First I would like to say hello to my fellow berry folks. This is my first post on this site. I was a regular on blackberryforums.com but I see there is a greater following on crackberry, so I'll share my story here......

I have AT&T for my carrier and I was up for an phone upgrade. A few months ago I purchased a brand new 9550 (had the Pearl2 before that and the original Pearl before that!) that was unlocked and I loved it!!! Since this was a Verizon phone, I could not use AT&T's 3G network so I decided to go with the "next best thing", the Iphone. Well, 24 hours later I was returning the phone back to the story. I was unimpressed. Here are the reasons why, though they may seem petty, was enough for me to give it back.........

1. No LED status indicator. I didn't realize how much I actually depended on this. For example, if you get a text or better yet miss a text, you MUST push the home button to turn the screen on to see if you received a text or not. With the Blackberry, a quick glance at the status indicator LED would let you know that. This will never be capiable with any current Iphone as they do not have any such "bulb". There are apps that can "flash" the screen but I can imagine that would play a big part in the battery life. I've read on a few Iphone forums that the users wish they had an LED indicator, while other said that it would be annoying to have this feature. But as annoying as it may be, it is an OPTION with the Blackberry.

2. No sound profiles. Well, it actually has two. Silent, which you only have the option to change vibrate to on/off. The other option is just a general option where you can change the loudness on the ring via a slider. There is a Sound Profile app that'll cost you about $7.

3. You cannot use any apps outside the Apple App store unless you "jailbreak" it. Jailbreaking will void your warranty. We all already know Blackberry is open to all outside apps.

4. Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that.

5. Scary to think what happens to this phone when the battery actually dies, since you can't replace it (not a reason to totally ditch the phone but worth noting).

A few things that were pretty sweet on the Iphone........

1. Safari. Very nice and extremely user friendly. Was very fast but I don't have anything to compare it with since my Blackberry could not use the 3G network. Hopefully RIMs new browser will be up to par.

2. A trillion apps..........Nuff said........It'll be quite awhile for Blackberry to catch up in that department. But my guess it that 95% of Apples apps are pretty useless.

3. No clicking. This is bitter/sweet for me. For typing, clicking is a MUST for me and I missed it dearly. But for larger "depressions" like icons and such where mistakes are minimal due to the fact of the larger area to push on, a simple tap on the screen was very nice. I wish a "tap not click" was an option on the Blackberry, as I would be tapping icons and clicking text.

Well, I hope this helps anybody thinking about getting an Iphone to replace their Storm. I should have did my homework first but I would have never looked for things that one would think SHOULD be standard on a phone........
    05-26-10 06:48 PM
    I posted an earlier thread about the number of apps I have on my 9550 S2. 75 3rd party, and with the add on and core apps a total of 90. Of the 3rd party, 24 are fun and games types and I use less than half, and only once in awhile. Simple diversions. Of the other 51 I might use 8 regularly, another 5 or 6 occasionally.

Having a bazillion apps I guess is something. But having and using are not the same thing.

iPhone apps are over rated. Some are cool, most are worthless. Just like on my Storm2.
    05-26-10 07:09 PM
    I posted an earlier thread about the number of apps I have on my 9550 S2. 75 3rd party, and with the add on and core apps a total of 90. Of the 3rd party, 24 are fun and games types and I use less than half, and only once in awhile. Simple diversions. Of the other 51 I might use 8 regularly, another 5 or 6 occasionally.

Having a bazillion apps I guess is something. But having and using are not the same thing.

iPhone apps are over rated. Some are cool, most are worthless. Just like on my Storm2.
    You're right. The only reason why I even brought up the apps, is because that seemed to be a major driving point for their phone sales. I've owned a total of 3 different blackberrys, and had/have about 30 apps total between the 3. So the apps part wasn't a factor for me but may be for others......
    05-26-10 07:19 PM
    I went from the iphone to the Storm2.
    Surepress was a huge selling point for me. If RIM continues to refine this technology, I think they'll have a lot of converts. It takes a while to get used to, which I think turns people off initially.
    05-26-10 09:48 PM
    I went from the iphone to the Storm2.
    Surepress was a huge selling point for me. If RIM continues to refine this technology, I think they'll have a lot of converts. It takes a while to get used to, which I think turns people off initially.
    Surepress............i went a whole day without it............boy that sucked.......
    05-26-10 10:29 PM
    I bought myself a 3Gs iPhone and I was really impressed with what the device offers in terms of multimedia, and internet. But that's about it. iPhone came with its own annoyances many of us are well aware of here.

I could use it for about 5 months, and soon found out that it is not really an "entertainment" after the luster wears off in a couple of months. It remains a pretty device that plays music, surfs internet, doesn't do the calendar well, and pays your bills through some very polished applications.

AT&T was the reason I switched, finally. iPhone itself wasn't able to receive the already weak signals in busy towns. I literally used to remove SIM card from iPhone and put it in HTC tilt phone and it worked much better. A replacement iPhone did the same in my areas I travel to. I realized that it simply isn't a great "phone".

I had to switch to Verizon, and it also means I was ready to give up on entertainment piece of it. So I decided to go for Blackberry which gives me my work e-mails, too. iPhone did not support it, and I didn't feel the need anyway. I chose Storm 2 because I don't like the tiny physical keys on BB.

Call quality has significantly improved on Verizon. Storm 2 is a very decent phone. The entertainment factor is limited to brick-breaker but hey..

SurePress is a total turn-off in the beginning at least for me. iPhone was a joy to type on.

5.0.0.607 OS has freeze issues, anyone?
    05-27-10 08:54 AM
    I bought myself a 3Gs iPhone and I was really impressed with what the device offers in terms of multimedia, and internet. But that's about it. iPhone came with its own annoyances many of us are well aware of here.

I could use it for about 5 months, and soon found out that it is not really an "entertainment" after the luster wears off in a couple of months. It remains a pretty device that plays music, surfs internet, doesn't do the calendar well, and pays your bills through some very polished applications.

AT&T was the reason I switched, finally. iPhone itself wasn't able to receive the already weak signals in busy towns. I literally used to remove SIM card from iPhone and put it in HTC tilt phone and it worked much better. A replacement iPhone did the same in my areas I travel to. I realized that it simply isn't a great "phone".

I had to switch to Verizon, and it also means I was ready to give up on entertainment piece of it. So I decided to go for Blackberry which gives me my work e-mails, too. iPhone did not support it, and I didn't feel the need anyway. I chose Storm 2 because I don't like the tiny physical keys on BB.

Call quality has significantly improved on Verizon. Storm 2 is a very decent phone. The entertainment factor is limited to brick-breaker but hey..

SurePress is a total turn-off in the beginning at least for me. iPhone was a joy to type on.

5.0.0.607 OS has freeze issues, anyone?
    Hmmm that's interesting that you prefer the ifone's keyboard to the surepress. Maybe it ust takes some getting used to because I didn't like it at first after coming from a traditional BB. But as far as touchscreens I find it faaaar superior to the rest.
    05-27-10 10:43 AM
    Surepress............i went a whole day without it............boy that sucked.......
    I hear that!!! I was without it for 2 months when I tested the WebOS waters and it was one of the biggest reasons I came back to my Storm 2
    05-27-10 11:22 AM
    While I agree the iPhone is stronger in the "fun" factor, the Storm 2 should not be dismissed! We are starting to get some games. I will readily admit I haven't used an iPhone and therefore I don't know how much better the same games might be on that, so sometimes ignorance is bliss I guess. But I've found plenty of things to entertain myself with on the Storm 2. Some paid, some free.

I have my entire music database on my Storm with playlists

I watch movies on my Storm when traveling. Some I converted, some I found.

I listen to Podcasts driving to and from work. They download automatically while I sleep (PodTrapper).

I surf the internet and post, etc. From the beginning I always tried to find mobile versions of my favorite sites and even though I have Opera Mini now which does a nice job of full sized sites, I find I still prefer the mobile versions in a lot of cases.

I have UberTwitter...not a huge Twitter fan but I'm now following some people/subjects that I enjoy and I'm starting to learn things I wouldn't have otherwise known.

I have several games that I think are enjoyable...Cake Mania, Need for Speed, Bowling, Pinball. My gaming needs are admittedly minimal as I'm of the "older"generation that had Atari growing up. So I think I'm easily pleased in the game department. I do wish we had some "multi player" option games...OTA and bluetooth would be nice.

I just wanted to point out some things that I think are sometimes overlooked with it comes to the Storm as a multimedia device.
    05-27-10 11:36 AM
    I can't stand iPhone or even apple in general but how can you seriously have a legitemate opinion of a phone with only using it for one day? A week maybe, that would give adequete time to learn all the nuances but seriously, one day? Sounds like you either had buyers remorse or you were letting emotion have too much control over your judgement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 12:34 PM
    Hmmm that's interesting that you prefer the ifone's keyboard to the surepress. Maybe it ust takes some getting used to because I didn't like it at first after coming from a traditional BB. But as far as touchscreens I find it faaaar superior to the rest.
    I was initially very impressed with SurePress. I moved from the 9530 to the 9550, but now it just gets on my nerves.
    05-27-10 12:35 PM
    I was initially very impressed with SurePress. I moved from the 9530 to the 9550, but now it just gets on my nerves.
    different strokes for different folks. I have both a Touch and an S2. I HATE typing on the Touch because there's no feedback and the keyboard is so damned touchy. The briefest touch of a key translates to a keypress, which makes for many typing errors--at least for me. The positive action of the surepress screen is much more to my liking is one of the 3 primary reasons I bought a BB storm in the first place.
    05-27-10 01:08 PM
    I have a iphone 3gs that I use as a ipod touch and I don't think I can use it as an everyday phone as compared to my storm. Multitasking is key to me. I can compose an email, listen to music, play a game, answer a bbm, browse the web, etc without having to exiting and going back into the software.
    05-27-10 01:09 PM
    Ive played around with my brothers iphone and really cant stand it, yes it works and has tons of apps but I hate Itunes and with the iphone your stuck with it. Thats the deal killer for me.

BKVic
    05-27-10 01:10 PM
    Ive played around with my brothers iphone and really cant stand it, yes it works and has tons of apps but I hate Itunes and with the iphone your stuck with it. Thats the deal killer for me.

BKVic
    not to mention the CRAPPY speaker-phone speaker on the iphone. god, that thing sucks! too wimpy. and the screen? not nearly as vivid, nor is the black level as good as on the Storms. for people who love games, the iphone is ideal. when I want to play a game, I fire up my PS3.
    05-27-10 01:16 PM
    I can't stand iPhone or even apple in general but how can you seriously have a legitemate opinion of a phone with only using it for one day? A week maybe, that would give adequete time to learn all the nuances but seriously, one day? Sounds like you either had buyers remorse or you were letting emotion have too much control over your judgement.

I understand what you're saying but they're were things on the S2 that the iphone did not/could not do, that for me, I couldn't live without. Like the LED for example, would not have taken me a week to realize that it plain doesn't exist. Surepress? I've used phones before blackberry, so the non-surpress exprience, I already had, so once again wouldn't have taken me a week to "learn" this technique (though I already knew the Iphone didn't have it but missed it greatly for the whole day I didn't use it.)

But once again, I understand were you're coming from.
    05-27-10 08:17 PM
    common guyss! lets support storm 2! not only to complain about the phone/rim....surely there's a part where storm is better than other....

lets support rim! lets praise them! they did a good job to produce this storm! nothing is perfect..
    support them to make it better and better...everyone knows they have the abilityy to do it.....go rim! go storm 2!

i love my storm 2!
    who elsee come after me?
    05-28-10 04:34 AM
    common guyss! lets support storm 2! not only to complain about the phone/rim....surely there's a part where storm is better than other....

lets support rim! lets praise them! they did a good job to produce this storm! nothing is perfect..
    support them to make it better and better...everyone knows they have the abilityy to do it.....go rim! go storm 2!

i love my storm 2!
    who elsee come after me?
    Shish-Boom-Ra-Ra-Ra! Come on girls lets fight, fight, fight! GGGGGOOOOOO storm!!!!!!!
    05-28-10 04:59 AM
    LOL JK as I love these types of threads....just gives us a reason to rave about the S2!!!

My cousin has the iphone (being trendy) I have the S2 (being important) The Blackberry I think is a far more superior "all around" device period. The iphone is packed with apps and media yes but how much fun can 50 fart apps be after lets say the first week? Multi-Media....great but if you strip away all that what else does it have? Not a lot of substance if you ask me.

I was actually really close to making a switch from my S1 to the 3Gs prior to switching to my S2, I stood up in a store for literally 45 mins playing with the thing, i got bored of the games, bored of the apps that were pre-programmed and said fack it with this femanine hip status called iphone and upgraded to S2.

Could not be happier!!!! BTW Good on you for seeing the light and returning to the truth lol
    Last edited by jiggaman2g; 05-28-10 at 07:57 AM.
    05-28-10 07:52 AM
    I got an iPhone on a thursday night, and returned it saturday. I found it real hard to hold, too skinny. My Storm2 with a 3300 m/a battery is like holding a brick, but at least it doesn't slide out of my hand.

Many complain about the battery life out of the Storm2, but its fixable with a bigger battery. Not an option with the iPhone, and the battery life was horrible, a couple hours at most. Its a nice phone if your a girl, but I want a manly phone.

Didn't like all the control apple has over you. Everything has to be done thru iTunes. My Storm2 is the most customizable phone I ever owned. You can really make it personal, with ring tones, favorite song ring tones, LED color flashes in different colors, etc.

After 4 Storm2's in 39 days, I finally got one that worked well. VZW wanted me to change models, cuz they were tired of all the returns, but I insisted on yet another Storm2. To each their own, my g/f hates the Storm2, but I love it. Just a matter of personal choice.........
    05-28-10 08:01 AM

i love my storm 2!
    who elsee come after me?
    Wow, your kidding right? RIM raises some good sheep. Are they paying you for this fanboism or did you volunteer to be a kamikaze? And the blind guy says "Follow me, I have seen the light!" It is like supporting the pinto while they explode around you.

05-28-10 10:03 AM
    LOL JK as I love these types of threads....just gives us a reason to rave about the S2!!!

My cousin has the iphone (being trendy) I have the S2 (being important) The Blackberry I think is a far more superior "all around" device period. The iphone is packed with apps and media yes but how much fun can 50 fart apps be after lets say the first week? Multi-Media....great but if you strip away all that what else does it have? Not a lot of substance if you ask me.

I was actually really close to making a switch from my S1 to the 3Gs prior to switching to my S2, I stood up in a store for literally 45 mins playing with the thing, i got bored of the games, bored of the apps that were pre-programmed and said fack it with this femanine hip status called iphone and upgraded to S2.

Could not be happier!!!! BTW Good on you for seeing the light and returning to the truth lol
    I saw the light way before I got the Iphone. But I had a few issues.......

1. My carrier, which I also work for, is AT&T and my contract was up for my Pearl 2 so I was up for my upgrade. Because I work for AT&T, my discounts on the service and features are pretty nice.

2. Since I have AT&T and my Storm 2 is Verizon, no 3G.

3. I would like to upgrade to a Blackberry touchscreen throught AT&T......not an option.

4. If my S2 breaks, since I bought it outright and unlocked, I'm out of luck, as AT&T obviously won't replace it.

So, based on this, the Iphone was the best option for me to have a touchscreen phone under contract and warranty............but I plain just didn't like the phone.

So know I back with my very nice S2, which I haven't had ANY issues with (knock on wood). But if I do have issues, I'm dead in the water.....
    05-28-10 11:04 AM
    I have an iphone and storm2...In my opinion reading emails,selecting text, copy&paste are a lot better on the iphone...

05-28-10 11:53 AM
    I have an iphone and storm2...In my opinion reading emails,selecting text, copy&paste are a lot better on the iphone...

agreed (I've got a Touch--no iPhone). Having both is nicer than just owning one or the other, as each has it's unique strengths.
    05-28-10 12:41 PM
    Honestly, I'd take an iPhone over a S2 any day. It's just a much better device IMO. That doesn't mean I think the S2 is a bad phone though.
    05-28-10 01:29 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD