I cannot make a call on 3g bold I get call failed or congestion I have to take phone off 3g this is my 3rd replacement and i only had the bold like 2months what should i do at this point a friend in trouble
    www.twittter.com/golden1ne
    05-25-10 12:59 PM
    Is this everywhere you go or only at, say, home? What OS are you running? Have you tried calling tmobile about this?
    05-25-10 01:23 PM
    I cannot make a call on 3g bold I get call failed or congestion I have to take phone off 3g this is my 3rd replacement and i only had the bold like 2months what should i do at this point a friend in trouble
    Sounds like a network issue, you need to call technical support and tell them about it, they can't fix what they don't know about.
    05-25-10 01:28 PM
    I live in a suburb of Boston and have always had super fast data speeds. Lately, last month my speeds have dropped down a little. I know exactly where the towers are in my area and have noticed there has been some work being done on them. Just yesterday I saw an article about T-Mobiles faster speeds reaching NY, Jersey, PA, and yes also in the next two weeks they will be in my area. Saying that in the last few days my normal fast speed has come back and I am trying to rationalize the change in speeds and I think it may have been due to work being done in my area bringing the new faster speeds to my Town. I hope that is what it is. I know the 9700 will not be able to utilize this extra speed but it will give us a much more stable and consistant 3G network. A stable 3G network is fast, dependable and enjoyable to use. I think these bump in speeds will bring these factors to the T-Mobile customers. I'm hoping for this anyways.
    05-25-10 01:38 PM
    TMo should be working on 4g... They're always behind.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 05:35 PM

Pot, meet kettle . T-Mo has been working on their own version of 4g for months. This is what the previous poster was talking about.

05-25-10 05:52 PM

They are in fact working on their version 4g, what do you think the hspa+ is?

Second, do YOU own a 4g capable handset? Not likely as there arent any on the market, and even sprints 4g network isn't everywhere yet.
    05-25-10 05:52 PM
    Last report I read on BoyGenius stated Tmo wasn't going to have an operating 4G network until 2012. This is 2010. 4G and WiMax networks are up and operating. Maybe not everywhere, but they are. Tmo's 3G is subpar in my experience so far. I still get better connectivity and speed on 2.5G.

And second... Why would you even ask if I had one, knowing they aren't on the market? Do YOU (capitalized for emphasis even) own a death ray? Not likely as there aren't any on the market. :-)

I'm not concerned with Sprint because... well... obviously I'm with Tmo and have been for about 8 years.

05-25-10 06:05 PM
    Last report I read on BoyGenius stated Tmo wasn't going to have an operating 4G network until 2012. This is 2010. 4G and WiMax networks are up and operating. Maybe not everywhere, but they are. Tmo's 3G is subpar in my experience so far. I still get better connectivity and speed on 2.5G.

And second... Why would you even ask if I had one, knowing they aren't on the market? Do YOU (capitalized for emphasis even) own a death ray? Not likely as there aren't any on the market. :-)

I'm not concerned with Sprint because... well... obviously I'm with Tmo and have been for about 8 years.

First off, why are you relying on BGR as your news source? Try TMOs forum. And if you did a simple google search for statements direct from TMO, they have been implementing HSPA+ slow and steady around the country for the last 6months+. HSPA+ will be able to support download speeds of 21mbps, where as clear who is backed by sprint is only advertising 6mbps down on their 4g service.

So to clear things up.
    Is tmo implementing 4g? YES they are.

I asked sarcastically about the 4g handset because even the 9700 cant support more than 3.6mbps. So why are you so hopped about 4g when there are no handsets on the market to support it?
    05-25-10 06:12 PM

Actually in PC World Magazine, T-Mobile's 3G network is ranked very highly and is very well praised from studies in like 15 major cities.
    05-25-10 06:55 PM
    Is there anybody actually trying to help this guy? We must have more than one 9700 member on T-Mobile in the Boston area.

Have you tried a simple battery pull? I t might help.

Carriers are always putting up new towers and fiddling with their antennas. It keeps them happy. They are also (more seriously) continuously looking at improving their coverage and trying to get a uniform signal strength in their coverage areas.

Obviously carriers are also expanding their coverage areas too.

Equally obviously LTE will work a lot better if the tibgs I mentioned earlier are implemented.
    05-25-10 06:57 PM
    You should consider upgrading your OS to one of the newer ones. My tmo 9700 out of the box had terrible speeds until I upgraded off the terrible .330 os.

Give it a shot, it can't hurt.
    05-25-10 07:37 PM
    Tmo's HSPA+ is considered "3.5G", not 4G. Hence the difficulty in our conversation. 4G, in due time, will surpass 3G, 3.5G, 3.75G... Whatever.

And I gave you a sarcastic reply because I'm very well aware that there are no Tmo 4G handsets. I do keep up on this because I, probably much like you, am a gadget geek and like to have the latest and greatest. I stick with Tmo however, because of the lower plan prices, the corporate discount I get, and the excellent customer service. I just wish they would be more on the cutting edge of things.

I've upgraded my phone to .656, and while my phone doesn't seem to drop back to GPRS from 3G during calls, I still get slow internet connectivity and speeds.

05-25-10 08:05 PM
    You should consider upgrading your OS to one of the newer ones. My tmo 9700 out of the box had terrible speeds until I upgraded off the terrible .330 os.

Give it a shot, it can't hurt.
    I agree with this guy. Might as well try it out. I think the os upgrade is suppose to help with 3g connectivity but don't quote me on that.

05-25-10 08:26 PM
    To many people talk out of their back sides without knowing. T-mobile is doing just fine.
    05-25-10 08:48 PM
    In South Florida, I had TMO for 6 months, had to go back to ATT. Forget 3G, I was not getting reception inside buildings, and the guy next to me with ATT was using his phone. In the Florida keys, outside I was getting nothing. Use 9700 on both networks and seems ATT is much faster and reliable. Call disconnects at 12-14 minutes, even in UMA. Sorry TMO.
    05-25-10 08:56 PM
    They are in fact working on their version 4g, what do you think the hspa+ is?
    Not 4G. HSPA+ is still in the realm of 3G. Yes it can reach lower end 4G speeds, but it is NOT 4G.
    05-25-10 09:16 PM
    Is this everywhere you go or only at, say, home? What OS are you running? Have you tried calling tmobile about this?

I work for Blackberry support at T-Mobile, the 9700 has a know issue on 3G with tons of dropped calls and such when using 5.0.0.330. We finally updated our OS to 5.0.0.586 which is much improved and you will see tons less on the dropped call issue as well as fixing the sms problems as well. goto Unsupported Browser and get the new software.

I use the 9700 as well so I feel you pain, I upgraded along time ago to every leaked version of the OS and each one was better for the most part with some exceptions.

Hope that helps you
    05-25-10 09:32 PM
    I work for Blackberry support at T-Mobile, the 9700 has a know issue on 3G with tons of dropped calls and such when using 5.0.0.330. We finally updated our OS to 5.0.0.586 which is much improved and you will see tons less on the dropped call issue as well as fixing the sms problems as well. goto Unsupported Browser and get the new software.

I use the 9700 as well so I feel you pain, I upgraded along time ago to every leaked version of the OS and each one was better for the most part with some exceptions.

Hope that helps you
    Not sure why you quoted me, I'm not having problems with my OS. I tried .586 for a couple days and wasn't a big fan. .593 and .656 are so much better in all aspects...
    05-26-10 08:36 AM
    my 3G worked great on T-Mo... full bars most of the time (unless inside buildings)... solid 3G signal and no dropped calls...

however, data speeds were abysmally slow for me (especially tethering)... i was getting more like regular UMTS speeds (~300kbps range, UMTS is max 384kbps), certainly didn't seem like HSDPA was active over here in my area... I got tired of dealing with dial-up like speeds and just gave up... jumped to Sprint and the new 9650... and not looking back... 3 times faster data for me, here in my area (not speaking for anyone else or any other areas)... i can actually use data and tether without going insane!
    05-26-10 08:58 AM
    my 3G worked great on T-Mo... full bars most of the time (unless inside buildings)... solid 3G signal and no dropped calls...

however, data speeds were abysmally slow for me (especially tethering)... i was getting more like regular UMTS speeds (~300kbps range, UMTS is max 384kbps), certainly didn't seem like HSDPA was active over here in my area... I got tired of dealing with dial-up like speeds and just gave up... jumped to Sprint and the new 9650... and not looking back... 3 times faster data for me, here in my area (not speaking for anyone else or any other areas)... i can actually use data and tether without going insane!
    Must be an area based thing.
    Somewhere on this forum I posted a few tethering tests, I was averaging 1mb/down on the nose and about 300k up if I remember correctly. I am in NC north of charlotte, surprisingly I have a strong 3g signal when I connect to it, however when I enter my house, it will usually drop back to edge, and I have to force a scan and reconnect if I want to keep 3g on.
    05-26-10 11:09 AM
    Not 4G. HSPA+ is still in the realm of 3G. Yes it can reach lower end 4G speeds, but it is NOT 4G.
    True, its not pure 4G, its more in the realm of 3.5g, but when they complete the rollout, I would expect a more stable/steady 3g experience overall.
    And considering the size and scope of TMOs parent company, I would bet that they are looking forward to 4g and the tech they rollout with hspa+ will be upgradeable to provide those kind of speeds when they feel like its needed.
    05-26-10 11:14 AM
    If you've only used a 9700 on T-Mobile, I can see how people are upset w/ the 3G speeds. But, I know that other 3G devices on T-mo render 3G very well. Before I got my 9700, I had a Sidekick LX 2009. The 3G on that was incredible (even though everything else on that phone was sorely lacking, lol). Since I work in the outskirts of the KC suburbs, my phone constantly toggles between 3G & EDGE, so now I just keep it on EDGE all the time. It's unfortunate that I can't really tell a difference between 3G & EDGE! On my LX09, there was a HUGE difference!

I thought that some of these OS upgrades were supposed to help 3G rendering. I just upgraded to .586 & I really don't see much of a difference. I had it on 3G all day Sunday & it drained my battery something fierce, even though I was @ home where I get a strong 3G signal. For now, I'm content to keep it on EDGE due to the vastly increased battery life, & comparable speed to 3G (at least on my particular phone in my particular area).
    05-26-10 11:55 AM
    If you've only used a 9700 on T-Mobile, I can see how people are upset w/ the 3G speeds. But, I know that other 3G devices on T-mo render 3G very well. Before I got my 9700, I had a Sidekick LX 2009. The 3G on that was incredible (even though everything else on that phone was sorely lacking, lol). Since I work in the outskirts of the KC suburbs, my phone constantly toggles between 3G & EDGE, so now I just keep it on EDGE all the time. It's unfortunate that I can't really tell a difference between 3G & EDGE! On my LX09, there was a HUGE difference!

I thought that some of these OS upgrades were supposed to help 3G rendering. I just upgraded to .586 & I really don't see much of a difference. I had it on 3G all day Sunday & it drained my battery something fierce, even though I was @ home where I get a strong 3G signal. For now, I'm content to keep it on EDGE due to the vastly increased battery life, & comparable speed to 3G (at least on my particular phone in my particular area).
    On the contrary for me, I can definitely tell the difference between edge and 3g on my 9700. I could also tell a big difference between ATT-Edge and TMO-Edge, on the same device.

What people fail to realize is where they are using their phone plays a big part in what kind of signal they get, IE if they are in a true concrete jungle, rf will bounce and reflect in unpredictable ways, I live in a suburban area so I have no buildings over 3 stories to get in the way of me and my local towers.
    05-26-10 12:48 PM
    Depends on location. T-Mobile 3G here in Miami was horrible for me, but for some was OK. Try getting the SIM replaced.
    05-26-10 01:46 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD