I have been posting about my signal issue/dropped calls. The recommendation has been to call Sprint. After dropping 2 today, I called them and they said my "percentage" of dropped calls wasn't enough to open a ticket. They said I had only dropped 17 calls on one tower and 4 on another since I got the phone out of 500 and something calls. That is just rediculous. I don't care how many calls I made, 21 dropped ones is bad. I have been with Sprint for almost 15 years and I probably haven't had 21 dropped calls in all that time. My 8330 never dropped calls, and it's not like I moved to a different town or something. I'm very unhappy. Not so much the fact with sprint not fixing it, I know if I go all the way through to cancellations they would swap it, refund it, whatever......., but I REALLY like the phone other than the signal. It is snappy, clear, etc. Any advice? I really find it hard to believe it is the handset, but I may have to keep calling until they swap it.
    BTW, I have done numerous provisions, updated OS, tried 1XEV only, tried Global, tried taking the sim card out / flipping it backwards, etc. etc. all the little tricks. None have worked so far.
    Thanks in advance.
    05-27-10 05:33 PM
    Not too late to return it for the Evo!
    05-27-10 05:35 PM
    The Evo has actually crossed my mind........I can't believe it!
    05-27-10 05:39 PM
    Could be the OS radio code. Problem is there aren't enough OS revisions on the 9650 to swap the radio codes around much...

You can swap radio codes pretty easy with Shrink-A-OS.
    05-27-10 05:41 PM
    I have been posting about my signal issue/dropped calls. The recommendation has been to call Sprint. After dropping 2 today, I called them and they said my "percentage" of dropped calls wasn't enough to open a ticket. They said I had only dropped 17 calls on one tower and 4 on another since I got the phone out of 500 and something calls. That is just rediculous. I don't care how many calls I made, 21 dropped ones is bad. I have been with Sprint for almost 15 years and I probably haven't had 21 dropped calls in all that time. My 8330 never dropped calls, and it's not like I moved to a different town or something. I'm very unhappy. Not so much the fact with sprint not fixing it, I know if I go all the way through to cancellations they would swap it, refund it, whatever......., but I REALLY like the phone other than the signal. It is snappy, clear, etc. Any advice? I really find it hard to believe it is the handset, but I may have to keep calling until they swap it.
    BTW, I have done numerous provisions, updated OS, tried 1XEV only, tried Global, tried taking the sim card out / flipping it backwards, etc. etc. all the little tricks. None have worked so far.
    Thanks in advance.
    Call up retentions tell them that device keeps dropping calls.
    Let them know that youve troubleshooted provisioned etc your total over it & want another one your within 30 days of purchase.
    If that one stinks go EVO
    05-27-10 05:43 PM
    I had the same problems with the BB 9630 (TOUR). Tried several different things, went through at least 4 handsets, worked with Verizon for weeks, no problem with the Curve though. Didn't want a Curve. The only thing I didn't try that they did suggest was a network extender. I didn't try that because you need to have it by a window and that wasn't possible at the time. You might want to try it though. When the 9650 comes out on Verizon I'm thinking about trying that. By the way, we have no problems with any of our other cell phones. It's weird isn't it!
    05-27-10 05:48 PM
    The 9630 has a known signal fluctuation issue (it's all over the place).

I have not seen this on the 9650 or the 8530 though.
    05-27-10 05:49 PM
    8330 had pretty good signal but didn't hold steady.
    9630 was terrible 1X drop on many occasions lots of 0 -4 flux
    I'm now using my 4 year old beat up Treo 700wx to hold me over till EVO arrival and its holding steady 5 bars solid best signal Ive seen in 3 years.
    BBs have been holding me back lol
    Last edited by Slingbox; 05-27-10 at 06:16 PM.
    05-27-10 06:11 PM
    Returning my 9650 for the EVO--- but you better believe I Will buy the 9800 when it comes to sprint. I just signed on to sprint so long haul here I go.
    05-27-10 06:23 PM
    Thanks for all the informative comments and for not bashing! It is really wierd how the tours have weak/fluctuating signals. I had an 8330, daugher 8530, wife palm pixi, mom pearl, dad lg450, all have no signal problems and no dropped calls. Then I get this pig! Really sucks. People tell me it sounds choppy, calls dropping, I'm so aggravated. Just provisioned it again, put the sim card back in, I don't think that trick really does anything. The only thing that seems wierd is the tower locations the sprint rep referred to, neither of them were to close to my house or around my house where I work. They are actually pretty far away, I am interested in what Papp said about the OS radio code, I'll have to check into that. As far as the network extender, that wouldn't work, it's not at home where I really have the problem, its just around town, in places where I've never had a problem.
    05-27-10 06:38 PM
    Returning my 9650 for the EVO--- but you better believe I Will buy the 9800 when it comes to sprint. I just signed on to sprint so long haul here I go.
    The 9800 will be nothing special. Did you see how laggy the os6 (theme) ran on it? You will enjoy the Evo more.
    05-27-10 06:41 PM
    Judging pre-released OSes based on way early demos on unreleased hardware doesn't make much sense...
    05-27-10 06:57 PM
    I am returning my 9650 for signal issues also. It goes back and forth from 1XEV to 1X and then goes to EV or ev. Once it gets there i cannot turn the radio off to reset, i have to do 2 battery pulls. Going back to my 8530 it has never done this. And when i had my tour it did the exact same thing. Really sucks.
    05-27-10 07:05 PM
    Are you using the latest software (.699)?
    05-27-10 07:14 PM
    Are you using the latest software (.699)?
    Not sure who that was referred to, but it it was me yes i am.
    05-27-10 07:18 PM
    Did u try going to a sprint store and
    exchanging for another 9650 yet ? Y not give another one a try?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 07:29 PM
    i guess ive just been lucky havent had any signal problems and i just switched to spring and got the phone but i hope everything works out for ya = )
    05-27-10 07:30 PM
    Judging pre-released OSes based on way early demos on unreleased hardware doesn't make much sense...
    Actually, I'm basing this on my last 3 years with blackberry.
    05-27-10 07:32 PM
    The evo is almost as big as a dolla bill. I couldn't believe how big it is compared to other touch screen phones. If u use the phone without bluetooth a lot it might get annoying holding in yur hand. They have a demo unit in best buy mobile store here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 07:33 PM
    Yes, so you heard it here first. Purchase devices based on TheOne01's insight on how OS6 will be. Solid ground.
    05-27-10 07:35 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/85...update-443423/

OS can cause reception problems. So even getting a completely different phone, you aren't necessarily preventing this from happening. You're just hoping whatever OS it's running in combination with the hardware isn't going to have a reception problem in your area.
    05-27-10 07:40 PM
    Yes, so you heard it here first. Purchase devices based on TheOne01's insight on how OS6 will be. Solid ground.
    You can continue to fantasize about os6. All I know is what I saw.
    05-27-10 07:46 PM
    I didn't say OS6 was awesome or anything at all. I also didn't jump to conclusions on something I haven't used and isn't released.
    05-27-10 07:48 PM
    I didn't say OS6 was awesome or anything at all. I also didn't jump to conclusions on something I haven't used and isn't released.
    If it's not ready then don't show it. Again, I can only go by what I see.
    05-27-10 07:54 PM
    If it's not ready then don't show it. Again, I can only go by what I see.
    Let me see if I got this right. Your solution is to show nothing about OS6 at WES 2010... As if that would result in a positive for RIM somehow?
    05-27-10 08:08 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD