-05-10 02:10 PM
    for step 2 > Go to My computer > uninstall or change a program ( usually top of the window ).

Look for BlackBerry Device Software. I'm not sure you're gonna find one unless you've upgraded your OS previously.

done what you said and can only see blackberry desktop software 5.0.1 nothing else
    06-05-10 02:21 PM
    so, all good

now download and install the OS you would like to upgrade to . . I recommend the .509 but the .681 is the Latest
    06-05-10 02:31 PM
    ahmed thanks for your support so far with this....do you have a link for the .509 that you reccomend i think i just downloaded .592 ut if you reccoment the .509 then ill just do that

plus do i delete the blackberry desktop software or leave it ??

right i downloaded the .509 version and i have went back into apploader and can now see this vendor file...what next??
    do i delete that and then what...

downloaded that .509 version and then bb desktop manager came up and started loading different things...im now abit stuck haha
    Last edited by safc_stevo; 06-05-10 at 04:10 PM.
    06-05-10 02:42 PM
    yes, delete the vendor file

Leave the Desktop software installed coz you'll need it for the backup and restore part

Close Desktop Manager that just started and follow the guide in here > http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ne...ml#post5187089

Sorry for the late reply
    06-05-10 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD