Hello, I just purchased a netbook and wanted to know if it was possible to use my Tour 9630 as a modem instead of having to purchase that thing from Verizon that allows you to connect to the internet for like $30 a month. I basically just purchased this netbook so I can use it while at work since our system has many sites blocked and the use of a proxy is not an option. Thanks for any info.
    05-25-10 05:07 PM
    By the way, I searched the forums and seen this asked but all were from other networks (i.e. sprint)..i have verizon so is there something for verizon users. Thanks.
    05-25-10 05:12 PM
    05-25-10 05:29 PM
    Not sure but im going to read up on it. thanks. Do you know if there is any repercussions as far as being caught using this or is it legal to do? I dont care either way but just want to see if i gotta use with or without caution..lol
    05-25-10 05:31 PM
    Ok, i read up on that service and looks pretty impressive. Now my question would be would I be able to use this service for a netbook? I havent yet purchased the netbook but I was planning on buying one when I got out of work today. heres the one I want to purchase

Gateway - Netbook with Intel® Atom™ Processor - Cherry Red - LT2122u

Would tethering work on this product? Will it be easy for verizon to detect that im tethering? if so what are the repercussions? lol
    05-25-10 07:06 PM
    i use tether for my netbook as well as my desktop replacement. from the specs on the netbook i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work...

If you do alot of uploading and downloading, streaming video, I've heard that it increases your chance of Verizon picking up, I personally haven't had an issue.
    05-25-10 07:19 PM
    With T-Mobile, you can use Blackberry DM to do tethering. Its under IP Modem. Not sure if it would work with Verizon but its a free method and can't hurt to try.
    05-25-10 07:37 PM
    i use tether for my netbook as well as my desktop replacement. from the specs on the netbook i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work...

If you do alot of uploading and downloading, streaming video, I've heard that it increases your chance of Verizon picking up, I personally haven't had an issue.
    Cool, and you also use Verizon or do you have a different service?
    05-25-10 09:01 PM
    I have used Tether with my new (3 weeks) netbook. I don't over do it but have used both with bluetooth and usb cable. Works fine.
    05-26-10 12:01 AM
    I use Tether on my laptop and netbook. Both work great. I use a bout 4GB of data a month. Hasn't been an issue.
    05-26-10 11:51 AM
    I use Tether to tether between 1 netbook and two laptop. I'm with VZW and until they start charging an APN user fee, my 100+gb hasn't been charged to me yet.
    05-26-10 01:15 PM
    I'm not sure familiar with Tether and its cost, but I use PDA Net from June Fabrics and I like it a lot. It is a $29 one time fee, and you can download a free trial version to see if you like it before you buy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-10 01:15 PM
    I use Tether to tether between 1 netbook and two laptop. I'm with VZW and until they start charging an APN user fee, my 100+gb hasn't been charged to me yet.
    !!!!!!! Are you serious? 100+gb? in one month? or in the entire time you have been using tether?
    05-26-10 01:39 PM
    !!!!!!! Are you serious? 100+gb? in one month? or in the entire time you have been using tether?
    between pushing and pulling hybrid content, yeah that's about right per month. my phone's always plugged in.
    05-26-10 02:03 PM
    I use Tether which is the old tetherberry.

It is simple and works really well. I used to use the junefabrics application when I had a winmo phone and used it everyday.

They both do the job if you need internet access on the go
    05-26-10 02:19 PM
    Well PDAnet is free and the trial just nags you when it is up so you really don't have to pay for it for a long time. But, you will be able to tether.
    05-26-10 03:01 PM
    I suggest Tether (aka Tetherberry). I have used it now for roughly a year with zero issues. Sometimes I find myself using it as my primary internet source when surfing the web. The price tag is $49.99, but I bought it when they had a sale for $25.00 and often they do that so despite what websites say go to their actual website add it to your cart to see how much it really is. It is also a one time fee. It beats $30 a month.
    05-26-10 09:44 PM
    I actually made a whole video on how to set it up and how to get it for free on another thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/teth...t-free-471081/

also it explains how you can get it for free.
    05-27-10 02:11 AM
    ok that link doesn't work for some reason i'll just link it to the video that i made

05-27-10 02:13 AM
    Thanks for the info. everyone. I got it to work Now my last question is how do I see how many GB's of data I have used so I can monitor and make sure I dont over due it. Thanks.
    05-27-10 01:50 PM
    I have verizon and chose to just pay them the $25 a month (it's on sale). I am a chicken and will admit it. I also don't use leaked OS or many apps outside the standard store. Teatherberry was extrememly tempting and I heard some horror stories about how people did get caught and got charged lots of $. I have also seen more people that never got caught and have used it for years. I chose to just pay the fee because my internet usb modem and my cell phones are all tied to verizon and didn't want to risk getting caught and having them shut down our account. We only have verizon in this area so I can't just switch carriers. I also use my phone to teather my laptop almost exclusively and I use it for school so it's convienant. I am not implying that you could get caught, most have not but verizon is the only company I ever hear about that makes a big issue if you do. To me it just wasn't worth the risk, but the way my luck runs I would be one of those caught lol.
    05-27-10 01:52 PM
    I have used Tether with my new (3 weeks) netbook. I don't over do it but have used both with bluetooth and usb cable. Works fine.
    Same here. Acer Aspire One
    05-28-10 10:35 PM
    Thanks for the info. everyone. I got it to work Now my last question is how do I see how many GB's of data I have used so I can monitor and make sure I dont over due it. Thanks.
    I use a program called Networx. Runs pretty slick and it's free.
    05-28-10 10:45 PM
    These carriers have to know that these tethering programs exist. I think that it is a lot harder for them to detect than we think or else these program would be shut down. Especially with the devices that we have now, we have a lot more downloadable content than ever before. I download at least 200 MB a day in podcasts just form my BB. I could go over the 5 GB cap that some carriers have easily without tethering. Sprint doesn't have a cap, we get unlimited data.

05-30-10 10:40 PM
    These carriers have to know that these tethering programs exist. I think that it is a lot harder for them to detect than we think or else these program would be shut down. Especially with the devices that we have now, we have a lot more downloadable content than ever before. I download at least 200 MB a day in podcasts just form my BB. I could go over the 5 GB cap that some carriers have easily without tethering. Sprint doesn't have a cap, we get unlimited data.

Sprint does have a 5 GB Cap
    05-31-10 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD