Has anyone heard anything, even a rumor, about how the merger is going for those of us left on Alltel and are going to ATT? Feels like we're being left in the dark.
    05-24-10 11:35 PM
    No clue been waiting since last summer on any word>>>They're keeping it behind locked doors for the most part......
    05-25-10 08:19 AM
    It's all waiting with the FCC. They claim they are looking it over with a fine tooth comb so they don't screw up and approve a merger that would hurt competition. It is looking like it will be approved, but it will be at least around mid june from what we are hearing now and that's if they don't push it back again.
    05-26-10 04:15 PM
    IF they don't push it back again... Ha ha ha ha ha.... I don't see how this merger is any more difficult than the one with Verizon (in fact, I would think this one is easier), so it makes me wonder what the "real" issue is.
    05-26-10 08:39 PM
    The issue is there is a different FCC in control now. When the Verizon merger with alltel went through it was a republican majority in the FCC, now it is a democratic majority in the FCC and they are going through every single thing to make sure it's legit before signing off.
    05-27-10 12:41 PM
    Hi Nicole

I went to a local ALLTEL store (one of two left in my area) and was told by the rep the ATT purchase will not be finalized for another 15 months. I am also an Alltel customer now waiting to be gobbled up by Verizon. I plan to keep my Alltel plan as long as I can since it is $30.00 cheaper per month than a similar Verizon plan.
    06-02-10 10:50 PM
    15 months?...wow(flavor flav). They need to get on the ball and get some new phones then. I've been eligable for an upgrade since Dec09. And my contract has been up since April. I'm bout to get on Sprint or something.
    06-03-10 04:46 PM
    The rep that you spoke with obviously has no clue as to what is really going on concerning the merger. From the updates we have it is looking like it will close toward the end of June first part of July time frame. As with everything dates can and often do change, but it will not take another 15 months. ATT is also planning to fast track the change over process and get it done before the end of the year. If they can get it done or not is up for debate. As far as new phones go the Bold 9650 is currently in testing for Alltel.
    06-03-10 05:52 PM
    asp13, do you work for ATT or Alltel? Do you work for the DOJ? Just curious about where you got your information. According to the Alltel rep I talked to, she had been in a meeting the day before with her regional manager and that was the information she received from the manager. I thought the time frame seemed much too long as well, but I do not have the information she has. I also mentioned the June-July time frame to her but she was emphatic about what she was told. Considering there is still nothing official (or even semi-official) coming from the DOJ about the ATT purchase, I am not surprised by the possible time frame. Just my two cents (and the word of a manager and Alltel rep).
    06-03-10 10:53 PM
    I just ordered the bold from sprint. I'm goin to call alltel and tell them to cancel this line when it gets here. And I'll be payin $30 less per month. So I'm good
    06-03-10 11:05 PM
    I do work for Alltel and I know that none of the RSM's would have given that info since no one knows for sure what will happen as to an official close date. I am not going to get into anything specific, but we are already seeing changes to make sure everything is ready for a close within the next month. The DOJ has already approved the merger, we are waiting on the FCC. The big issue now is a Native American Tribe in South Dakota and the Alltel network on their land. Right now it appears that the only thing left is coming to an agreement with the Tribe. If you are in one of the few Alltel areas going to Verizon that haven't changed over yet, it is possible that it could go well into next year before you end up being Verizon. I read your original post again and noticed you said mentioned both ATT and Verizon. My post was in respect to the ATT merger and the customers going to ATT.
    Last edited by asp13; 06-03-10 at 11:43 PM.
    06-03-10 11:29 PM
    Thank you for all the great information. I am in an area (West Michigan) that is going to AT&T and I have noticed as my business has picked up I am having more issues with drop calls and roaming on the Alltel network. I was told by Alltel this was due to being on the line between two service providers and the calls must be dropped. Will this improve when the AT&T merger is complete?
    06-04-10 09:16 AM
    Thanks for the info asp. I am in one of those weird "in between" markets right now. In my county we had Verizon and Alltel customers. When Verizon bought Alltel (as I am sure you already know) Verizon had to divest its customers. So I am still one of those few Alltel customers waiting for a formal Verizon take over. I assume I could also go to ATT if I wanted to once all the paperwork is done with the FCC. Frankly, I do not like Verizon or its pricing plans. Ironically, I could also go to US Cellular but am not sure their coverage is adequate. Maybe I will just buy a trac phone and forget the whole thing.
    06-04-10 11:13 PM
    Thanks for the info. I'm hoping that the whole deal will be finalized by the end of the year, (I am reallllly liking the looks of that new blackberry slider!) but my contract is up next April, and if everything is still being dragged out at that point, I may just forget about the whole mess and go to Verizon. They first started on this merger a few months before I got my contract and for it to be going on this long is crazy. I wonder what the issue is with the Native American tribe in South Dakota and why they're holding the deal up?
    06-05-10 12:14 PM
    I think that 15 month timeframe you were quoted was what it will take for ATT to convert the markets from cdma to hspa. There are still a couple of objections to the ATT side of the merger and they sent a letter to the FCC a few weeks back addressing the objections and what they will do to overcome them. The biggest objector seems to be the Ogala Sioux tribe. I know at one point they wanted Verizon to give them the part of the network that covers tribal lands so they could run it themselves.
    06-07-10 02:10 AM
    Well the FCC Approved the asset transfer.....So were getting closer now.......Bye Bye Alltel.....
    06-23-10 08:10 AM
    yay! that's good to hear!
    06-23-10 01:11 PM
    06-24-10 08:17 AM
    Thought I'd share a funny... Just got two pieces of mail today from AT&T... both trying to get me to sign up for a business account with them. (I recently opened a small business.) And yet, if I type in my zip code on the website, I get the "we're sorry, we don't have service in your area" message. LOL

But it's getting closer!
    07-26-10 02:07 PM
    Yeah, when I log into my Alltel account it redirects me to an ATT info page with no obvious links back to my account.

Ditto entering my zip code on the ATT wireless page: "we're sorry..."

Wouldn't really care were it not for my contract expiring next month. What to do, what to do...
    07-28-10 09:19 AM
    you can still upgrade your eligible lines with alltel and then still be able to upgrade with ATT when the conversion is over. Most areas are slated to be converted within the next 6 months.
    07-29-10 04:55 PM
    Thanks! This is good to know. The last piece of the puzzle is when Alltel gets the 9650.

you can still upgrade your eligible lines with alltel and then still be able to upgrade with ATT when the conversion is over. Most areas are slated to be converted within the next 6 months.
    07-30-10 09:06 AM
    A rep told me today that they will get it sometime in Aug. I just hope it runs on OS 6
    07-30-10 04:24 PM
    The 9650 is scheduled to be launched before mid-month in August
    07-30-10 07:04 PM
    Got the welcome letter from ATT (on Alltel letterhead):

"Nation's fastest 3G network" true, with a caveat or two

"140,000 apps" Nice but how many of those are iphone?

"talk and browse web or email at the same time" True, GSM beats CDMA on that point.

"get a new phone and keep your current phone number, rate & plan" I'll go with that. Not expecting a free Torch or iphone to replace my Tour, though.

No time line is given about the transition (I'm in MT), other than "in the weeks ahead information" will be sent.

Have my doubts about how good signal will be initially. In MT the CDMA network (Alltel + VZW) is the most comprehensive. Friends from out of state complain regularly about the quirky to poor service on their ATT or Tmo phones. Hopefully it will quickly improve over time.

Not wanting to go over to vzw; that would add another $15 to my monthly family plan. Anyone know of prepaid BB service? yeah, riiiight.
    08-17-10 09:36 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD