So I've had my Bold for aprox 3 weeks now, and I really want to love this phone. I don't want to just "like" it. Right now I'm there in the "like" phase. What's truly stopping me from loving it ?? Plain n simple is the media data rate .. I have tons of pics on my memory card, and when I want to scroll through them I do not wanna be waiting around twitting my thumbs just waiting for a picture preview. Then when I finally have the picture on the screen and scroll I have these wavy lines, somewhat as to the phone waiting to catch up or something. I don't know, ,maybe it's just a setting that I might not have configured. Anyone have any ideas on this? Iphone, you touch it, it's there. Like I mentioned above I really want to "love" this phone, and that's pretty much my hurdle right now. Also net browsing, but I can live with that since I discovered the bolt browser .. Thoughts and ideas welcomed ..
    05-25-10 09:29 PM
    What OS are you running? The stock OS has that problem with the media. Subsequent builds that I've tried, .442, .586, .593 don't have that issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 10:04 PM
    It could be the memory card if it is not the OS. High end memory card has faster access time.
    05-25-10 10:15 PM
    Welcome to the bbm fam!
    But
    What os are u running?

05-25-10 10:18 PM
    thanks for the replies .. right now I have 5.0.0.405 running .. I do under desktop manager check for updates, but that is the only option avail .. ATT is my carrier ..
    05-25-10 10:33 PM
    Hopefully with RIMs new software coming, things will soon get better all around.
    05-25-10 10:42 PM
    update as soon as you can to fix that. and what brand of card do u have
    05-25-10 11:03 PM
    I have a scandisk 8gb card .. update to which version, and where can I get it from? Under desktop manager it says Im current .. .
    05-25-10 11:13 PM
    The latest is .680 OS.
    05-25-10 11:48 PM
    It's the top sticky in this forum, but here's a link to the download of it and instructions on how to get desktop manager to see it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/ne...-680-a-472990/

Remember, on the download page, it's NOT the first one in the list! Look for release 1149.
    05-26-10 12:12 AM
    Sounds like u have the stock OS... Update it to the latest .680 and then u will be running it smoothly... Also download opera browser u will love that browser

05-26-10 01:09 AM
    so i too am a newbie to the world of blackberry...also coming from the iphone. i must say that until this phone, i've missed apple more than a little. droid, and winmo have nothing, and i mean nothing on apple. their collective touch ui's are so very very very subpar, i finally threw my hands up and went back to a phone with real keys/keyboard...

best decision ever. i truly loved my iphone, and to be completely honest, i still miss it. however, i don't miss att, and their inflated price plan. after trying a droid, a samsung, and the htc hd2, i came to the realization that no touch screen phone had the smooth effortless feel of the iphone...and to be frank, that was the appeal of the touch screen to begin with. i spent many a 12 hours on forums trying to hack my various devices to emulate the iphone ui, but none ever measured up, and somewhere in the search for a replacement, i realized that i had never let blackberry take a turn. i always saw these phones as hip-holstered business devices, but am now falling in love with actual keys underneath my fingers. my emails arrive instantaneously, i am quite delighted with the blackberry app store, and i've finally found a suitable replacement for my iphone.

i don't think i've used more than 20 minutes of my monthly plan thanks to the UMA feature. my battery not only survives a full day of use, but i have more than half a charge at the end of the day...and this is day 3...i've been playing around with it, downloading apps, setting up accounts, and going about my normal day of phone calls, texts, and facebooking. haven't had a phone in 4 years that could survive a day of heavy usage, and i've still got a half full battery 36 hours in!

was also very impressed with service (even with tmobile). my band practices at a soundproof facility that is so well insulated, you ought just leave the phone in the car (this has been true with sprint, verizon, and att), but i still have a strong signal. i'm well aware that it's not the strength of the carrier (no offense T), but rather the phone, and i am happy to know that i have a phone that truly works hard as a phone, while still offering me the fun of games, utilities, and apps i'll probably never use (but downloaded nonetheless).

i AM rather bummed about blackberry's reluctance to welcome mac users into the design fold...which is especially frustrating as a graphic artist, whose had more than a little experience theming. but if we can't theme, then we try and wallpaper to masquerade as building our own homemade efforts. i am currently using the 18 icon theme, with some homemade wallpaper that makes the rather boring stock icons look a little better.

i can't deny that if you're a youtube junkie, web surfer, or app collector that you might be disappointed, but here's the thing...

I USE THIS PHONE. for games, web surfing, facebooking, etc, but i also use it as a phone. all i'm getting at is, i had more apps than i knew what to do with, a substantial library of music, and videos galore, but i didn't really use the device for what it was intended. sure it was sexy and fully loaded, but i was using it for everything but talking to people on the phone.

at any rate, kudos blackberry, and thank you for breathing hope back into a guy who had really come to believe that no mobile could ever measure up.

just my two cents...
    05-26-10 04:07 AM
    so i too am a newbie to the world of blackberry...also coming from the iphone. i must say that until this phone, i've missed apple more than a little. droid, and winmo have nothing, and i mean nothing on apple. their collective touch ui's are so very very very subpar, i finally threw my hands up and went back to a phone with real keys/keyboard...

best decision ever. i truly loved my iphone, and to be completely honest, i still miss it. however, i don't miss att, and their inflated price plan. after trying a droid, a samsung, and the htc hd2, i came to the realization that no touch screen phone had the smooth effortless feel of the iphone...and to be frank, that was the appeal of the touch screen to begin with. i spent many a 12 hours on forums trying to hack my various devices to emulate the iphone ui, but none ever measured up, and somewhere in the search for a replacement, i realized that i had never let blackberry take a turn. i always saw these phones as hip-holstered business devices, but am now falling in love with actual keys underneath my fingers. my emails arrive instantaneously, i am quite delighted with the blackberry app store, and i've finally found a suitable replacement for my iphone.

i don't think i've used more than 20 minutes of my monthly plan thanks to the UMA feature. my battery not only survives a full day of use, but i have more than half a charge at the end of the day...and this is day 3...i've been playing around with it, downloading apps, setting up accounts, and going about my normal day of phone calls, texts, and facebooking. haven't had a phone in 4 years that could survive a day of heavy usage, and i've still got a half full battery 36 hours in!

was also very impressed with service (even with tmobile). my band practices at a soundproof facility that is so well insulated, you ought just leave the phone in the car (this has been true with sprint, verizon, and att), but i still have a strong signal. i'm well aware that it's not the strength of the carrier (no offense T), but rather the phone, and i am happy to know that i have a phone that truly works hard as a phone, while still offering me the fun of games, utilities, and apps i'll probably never use (but downloaded nonetheless).

i AM rather bummed about blackberry's reluctance to welcome mac users into the design fold...which is especially frustrating as a graphic artist, whose had more than a little experience theming. but if we can't theme, then we try and wallpaper to masquerade as building our own homemade efforts. i am currently using the 18 icon theme, with some homemade wallpaper that makes the rather boring stock icons look a little better.

i can't deny that if you're a youtube junkie, web surfer, or app collector that you might be disappointed, but here's the thing...

I USE THIS PHONE. for games, web surfing, facebooking, etc, but i also use it as a phone. all i'm getting at is, i had more apps than i knew what to do with, a substantial library of music, and videos galore, but i didn't really use the device for what it was intended. sure it was sexy and fully loaded, but i was using it for everything but talking to people on the phone.

at any rate, kudos blackberry, and thank you for breathing hope back into a guy who had really come to believe that no mobile could ever measure up.

just my two cents...
    More like a dollar

05-26-10 04:12 AM

just my two cents...
    That's how I feel about my iPhone! I too had more apps that I knew what to do with, page after page, music and video but barely used it for calls. Now I have my Bold 9700 and an iPod touch which is working very well for me now!!
    05-26-10 11:47 AM
    ok.. so I updated to .680 .. I gotta say picture previews come up way faster than before .. Now only thing left is to get rid of those lines as you scroll thru them .. I know Im picky ..
    05-26-10 06:36 PM
    The wavy lines are normal when you cycle through the pics. Unlike the iphone, the 9700 doesn't have a GPU. The BB is not a multimedia machine it's a text machine.
    05-26-10 06:43 PM
    ahhhhhh ... ok ... hopefully 6 takes care of it ..
    05-26-10 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD