How does this curve compare to 8900. I'm in the market for a new bb. Is the onlly difference the trackpad?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 06:26 PM
    How does this curve compare to 8900. I'm in the market for a new bb. Is the onlly difference the trackpad?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=344018
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=341685
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=302517
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=292629
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=287601
    05-23-10 07:30 PM
    Both are nice phones. 8520 is newer and has a trackpad while the 8900 is older with a trackball.

I had an 8900 and it was a pretty decent phone.
    05-23-10 07:34 PM
    is typing on 8520 more comfortable and easier than on 8900?

05-23-10 08:16 PM
    They're both good phones but they both have major difference. Go to the BlackBerry website, and there, you'll be able to compare devices.
    05-23-10 09:28 PM
    is typing on 8520 more comfortable and easier than on 8900?

They basically have same keypad, and I really love typing on my 8530 (which has the same keypad with the 8520).
    05-23-10 09:30 PM
    I would like to see Diego's opinion on this. Which do you think is better?

05-24-10 06:49 AM
    I would like to see Diego's opinion on this. Which do you think is better?

You know how to trick me into typing, don't you?

My girlfriend has a 8900 (got her one in Dec09, while I got my 8520 a month or two before her.) When she came over in Jan09 to spend the month with me, I had plenty of opportunity to compare the devices.

Bottom line, they are almost the same. Had both running 5.0.0.411 back then.

Keyboard is hardly the same. The 8900 is heavier and feels thicker so the keyboard feels a bit wider but it's really just tactical illusion.

Processor speed and memory are also the same, so they perform greatly.

GPS, screen and camera is what draws the line. 8520 does not have GPS, althou we used Google Maps and never got lost, you only need GPS is you need turn-by-turn while driving. 8900's 3.2mp camera has flash and auto-focus. While I know 3.2 and 2.0 are not much of a difference, flash and auto-focus changes water into wine.

Which is better?

For me, the 8520. I can use the media keys to skip traks on he go (walk and bus, no car... yet). I hardy take pictures (when I do, I usually have my 8mp campera along). I do not think a 2.4' is a good place to play or watch videos so NONE of the phones (even the 8900's great 480x360 res) are good for that IMO.

Productivity wise? Both rock.

Take your pick.
    Last edited by diegonei; 05-24-10 at 10:02 AM.
    05-24-10 09:36 AM
    Thanks Diego that was pretty comprehensive!
    05-24-10 09:55 AM
    I'm going to have to agree with Diego. I love how light this phone feels in my pocket compared to the 8900. There's not a ton of differences that I saw, outside of flash, screen resolution, etc. The advantage I give the 8530 over the 8900 (sorry, I haven't played with the 8520) is 3G and the trackpad.

The sleek look of the 8900 was nice... until you've scratched up the "chrome" finish on it. The 85xx has the kind of rubber feel to the sides, it's very smooth and nice.

I would recommend with the 85xx to get a holster for it. Having it go into standby will drastically help your battery life (which to me, is the biggest complaint about this device as opposed to the 8900).

I upgraded my fiancee to this device as well and she's pretty much your novice/I only use email, text, facebook and calendar functions user, and she loves it. I'm more of a "power" user (I run a business pretty much off of this device) and it works perfect for me.

Sorry if this was a ramble.
    05-24-10 10:43 AM
    I haven't used an 8520 but I wouldn't pass up the 8900, it has 480x360 resolution and a much better camera, the 8520 has only 320x240 resolution an a smaller battery. And the 8900 is the same size (actually a teensy weensy bit smaller). They're not *that* different but 8900 is still a win on paper.

I use an Epik Resin case, no scratched chrome.
    05-24-10 12:53 PM
    Ya Diego. Thanks. I knew I could count on you. anyways, in the end (as Diego pointed out) its always about what you need. If you're looking for a phone that makes media a little more better and easier than 8520 is good. In fact, there is so much more than blackberry. Widen your horizons.

05-24-10 03:48 PM
    Ya Diego. Thanks. I knew I could count on you. anyways, in the end (as Diego pointed out) its always about what you need. If you're looking for a phone that makes media a little more better and easier than 8520 is good. In fact, there is so much more than blackberry. Widen your horizons.

Agreed. I see BlackBerry as the top smartphone because it WILL do business greatly AND is capable of providing entertainment.

Now, if entertainment is all that matters, go to the iPhone/Android forums.

I got this 8520 (and will surely get another BlackBerry in 12-24 months) because I needed to me connected to my team and my babe. I got skype contacts, LinkedIn contacts, MSN (not that those are any usefull... but still here), my google contacts, email and calendar (from where I run my LIFE)... 24/7 internet access, instant email with Push... If I don't reply at the very same instant, it's because it was not important.

That's why I went BlackBerry.

Oh yes, and it was DAMN CHEAP for all it delivers! now the iPhone would have been 5x the device's price and 1.5x the data plan... Not that it matters... I had done my homework and I know what each smartphone the 4 carriers here in Brasil had could do and had selected either the 8520 or the 9700, whichever arrived at VIVO 1st.
    05-24-10 08:32 PM
    Let me point out an often times overlooked aspect of this phone, or a by product of the phone, and that is the forum for the 8520/8530. I've been to all the forums, and they are all great, but this particular core group on this forum appears to be more diverse, posts are always well articulated, and just seems to me to be more fun, outgoing, and helpful. Even when we disagree, for the most part, we all support the forum in a positive manner and are happy to be members of the CrackBerry community. That makes owning this phone a big plus in my opinion and an aspect that should be pointed out. I count all the members of this forum as my comrades in arms (phone so to speak) and I'm glad that I have learned so much from everyone. I haven't been online much the last couple of weeks and I find I miss the camaraderie of the group, but hopefully I will get back to normal within the next couple of weeks.
    05-24-10 10:14 PM
    Let me point out an often times overlooked aspect of this phone, or a by product of the phone, and that is the forum for the 8520/8530. I've been to all the forums, and they are all great, but this particular core group on this forum appears to be more diverse, posts are always well articulated, and just seems to me to be more fun, outgoing, and helpful. Even when we disagree, for the most part, we all support the forum in a positive manner and are happy to be members of the CrackBerry community. That makes owning this phone a big plus in my opinion and an aspect that should be pointed out. I count all the members of this forum as my comrades in arms (phone so to speak) and I'm glad that I have learned so much from everyone. I haven't been online much the last couple of weeks and I find I miss the camaraderie of the group, but hopefully I will get back to normal within the next couple of weeks.
    You got lazy after you made it to Master, that's what you mean!

Well pointed thou. Most of the active people here are bound on helping. The other are bound on asking questions! And so, the forum ecosystem is very balanced and lively!

I just wish people could search a bit more, buth hey: we're friendly and (usually) very polite. Some other boards here do not have such luxury :/
    05-24-10 10:30 PM
    Wow. What a good observation. It shows that the phone you have matches you. And the 8500s are a fun, modest, and more enterttainment directed model. No wonder this is such a nice forum.

05-25-10 06:27 AM
    Yeah! 8500 forum FTW! It really is awesome being a part of this forum. What you don't know, someone else will gladly help you out with. I'm not saying that the other forums don't have nice people, just that this one gives me a sense or feeling that we all are neighbors, school buddies, or really close friends and you feel like coming back to see who else has joined up. I think that's why I feel CB is one of my top 5 sites ever!

05-25-10 07:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD