I am with AT&T, so service-wise they are the same. I am just curious if anybody else is thinking to wait and get new iPhone 4G or just decided to go ahead with 9700? My primary two concerns now with 9700 is the lack of the normal browser *and* that that's probably it. iPhone 4G doesn't give me normal messaging (I think so? not sure if it's much easier/nice with iPhone OS 4...). I also would not like to see RIM to move into direction of "sliders" (like they are probably doing with 9800 -- hate the look! I also hate sliders!)
    So I am torn :-)
    Anybody?
    05-22-10 01:53 PM
    9700! That's easy!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 02:04 PM
    I think 9800 would be a lot better. I understand the problem with the sliders but - rim is combining the storm and the regular blackberry into 1 . I think that is a great concept only if it was not a slider it would have been great. The 9800 has the touch screen which I miss from the iphone 3g that I had. However that is the only thing I miss. Texting, email, and functionality is so much better with blackberry I do not miss my iphone at all.

I would suggest figure out what you want to do with your phone. If you use your device for entertainment purposes and not for email or job related activities I would say the blackberry is not for you. There are a lot of people that complain about youtube and other things such as browser not being proper but guess what Blackberry is a business phone and it is designed for functionality not for entertainment.
    05-22-10 02:06 PM
    For me it's very important to have solid email, (not much texting though), calendar, contacts and browser. iPhone can do all but email. Well, to be precise it does email but it's not that fast and nice to use it there. May be because RIM's legacy are pagers, that's why they are good at that.
    So that's what bothers me. In the airport it is usually nice to have an iPhone. With the email - blackberry. It would be very nice to hear from somebody with same needs... And hear their thoughts. I know that iPhone (new one) will have combined mailbox, but it's not that nice yet.

05-22-10 04:06 PM
    The question should not be like that. It's more " do i want a BlackBerry or an iPhone ? This is so much different, BlackBerry is very very efficient in communication it's the best but for entertaining the iPhone will do the job. So you don't have to wait for the iPhone 4G it will be the same as the 3GS with 4.0... What do you want ?

05-22-10 04:12 PM
    I'd wait. For sure I wouldn't get a 9700 though. Not with the 9800 around the corner.

I'd wait till they both hit stores, then try them both out. 4g and the 9800.
    05-22-10 04:33 PM
    9800 is definitely not for me
    hate sliders

05-22-10 04:51 PM
    Yeah, I guess whocancatchme is right. For me it's tough decision. Leaning toward 9700... But again new iPhone is tempting as a new gadget ;-)

05-22-10 04:53 PM
    Im sure i'll get hated on, but the iPhone really blows out pretty much everything RIM does. Now with 4.0 and a larger battery I don't see a reason to really consider much else.
    05-22-10 06:52 PM
    Personally I'd get the 9700, but I value reliability and the messaging (including push tech) above all else. I'm not a huge fan of touchscreens either, but whatever works for you man.

Yea, I'm a college student who also values entertainment (don't use my 9700 for too much work stuff besides schedules and e-mail) but I've never had any problems getting what I want out of my BB browser and media player, although I'm sure Apples is better, that is what they're known for. I am really looking forward to what OS6 and the webkit browser has to show us though.

Like what others have said, it all depends on what you value and what you're looking for
    05-22-10 07:02 PM
    I'm in the same boat.. However, I already have the 9700 and really can't complain. For my purposes the 9700 has worked beautifully and it's definitely the best berry I've owned to date.

That being said, the reason why I want the Iphone is because I'm not really using the berry to its full potential and think I'd get more out the iphone. I do a lot of browsing on my berry and the browser is [obviously] sub-par as compared to the iphone. Also, as far as the email goes.

I'm not using the phone for work purposes, just my personal email accounts so there really isn't a need for an emailing device such as the 9700. Sure, its nice to manage my email accounts so easily from my device but not a necessity.

Anyway, we'll see what happens with the new iphone hardware, software, and carrier. I won't switch the AT&T for the iphone so I'm trying to hold out for VZW but who knows when that will be.

-Good luck

05-22-10 07:12 PM
    You also shouldn't bet on the slider as it may have some problems seeing as tho it is the first of its kind

05-22-10 07:13 PM
    I'd wait for anything 4g. Internet on the bb 9700 is painfully slow. And that's even comparing it with an Iphone 2g let alone a 3gs. My fiance' had a 2g, and so have I. She now has 3gs. I've also had Window's mobile.

As far as email: Anyone who says that email is better on the BB either does not have experience with other phones; or had their email setup wrong on the other phones. I've set up email on 3 different Iphones, and no problem at all. It is just as easy to setup as the BB, and has all the same capabilities.
    Windows mobile does as well, and I imagine Android does too.

As far as texting: All the phones do it pretty much the same. It is just a matter of whatever settings you chose.

The iphone has less bugs, more multimedia capabilies, more and cheaper apps, and way faster internet speeds, and more screen real estate.

But, I'm not a fan of touchscreen keyboards. Also, on Iphone; there is no removable memory via memory cards. Your stuck with what the phone came with.

I'd just wait on anything 4g in general. I have a hard time paying ATT $30USD for a data plan that is barely above 56k speeds! I'd also wait and see what Windows Mobile 7.0 has to offer. It looks interesting.
    05-22-10 07:14 PM
    Apple sucks. Period.

05-22-10 07:18 PM
    Apple sucks. Period.

On what grounds are you basing this claim?

05-22-10 07:31 PM
    Apple sucks. Period.

that's a little dumb and childish to throw some statement like that

05-22-10 08:43 PM
    I love how Beejive (for all my IMs as I don't use BBM that much) and how email works on Blackberry. It's super easy to check what messages you have right away in a blink of the eye. iPhone (currently) requires quite few taps to make this happen. That annoys. With new os4 obviously they fix something with those combined mailboxes, and (maybe as I didn't see that yet) Beejive would make background working app which will suck less..
    But those are things I have to check out.
    Unfortunatelly there is no perfect winner. I have also little hope on RIM OS6
    I am not sure they are breaking grounds there. More like improvements and support for touch devices. Which is NOT their strengh Anyways an they are far bbehind (with the Storm) even with Android...
    Ughhh... ;-)
    wish to have apple fix things. ;-)))

but frankly still love addicted to BBs - I had 9000 and 8900 before and still adore them ;-)

05-22-10 08:50 PM
    I'd skip the iPhone 4G and get an Android phone of some sort... Apple locks their **** way too tight for my tastes... And Droid is quickly flying... The 9800 won't be out til it looks like August to October... so yeah.
    05-22-10 09:08 PM
    Definitely wait and try out all three devices at the store and see which one will benefit you... The 9700 will get the OS 6.0 so you won't have to worry about the web browser being so mediocre... Good luck

05-22-10 11:37 PM
    I'd skip the iPhone 4G and get an Android phone of some sort... Apple locks their **** way too tight for my tastes... And Droid is quickly flying... The 9800 won't be out til it looks like August to October... so yeah.
    Actually many website confirmed that at&t will have the 9800 mid june...

05-22-10 11:38 PM
    If you can't make up ur mind then try both of them out and see which one is better I have a 9700 and I love it but the iphone is also a very nice phone ( for entertainment purpose) and I've used both but I just keep coming back to the blackberry but its all up to u.

05-23-10 12:18 AM
    I'll just be happy when the 9700 can run flash in some way, be it through the new browser or upgrade if ever possible, if there will never be a way for it to run it though then I'd consider switching to a new berry in the future when there's one out that can run it. Untill then I'm sticking with it. If I had the spare money then I'd get an iphone as a 2nd phone to use as a 'play thing'. Having said that, I've never used one before, so who knows, maybe I'd get one to play around with and end up thinking it was so amazing I'd ditch the berry and use it as the main business communication tool? Mmm or maybe not, I don't know, I do know though that as said, if flash could ever be used then 9700 is what I'd chose regardless of how many numbers are put infront of the 'g'

05-23-10 01:15 AM
    Dont' forget that the battery life on the 9700 is absolutely awesome. I have tried and tested many of the latest smart phones (iphone, palm pre, HTC HD2, HTC Hero, Nokia N900) and nothing comes close!!!!!!!!!

Please can someone explain how RIM does this.

On the other phones I used to spend quite a lot of time switching on/off 3g, wifi, data, etc, just to conserve the battery, but on the 9700 I dont have to worry at all. (I have never used bluetooth and always make sure that I'm not running loads in the background - although saying that I can leave MSN and facebook running and I still get excellent battery life). There's no way I could do that with any other phone that I've tried!!!
    05-23-10 04:24 AM
    I can't believe someone hasn't recommended it yet, but here goes.

9700+iPod Touch.

Gives you the email, and messaging workhorse of a bb, plus the apps, games, and multimedia functionality that you need. All done without breaking the bank!

Enjoy!

05-23-10 05:25 AM
    Who wants to constantly carry two devices around with them at all times?

OP, it comes down to preference and to me sounds like your leaning more towards Apple, just remember as many good things it has, it also has some bad things...like not being able to access your battery...and terrible battery life when doing few tasks and the phone quality isn't all that great...something with the phone, heard many people complain about..also remember the 4g is the 4th generation of iPhone, not 4g service, so keep that in mind.

It does have a lot of goods though...one of the better touch-screens and is easy to text on, awesome browser and all around multi-media functions and the app market is beyond huge...

With that said, with my 3rd party browser, I am not far off on browsing speed on my 9700, email is better, don't care what any apple/andriod fanboi says and battery life is 2nd to none compared to the rest...oh and my phone works like a champ...oh and real multi-tasking....that will get the apple fanboi's in an uproar, lol!

I like both phones, just hate/loathe Apple as a company and their many fanboi's that will defend their phone like it is blood line!

In the end, it is just a dam phone...

Really, go test drive both devices, then "you" the OP will best know what suites you...

05-23-10 06:45 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD