Hello, this is my first post. I was unsure where to post an introduction post, but this forum section is fitting.

I purchased my first droid in february and it worked great. It was my first smartphone and I was really impressed with it until the Android 2.1 OTA update came out. There are alot of issues concerning droids running the 2.1 update, there were too many bugs, force closing of apps, no responses from just about every app from gmail accounts to even the phone dialer.

2.1 was greatly hyped as we all know and as people wished for 6 or 7 home screens, we got the same 3. 2.1 gave the droid a fancy 3D gallery and some live wallpapers in the end which were far from impressive.

I had many issues with the OTA and the first phone from sync issues to freezing that I factory reset the first phone 3 times before it rendered itself useless. I went to the tech support in the store and made numerous calls to tech support.

VZW gave me a replacement phone in the mail that was 'like new condition'. I got that phone on may 7th and on the 8th, callers couldn't hear me. The phone hardware was flawed.

I then recieved the third phone 2 days ago and the phone would disconnect from any calls I dialed.

Last night, I took all 3 to VZW and refused another or a refurbished phone or new one priced at retail until they offered me a completely new phone with a battery. They suggested a Storm 2 and I took it to avoid the early termination fee, so I am a new BB user and so far so good with the phone. For the first time since May 7th, I can make a phone call and use apps without force closes and no responses.

If anyone here wants a car dock for the droid minus the base, contact me for a good deal. All of the chargers for the Droid work on the BB.

I really like this site and hope to post often here after I learn the ins and outs of the new phone.

I am not bashing the droid, it was a really great phone when it worked. I am seeing it's advantages right away using the BB, but this phone is a different animal and I am a first time BB user.

Sorry for the long post....great site here.
    05-21-10 10:30 AM
    have fun with the S2... it froze up on me during an emergency situation....
    05-21-10 12:23 PM
    2.1 has worked fine for me since it released. My Droid runs smooth, my apps don't force close, and I can care less about 3 home screens because there are ways around that.

I would have rather paid the ETF than pick up that pathetic excuse of a touchscreen. The Storm series is the ******** devices I have ever had the "pleasure" of using. Good luck with it.
    05-21-10 12:27 PM
    Sheesh this is his/her first smartphone experience. Take it easy on him/her.
    We all have our individual journey
    05-21-10 12:37 PM
    I said before in my first post, I am not against the phone, it was a good experience while it worked.

About deserving a phone? It's only a phone and anyone can buy any phone.

I couldn't get the phone to make a call from May 7 until yesturday, the replacement phones were not up to par. I was paying for a plan and service which I could not use, it was more an issue of dependablility and need to get a new phone than a want.

The people over on the droid forums are good people and helped alot. I did use the helix app for other screens and it would crash constantly, the phone was good for most, but I did not make this thread to denounce the phone, some issues could have also resulted from vzw service, who knows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Seriously?! this phone doesn't need you either! If you know what your doing and your willing to take some time to get to know it, you will see what we see. You will experience what we are experiencing at the moment, which is an extremely fast and capable phone. Clearly you don't deserve this phone. **cough.... Yawn**"

It's a phone, don't take the thing too seriously, after 3 months of using the phone and going through 4 droids, I can say I spent time with it. Maybe in the future, android devices will be able to work more efficiently, but after awhile I saw more and more apps made to cover up problem areas in the phone which made one think of reliability.

Sorry if I upset the android fans on a BB forum lol, I should have seen the eccentric posts comming.

I posted about this on the droid forums and didn't get a crazy response like the one above lol.

So far I like the phone, I like it for the email capabilities which were most important to me, I could not get the droid to sync to my outlook acct for a few weeks without bugs, force closes and etc.

If one reads droid foums, they will see that I am not alone. Maybe in the future I will get another android device. The droid also was more of a toy for me anyway, I used it as an mp3 player etc because I have a netbook that I use heavilly which has no problem replacing any void the phone left behind.
    05-21-10 12:43 PM
    Calm guys.
    maybe he got bad handset.
    I think it is important for the seller to check the handset (maybe refurbish) to work correctly before handover it to the end user.
    This will make user happy
    05-21-10 01:19 PM
    The android users here seem to be immersed in their products, To the poster above calling B.S., does it really matter what you think of my experience?

Enjoy the android experience, in time it will be a big player, we each have our own reasons for what we do. To take this any farther will just be silly and immature.

A netbook with android in the future will be a killer product, there is good chance that within a year or two, android will become the main player with apple and kinks and bugs may be no more. It's innovative, fresh and new....let's see what happens.
    05-21-10 01:29 PM
    since you don't have a droid anymore, and you never came here to ask for help while having issues, this is a rather ominous introductory post.

in any case, this is the crackberry website and there's a great storm2 section you can go to for better guidance on that phone.

good luck.

ps - if you were looking to sell your left over droid wares there is a market place you can post in.
    05-21-10 02:35 PM
    I know that, thanks.

I made this thread to post about my droid experience, and with 3 or 4 main droid forums and numerous tech support calls and 5 visits to the vzw, no....visiting a blackberry forum for droid help never occured to me.

A vzw employee told me the store in NJ sends out 5 to 6 replacement droids per 10 cases, to post proof of these issues here would prove fruitless, as the fanboys here have made up their minds like fanboys of any other product for that matter that their devices are superior to everything else....that is until 6 months from now, some other android device comes out and trumps the current one.

This type of behavior has become humorous with the revolution of the smartphone and it's various OS's which makes for interesting reads.
    05-21-10 03:05 PM
    ok... but that still doesn't make much sense. you bought a droid, returned it, got a bb, then you went to a bb forum to post your introductory thread in the android subforum. does that sound a little odd to you? wouldn't it be more relative to your current situation to post your introductory thread in the section for the phone you currently have? i'm not being a forum nazi, just pointing out that your logic doesn't really seem logical. lol

and now you're following up your introductory post by providing some sort of "proof" from a mysterious vzw employee that some droids have issues...like any other phone does. it's just the other side of the coin from the behavior you're blaming the 'fanboys' of don't you think?

in any case, welcome to the forum. there's a wealth of information here for first time bb users. and since you have a storm2 you have a bunch of hybrids to go learn about. enjoy your blackberry.
    05-21-10 03:37 PM
    The android users here seem to be immersed in their products, To the poster above calling B.S., does it really matter what you think of my experience?

Enjoy the android experience, in time it will be a big player, we each have our own reasons for what we do. To take this any farther will just be silly and immature.

A netbook with android in the future will be a killer product, there is good chance that within a year or two, android will become the main player with apple and kinks and bugs may be no more. It's innovative, fresh and new....let's see what happens.
    Heres the thing, if your phone stops making phone calls, dont you think you should take it in immediately? Thats why its B.S nobody in the right mind would just sit with a 200+ dollar paperweight for 2 weeks. If your car (while under warranty) just stopped starting wouldnt u have it looked at right away?
    05-21-10 06:45 PM
    Hubby Just switched to a Droid from a Blackberry Curve & he totally LOVES it! He's much happier with it than he was with the Blackberry. I played with it a Little, It seemed WAY complicated, But,there are things that He can do on his phone.. that I cant do on my Blackberry. He got the bogo offer, and Gave the other one to my daughter for her 16th Birthday. she is IN LOVE with her phone. I Love my Blackberry!! but, I think that if i played with the Droid More It might grow on me.... I am UP for a New Phone in Sept, so i was toying with the idea of trying a droid phone, but, i dont want to get stuck with something i dont like, and I really Dont like what Sprint has to offer by the way of Droid Phones... Who knows.... I will Probably Stay with Blackberry.... I like the 8530 (which is the One i will be upgrading to if i dont go droid)
    05-21-10 07:12 PM
    Most of us were once immersed in our Blackberries as well. Welcome and enjoy your Storm, but I think most of us here in the Android section have bad memories of our former devices.
    05-21-10 08:54 PM
    Most of us were once immersed in our Blackberries as well. Welcome and enjoy your Storm, but I think most of us here in the Android section have bad memories of our former devices.
    +1

Had an emergency situation. Family member called me because she just been in a car accident. She's understandably freaking out. While on the call I try to look into my contacts to get a phone number and some other info and i get the hour glass. Then she cant hear me but I can hear her and my phone is not responding. After she hangs up and giving it a min or so to finishing thinking, I just do a batt pull. After 5 mins or so for it to boot, I try to call her back. Mr Hour Glass shows up again. As a Storm 1 owner, I'm used to see that f'n hour glass but that situation was the last straw. I'm VERY anxiously awaiting the switch to Android.
    Last edited by 4JackNapier; 05-21-10 at 09:19 PM.
    05-21-10 09:02 PM
    Researching it for our business ..it's the exchange email that keeps me from bringing in Droid. If they could get that email issue fixed it would be hard to stay with BB.
    05-21-10 09:10 PM
    OP is having second thoughts yes? Why else would you re visit the topic by shouting it back off the rooftop? OP, no worries, we care less that your 2.1 experience is unusual, because you found your solution, good job yes? 2.1 has been well for the rest of us if you decide the BB is to slow. Good luck on finding a smart phone that fits you. Allot of people put up with the hassle of the BB because it is a reliable hassle, LOL. Battery pulls no memory stability and an internet that is sloooooooooowwwwwww. We will welcome you back, but bid you farewell!
    05-21-10 10:22 PM
    since you don't have a droid anymore, and you never came here to ask for help while having issues, this is a rather ominous introductory post.

in any case, this is the crackberry website and there's a great storm2 section you can go to for better guidance on that phone.

good luck.

ps - if you were looking to sell your left over droid wares there is a market place you can post in.
    I plus one this intellectual response.
    05-21-10 10:38 PM
    About the 2 weeks with no calls, I had phone 2 and sent it back for phone 3. During that time, I was away for a week and came back to find fedex didn't have the correct address, that is why for 13 days I had no phone except the GF's which was okay.

I did not mean for this to turn into a fiasco of sorts, but it happens on forums.

I am not here to take a stance against the droid or android, I'm just talking about my own personal experience.

For emails and messaging, the BB has been great so far, the browser definately makes me want the droid back, but I have other ways to search the web on larger screens via laptop and netbook.

I liked the options and apps of the droid, but after many issues and visits/calls to vzw, it got tiring and aggravating.

I don't need to be bid farewell, I guess i don't take these things as seriously as others, but getting a free blackberry instead of a 'certified' phone made by ???? is better than a $310 fee.

They made me a deal between the storm 2 and an LG Envy, I took the BB.

Cheers!
    05-21-10 11:00 PM
    I'm just going to put this out there - when you were using your Droid, did you always load it with a couple free apps from the Marketplace, or go bone stock? Because you mentioned using Helix, and I'm going to guess you were also using an app killer. I've never had good luck with Helix, and the app killer (if applicable) has caused many people problems in the past. So, user error perhaps?

I'm not a fanboy, goodness knows I don't message in here often anymore (damn that thing called a life!), but 3, 4 phones all going bad? Something smells fishy, and it isn't my girlfriend this time.

Either way, enjoy the S2! I hear the forums are constantly buzzing for that phone. Don't worry, webkit browser will come this Summer? Fall? Winter? next Summer.
    05-21-10 11:46 PM
    Cdaiscool- Thanks for the reply. I used helix launcher 1 and 2 and had no luck with them for any long periods of time. I found out the first one ran better on droid and I only wanted 5 screens, any more screens with widgets would eat the battery life more.

I used a task killer ofr a bit when I got the phone and then got rid of it. I had alot of the free popular apps on it like Where, maps, news, etc and after awhile, they would force close but all the issues arose after the 2.1 ota, There are many people who had the same issue.

Thr first phone was buggy after 2.1 and I reset it three times.

The second phone did not let anyone or message greeting hear me, even leaving messages was hit or miss. VZW said it was defective. The Android worked well on the phone so while on vacation, I text and emailed people. This started 2 days after I got it but I was leaving for vacation so I used it for other stuff than voice.

I got the 3rd phone early this week and it worked well until I got any call and it would disconnect abruptly, I brought it to the store and they witnessed it and then I started to argue with them about me having to buy a used phone until they came up with this compromise, a BB is better than an LG envy touch for data any day.

I like the BB so far mainly because of reliability and all my messaging needs. The browser needs some help, the lack of app space is bothersome with no SD card space used for them, I do miss the google nav, but the music player and photos look good from the droid.

VZW switched all my contacts and pics and it was relatively quick. As you can tell, I am not a fanboy of any platform really, but I loathe apple and the walls which it lives in, so if I did walk to AT&T, I would have gotten a BB 9700 as they do not have the larger selection of android as VZW mainly because of the iphone.

I'm going away for a few days, so I'll see what the battery power of the BB with maps and music is like, since the chargers to both phones are micro usb, the droid chargers all work with the BB.

I ordered the car dock from here along with an app or two and a few themes. When I get the otterbox case, I think I'll be done for awhile. I used to try out new apps often with the droid, but now I'm about stability and crazy email numbers.
    05-22-10 12:54 AM
    @ OP. Nevermind some of these posters. Some of them thinks that the smartphone world starts and ends with Android. They can become very defensive about their devices...kinda like us BB users lol. I hope the Storm 2 works for you. I know how it feels to have to return a device several times. I had a Palm Pre for a week and exchanged it five times in seven days. Different issues with each one. And I have been using smartphones for years! So it can happen to anyone. I would suggest visiting the Storm forums. You will find some useful information there. There aren't any perfect phones out there and you will eventually come across some that just won't work properly. The forums will be able to get you through most of your issues. Incidentally, its probably not a good idea to go into a sub forum and post why you don't like your device and now that you have switched to something else you are completely happy. That only incites rage. Trust me, it happens on the BlackBerry side daily. Congrats on the new device and welcome to CB!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 02:34 AM
    @ OP. Nevermind some of these posters. Some of them thinks that the smartphone world starts and ends with Android. They can become very defensive about their devices...kinda like us BB users lol. I hope the Storm 2 works for you. I know how it feels to have to return a device several times. I had a Palm Pre for a week and exchanged it five times in seven days. Different issues with each one. And I have been using smartphones for years! So it can happen to anyone. I would suggest visiting the Storm forums. You will find some useful information there. There aren't any perfect phones out there and you will eventually come across some that just won't work properly. The forums will be able to get you through most of your issues. Incidentally, its probably not a good idea to go into a sub forum and post why you don't like your device and now that you have switched to something else you are completely happy. That only incites rage. Trust me, it happens on the BlackBerry side daily. Congrats on the new device and welcome to CB!

Second what he said. Ignore the rants. Enjoy your s2. It does have its quirks. All technology does. You already know that. Hope your BB experience is much more enjoyable for you over your android experience. And, welcome to cb.

05-22-10 05:05 AM
    Sheesh this is his/her first smartphone experience. Take it easy on him/her.
    We all have our individual journey
    Yah seriously. You people have no idea what a person's been through. Could be he just had one very unfortunate set of experiences. It does happen you know. People get on these boards and absolutely everything works right when they get their new phone while others get the same exact phone and nothing ever works right. Happens so get off the person's back already. Much as I like my android phone, Blackberry's are fine too and even work better for some people. Just so depends on your needs and what's important to you.
    05-22-10 07:22 AM
    After owning both the S2 and Droid I am straight calling B.S on you not being able to make a phone call for almost 2 weeks. Have fun with the out of date BB OS and web browser. Have fun with daily battery pulls. Have fun with lag as soon as you put more than 3 apps on the phone. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to a BB.
    No doubt.
    Just bought the Incredible minutes ago.
    I've been frustrated with the Storm since it came out.
    Forget them.
    Blackberry needs to update their OS quickly.
    The world is passing them by.
    05-22-10 10:50 AM
    Wow... y'all are rough... LOL.
    05-22-10 11:13 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD