Hey guys, i came across this article that talks about BlackBerry, limitations, and why RIM could get screwed because of the OS etc, have a read...as much as I'd hate to say it, i think its very true...RIM is in trouble.

Have a read RIM should release BlackBerry 6 before June 7 | Business 2.0 Press and lets see what u guys think...anyone BB user plan to make the switch, maybe to Android??

have a good day, crackberries....!
    05-27-10 01:40 PM
    That sounds like one big crackberry rant that we hear on a regular basis lol.
    05-27-10 01:52 PM
    You know what? That sounds like a great idea!
    Besides, what are the chances that the OS will be as buggy as the original for the Storm1?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 02:15 PM
    Also: looking at the article there are a few glaring flaws in his logic, which I will go into detail on when I am at my computer.

05-27-10 02:19 PM
    This is funny. Did you know that of the 41 million people that have a BlackBerry, only 20% are on version 5.x? 80% of all users are running some version of 4.x. Accept for the CrackBerry community and RIM employees, nobody cares (or even knows) about 6.0. If it never came out, or was an utter failure and everyone who tried it traded in their bb for an iphone/droid, RIM wouldn't even notice the difference in revenue. These multiple, daily threads of people demanding that 6.0 be this, or 6.0 be that, or they'll go get a droid are cracking me up.

I'm hoping that it comes out soon and that it surpasses our expectations, but if you're hanging your hopes and dreams on 6.0, implying that you're quite dissatisfied with your current phone/OS, go get a different phone. You might love the change, and if you don't, RIM will still be here for you to come back.
    05-27-10 02:32 PM
    Yeah, I don't think this guy really knows what he's talking about...

However, BlackBerry Enterprise Server remains very costly, and as competing platforms offer messaging capabilities nearly on par, again, it is becoming increasingly difficult for smaller businesses to adopt the BlackBerry today.
    Didn't they just release BESX which would be the opposite of what he just said here..?
    05-27-10 02:46 PM
    I would rather see OS 6 later and know that it is stable upon release than to see them rush it and have a lot of problems. Personally, I am in love with OS 5. It has everything that I really wanted in an OS and that's including the iPhone OS, Android, webos, and others. I truly love OS 5 and wouldn't mind waiting another year for OS 6. I hope that OS 6 still has a lot of the features that OS 5 has in it. I'm sure that there are many that will disagree, but those are my thoughts.

05-27-10 09:28 PM
    About Business 2.0 Press | Business 2.0 Press

The Business 2.0 Press (b2p) is based in Toronto, Canada, and was founded in 2008 to bring the world relevant and reliable news and analysis about business, tech, and web 2.0. ...

Chris Vassalos - Contributor
    Chris joined the Business 2.0 Press in 2008 and is responsible for everything web, design and media. He is a graduate from the Art’s program at Ryerson University in Toronto, Canada. He currently resides in Toronto, Canada. He is very passionate about photography and art, and loves everything Apple, Google, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, the web, and his iPhone.
    I guess we know where he is coming from.

Chris's own web site could use some attention.

http://www.chrisvassalos.com/
    05-27-10 09:39 PM
    i would love to see 6 before june 7th but if its not ready its just not ready
    05-28-10 12:18 AM
    This is funny. Did you know that of the 41 million people that have a BlackBerry, only 20% are on version 5.x? 80% of all users are running some version of 4.x. Accept for the CrackBerry community and RIM employees, nobody cares (or even knows) about 6.0. If it never came out, or was an utter failure and everyone who tried it traded in their bb for an iphone/droid, RIM wouldn't even notice the difference in revenue. These multiple, daily threads of people demanding that 6.0 be this, or 6.0 be that, or they'll go get a droid are cracking me up.
    There's a big disconnect in your logic. Just becuase people DONT upgrade doesnt mean they even know about the new OS or have the skill to do so themselves. There's also a huge issue with carrier approval for OS updates outside the geek community who installs a new beta OS every other week. Carrier updates are far and few between. MANY devices dont even have an official 5.0 OS update out still.

Second, RIM's device upgrade process isnt the easiest in the world. Its not iTunes where you hook it up, it says you have an upgrade to download, gets it and installs it putting everything back on the phone the way it was. Ive been tinkering with smartphones for 5-7+ years and BB upgrades still give me issues sometimes. Its just not a smooth general consumer process who less knowledgeable people about smartphones.

Youre also talking a lot of corporate users who dont the ability to mess with their devices and tinker putting new OS's on. You have a lot of "older" corporate crowd in that, 35-65 years old, who are given a BB through would and they barely can manage to do anything with the thing besides calls, email, and text let alone do a whole OS upgrade when its a combination of not being a streamlined process, lack of official updates, and not knowing a new OS is available.

Just because people dont have it installed doesnt meant they arent interested in improvements. Id bet if you went around and told people on older OSs there was actually an OS5 and youd do the process for them theyd be more than willing to use it. The issues are ease of upgrade and knowing the updates are even there to begin with, not sheer refusal or lack of interest to try them
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-28-10 at 12:39 AM.
    05-28-10 12:31 AM
    About Business 2.0 Press | Business 2.0 Press

I guess we know where he is coming from.

Chris's own web site could use some attention.

http://www.chrisvassalos.com/

LOL!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth! I went to see who this guy was because I really thought it was a conglomerate of the usual ranting Apple acolytes we get here and came across the same thing. The company puts out great entertainment centric devices with some business functionalities upgrades thrown in, but the zealots who kneel at the Jobs altar are the ones that really turn me off.

*Yawn....* Same predictable rants and trolling regardless of how long one stays away....
    05-28-10 03:14 AM
    I dont care.. I want them to be out tomorrow or even RIGHT NOW.. Some angel please help us and leak that OS

- Charles
    05-28-10 04:36 AM
    I would rather see OS 6 later and know that it is stable upon release than to see them rush it and have a lot of problems
    Naw, I want a reasonably buggy 6.0 to be released right away so we can have lots of OS leaks regularly flying around here on CB for a long time. Fun, fun, fun! Plus CB's ad revenues would go up and Kevin can host a hospitality suite with an open bar at next year's WES.
    05-28-10 06:29 AM
    i would love to see 6 before june 7th but if its not ready its just not ready
    I completely agree. However, I'm quite excited about push RSS feeds and better GUI. But like I really don't want a buggy release of the OS. After 5 different 8900's and a 9700 I've already had enough problems since september!
    Is there actually any apps that cover push notifcations for RSS feeds?

05-28-10 09:04 AM
    There's a big disconnect in your logic. Just becuase people DONT upgrade doesnt mean they even know about the new OS or have the skill to do so themselves. There's also a huge issue with carrier approval for OS updates outside the geek community who installs a new beta OS every other week. Carrier updates are far and few between. MANY devices dont even have an official 5.0 OS update out still.

Second, RIM's device upgrade process isnt the easiest in the world. Its not iTunes where you hook it up, it says you have an upgrade to download, gets it and installs it putting everything back on the phone the way it was. Ive been tinkering with smartphones for 5-7+ years and BB upgrades still give me issues sometimes. Its just not a smooth general consumer process who less knowledgeable people about smartphones.

Youre also talking a lot of corporate users who dont the ability to mess with their devices and tinker putting new OS's on. You have a lot of "older" corporate crowd in that, 35-65 years old, who are given a BB through would and they barely can manage to do anything with the thing besides calls, email, and text let alone do a whole OS upgrade when its a combination of not being a streamlined process, lack of official updates, and not knowing a new OS is available.

Just because people dont have it installed doesnt meant they arent interested in improvements. Id bet if you went around and told people on older OSs there was actually an OS5 and youd do the process for them theyd be more than willing to use it. The issues are ease of upgrade and knowing the updates are even there to begin with, not sheer refusal or lack of interest to try them
    I completely agree with you.

the people that say the article is just trolling etc, that is complete bs, idk why u would even paste that about section trying to imply he's simply trashing the BB since he "loves his iPhone"

everything in the article is true about the BB, these are REAL limitations that RIM needs to fix.

as far as I'm concerned, RIM isn't at all innovative, look how long it took to get HTML email.... look how long its taking to get some proper integration with GMAIL.... it is ridiculous
    05-28-10 10:35 AM
    I Dream. I wish there will be OTA Update Features.Auto will be better
    05-28-10 01:13 PM
    I can dream for the OS 6.0 coming out with the VZ 9650. Anyone that "loves" their Iphone would definitely have a bias against writing anything positive about other phone platforms. Just as I can't argue enough with my cousin about his Nokia E71 phone.
    05-28-10 10:13 PM
    OS 6.0 is out to testers already. A couple of my friends are running it on their berries. They did say tho, that they got a new set of NDA's for this. RIM is going nuts about their freaking leaks.

I'm sure a REALLY IN DEPTH LOOK at OS 6.0 will make everyone extremely happy and will get everyone excited about the future of owning a berry.
    05-29-10 02:46 AM
    OS 6.0 is clearly going to come out first on new hardware and the new hardware isn't due in a week's time so that person was just being foolish in his demands, rushing incomplete software out would harm rim far more at the moment.
    05-29-10 05:07 AM
    OS 6.0 is clearly going to come out first on new hardware and the new hardware isn't due in a week's time so that person was just being foolish in his demands, rushing incomplete software out would harm rim far more at the moment.
    Which software that RIM has released in the last couple of years wasn't incomplete? It fixes this only to break that.
    05-29-10 07:08 AM
    Let's keep in mind that this is not in RIM's control if they have OS 6 out for testing. OS5 hit the 9530 first. Also it was a higher build and actually had a few features that version that came on S2 did not have. So it is possible that OS6 could drop for S2 or a 9700 before the Slider or VZW 9650.

I do tend to think the slider would be first, but who knows. Maybe that is what the june 17th event is...

05-29-10 08:02 AM
    OS 6.0 is out to testers already. A couple of my friends are running it on their berries. They did say tho, that they got a new set of NDA's for this. RIM is going nuts about their freaking leaks.

I'm sure a REALLY IN DEPTH LOOK at OS 6.0 will make everyone extremely happy and will get everyone excited about the future of owning a berry.
    I hope we see more soon. Android 2.2 is looking good, especially on devices like the moto shadow. And we all know what is coming from Apple.

05-29-10 08:05 AM
    I hope we see more soon. Android 2.2 is looking good, especially on devices like the moto shadow. And we all know what is coming from Apple.

Its very true but we all have to accept that sadly you can't compare any of those phones with Blackberry. They are extremely good phones with a lot to offer, from apps all the way to functionality (I mean FROYO can handle FLASH like its nothing).

The thing about Blackberry is those push notifications. That can't be done by anyone else and at the end of the day there is a lot of people that need those. I'm sure once the new slider and 6.0 are released a lot of people that left blackberry will come back. Why? Because 6.0 will be fluid, fun, and sexy LOL, but overall very straight to the point.

05-29-10 11:18 AM
    Let's keep in mind that this is not in RIM's control if they have OS 6 out for testing. OS5 hit the 9530 first. Also it was a higher build and actually had a few features that version that came on S2 did not have. So it is possible that OS6 could drop for S2 or a 9700 before the Slider or VZW 9650.
    You are assuming they have os6 out for testing on older devices, given that they will probably have to work harder to squeeze it into the lower memory devices it is very unlikely that it is anywhere near as far along as on the slider.

Incidentally, I think you have paired the 9650 with the wrong device, it is most likely going to be on a lower priority than phones like the slider or the flip, albeit more os6-ready than the likes of s2 or 9700.

I do tend to think the slider would be first, but who knows. Maybe that is what the june 17th event is...
    It is certainly possible, announce it officially then to ship mid to late july perhaps.
    05-29-10 01:31 PM
    lets not forget the competition Android is giving....its not just about the iPhone here.
    05-31-10 04:30 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD