I miss my 9700. Best berry ever made. Sleek, light incredible battery life...ATT phone qual stunk or i would not have gone back to VZW.

That said, the new tour w trackpad is not even close to a 9700. I am a fan of all berries but this marketing ploy annoys me for some reason.

I wish i had my 9700 back and could use it on VZW.

Just seems after having an 8310, 8330, 8900 9000 9700 and now an S2 that GMS berries work so much better minus att crappy phone call service and voice quality.

Sorry for the rant, just wish cdma berries were as good and did i mention i miss my 9700
    05-21-10 07:59 AM
    Wait... do you have a 9650 or a 9550?
    05-21-10 08:20 AM
    I love this phone!! I just switched from a Palm Pre.
    05-21-10 08:29 AM
    They could call it a 'Ninja Star Danger Jock' for all anyone cares. Bold is just a line name. It's not defined by anything. I could easily sit here and say the 9000 was not a Bold by comparison to the 9700 / 9650 form factor. Does that make it less of a smartphone?

No. So please, please, PLEASE, tell every other moron that complains about the name to - and let me make this painfully blatant - GET A LIFE
    05-21-10 08:37 AM
    You realize this makes about as much sense as saying the Xbox 360 isn't a real Xbox because the controllers dont have that big fake button in the middle.
    05-21-10 08:43 AM
    And who the heck is charlie?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 08:51 AM
    I'm a 9700 owner having switched to the 9650 (because I had to ditch T-Mo... data speeds way too slow)... anyways...

The 9700 has better port location (USB, 3.5mm earphone jack) and is slightly smaller in width and height, and I noticed that. The back on the 9700 felt REALLY good... but the new 9650 back (compared to the very cheap feeling 9630) isn't bad... and actually I kind like it... the rubberized finish feels nice... I might even grow to like it more than 9700...

The battery and how it releases on the 9700 is better, but the SD card access is more robust on the 9650 (under battery... making running Apps from SD a possible future option???... A2SD apparently requires an SD card to be beneath a battery for it to comply with the standard... so it would make sense)

I will say, the keys and feel on the 9700 felt a tiny bit better, but they are so close, it's a wash to me really... BUT I will say I like the slight side-to-side curvature of the 9650's keyboard... 9700 was more flat... Makes the 9650 easier to type on... subtle but quite noticeable the more I type on it...

cheers
    05-21-10 08:57 AM
    I don't see how you folks who're already rockin' various berries would be surprised with this new release. Personally, It matters not to me what it's called. I was thinking of the tour(coming from winmo), but I do use wifi on occassion and the more RAM and track pad is the main reason I waited. That and some other little issues I've heard re: the tour on various forums. , all phones have some issues anyway, right?
    After trying every form factor out there over the years the "berry bar" form is what I prefer. It's the reason I have an "ozone". Dislike touch screens.
    I guess my point is, there should have been little surprise here as far as what this comes with. So why all the shock and pissed off remarks? I suggest maybe doing your homework next time and "look before you leap" maybe. just sayin'... I'll be waiting for V's release. My $.02
    Last edited by cbreze; 05-21-10 at 09:39 AM.
    05-21-10 09:01 AM
    They could call it a 'Ninja Star Danger Jock' for all anyone cares.
    I might buy one if that was the new name!
    05-21-10 09:55 AM
    The 9700 has better port location (USB, 3.5mm earphone jack) and is slightly smaller in width and height, and I noticed that. The back on the 9700 felt REALLY good... but the new 9650 back (compared to the very cheap feeling 9630) isn't bad... and actually I kind like it... the rubberized finish feels nice... I might even grow to like it more than 9700...

I will say, the keys and feel on the 9700 felt a tiny bit better, but they are so close, it's a wash to me really... BUT I will say I like the slight side-to-side curvature of the 9650's keyboard... 9700 was more flat... Makes the 9650 easier to type on... subtle but quite noticeable the more I type on it...
    I knew you would eventually come to see the light...
    Agree with the port locations on the 9700 as well as better battery, otherwise the 9650 looks to be a winner, but I have not owned either. Tried out a friends 9650 last night for a bit and I liked it better than 9700 loaned from another friend.
    05-21-10 10:04 AM
    The funny thing is OP doesn't have the 9650 yet, he has the storm, so how do you know if you like it or not?
    05-21-10 10:04 AM
    They could call it a 'Ninja Star Danger Jock' for all anyone cares. Bold is just a line name. It's not defined by anything. I could easily sit here and say the 9000 was not a Bold by comparison to the 9700 / 9650 form factor. Does that make it less of a smartphone?

No. So please, please, PLEASE, tell every other moron that complains about the name to - and let me make this painfully blatant - GET A LIFE
    WEll thats doesn't make sense the Bold 9000 came out first the 9700 was meant to improve on its older sibling DUH!!!! . The 9000 was Bold for its set time period.
    05-21-10 10:05 AM
    I knew you would eventually come to see the light...
    Agree with the port locations on the 9700 as well as better battery, otherwise the 9650 looks to be a winner, but I have not owned either. Tried out a friends 9650 last night for a bit and I liked it better than 9700 loaned from another friend.
    Keep mind I only switched because I just could no longer bear the abysmally slow data speeds with T-Mo, especially while tethering!

I'm liking the 9650 more and more... 9700 what?

The heft at first put me off... but actually, i'm liking it now... solid feeling... and the side bezel is more solid on the 9650 (on the 9700 - while it looks a bit nicer IMO... the 9650 bezel is better overall as it's beefier and hence stiffer)

the keyboard curvature is actually turning out to really be awesome... opens up the keys so to speak... although exact same size keys as the 9700... the 9650 feels like it has more space while typing... weird I know... but gotta be felt to really understand...

The headphone jack - while location sucks - is positively better than the 9700... never really got a good 'click' when plugging in headphones on my 9700... on the 9650... it's a solid 'click' and headphone cable is more 'locked in'...

PS - data speed wise (regardless of whether the 9650 has slower processor than the 9700 or not), just blows my T-Mo 9700 out of the water... tethered last night with the 9650... and easily getting 700 kbps... with the 9700 on T-Mo... struggled to get 300kbps....

So far... 9650 is a winner!
    Last edited by mi_canuck; 05-21-10 at 10:28 AM.
    05-21-10 10:23 AM
    WEll thats doesn't make sense the Bold 9000 came out first the 9700 was meant to improve on its older sibling DUH!!!! . The 9000 was Bold for its set time period.
    Wow. Way to completely miss my entire point.

I was saying that the name doesn't define the device. They could've called the 9550 a Bold if they wanted to. The 9000 is just as much of a Bold as the 9700 is, as the 9650 is. People saying the 9650 isn't a Bold would be like someone saying the 9000 wasn't a Bold. Clearly though, my wording was a little too complex for the average iPhone user.

Your device is still a BlackBerry and / or a smartphone, despite whatever the h*ll you want to call it. DUH!!!!
    05-21-10 10:30 AM
    at the end of the day... one word sums up why the 9650 has the advantage... ok, not a word but a number... 512
    05-21-10 10:32 AM
    Wow. Way to completely miss my entire point.

I was saying that the name doesn't define the device. They could've called the 9550 a Bold if they wanted to. The 9000 is just as much of a Bold as the 9700 is, as the 9650 is. People saying the 9650 isn't a Bold would be like someone saying the 9000 wasn't a Bold. Clearly though, my wording was a little too complex for the average iPhone user.

Your device is still a BlackBerry and / or a smartphone, despite whatever the h*ll you want to call it. DUH!!!!
    Lets look at the appearence which the average person like yourself failed to see. The Bold 9000 was Bold also because of its appearence. Now lets look at the 9650 hmmm weird how it also doesn't meet the qualifications their either. At least the 9700 was faster and had an outstanding battery (where again the 9650 lacks). More app memory though is i guess really BOLD these days huh Glitch especially when the apps on the blackberry platform are SO OUTSTANDING

Oh and by the way i use a Blackberry 9700, and Droid Incredible not an iPhone. I will be getting that new one though.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 05-21-10 at 10:39 AM.
    05-21-10 10:37 AM
    WTF are you guys arguing semantics for???????? Bold, Tour.... Who the F cares???????? They could call it D!LD0 for all it really matters!!!

It's 8530, 9000, 9630, 9700, 9650, 9800, 9100, etc. etc. etc.... names are stupid and pointless anyways... they say nothing about the device... this all started with the friggin "Curve" to appease all the tweeners and soccer moms....

Get the F over the name already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-21-10 10:42 AM
    WTF are you guys arguing semantics for???????? Bold, Tour.... Who the F cares???????? They could call it D!LD0 for all it really matters!!!

It's 8530, 9000, 9630, 9700, 9650, 9800, 9100, etc. etc. etc.... names are stupid and pointless anyways... they say nothing about the device... this all started with the friggin "Curve" to appease all the tweeners and soccer moms....

Get the F over the name already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So the Bold doesn't explain the Bold 9000? I'm just asking not really starting an argument with you
    05-21-10 10:46 AM
    Lets look at the appearence which the average person like yourself failed to see. The Bold 9000 was Bold also because of its appearence.
    Your spelling never ceases to amaze. Just when I think you're scraping the bottom of the 3rd grade level..

Regardless, if you look at the 9700 and the 9000, there is very little similarity outside of the keyboard. I will make this even more clear for you;

I am aware that the 9000 was a Bold. I never said it WASN'T. I said calling the 9650 NOT a Bold (even though clearly the giant BOLD printed on it proves that is indeed, a Bold) is stupid, because it is a BRANDED BOLD.

You're not only trying to argue the smallest semantics, (over your lack of any kind of pertinent reading ability, apparently) and creating a fight over something that wasn't even said.

Now lets look at the 9650 hmmm weird how it also doesn't meet the qualifications their either. At least the 9700 was faster and had an outstanding battery (where again the 9650 lacks).
    I don't even know what your point is here. What qualifications? There's no qualification for a line name. I could take a coffee cup, write BOLD on it, and call it a Bold, too. Does that mean it just has to be bulky and have below average battery life and memory to be a 'qualified Bold'?

More app memory though is i guess really BOLD these days huh Glitch especially when the apps on the blackberry platform are SO OUTSTANDING
    Again, I fail to see your point. I have a 9550 with 108mb free, which is more than enough app memory for me, as I don't have Apple's 100mb+ bloatware filling up my phone. I also never made any kind of claim that the BlackBerry platforms applications are better than any others. I don't know if you're intentionally trying to goad me (a troll), trying to put words into my mouth (just plain stupid), or literally have some kind of literary deficit in your brain.

Oh and by the way i use a Blackberry 9700, and Droid Incredible not an iPhone. I will be getting that new one though.
    Congratulations? I just went on the assumption since you use your "device" area in your profile for such great uses, and since you pretty much live on Steve Jobs' taint, the natural assumption would be you still slept next to your iPhone.
    05-21-10 10:56 AM
    What I find funny about all the negative, anti-"Bold" comments is that the complainants do not own the 9650 and some do not own any of the other "Bold" models. How can any one truly make a statement about quality or how something measures up until they've actually experienced it? And top that off with, why would they want/need to since they have no vested interest in either phone model? It's just silly.
    05-21-10 11:44 AM
    Your spelling never ceases to amaze. Just when I think you're scraping the bottom of the 3rd grade level..

Regardless, if you look at the 9700 and the 9000, there is very little similarity outside of the keyboard. I will make this even more clear for you;

I am aware that the 9000 was a Bold. I never said it WASN'T. I said calling the 9650 NOT a Bold (even though clearly the giant BOLD printed on it proves that is indeed, a Bold) is stupid, because it is a BRANDED BOLD.

You're not only trying to argue the smallest semantics, (over your lack of any kind of pertinent reading ability, apparently) and creating a fight over something that wasn't even said.

I don't even know what your point is here. What qualifications? There's no qualification for a line name. I could take a coffee cup, write BOLD on it, and call it a Bold, too. Does that mean it just has to be bulky and have below average battery life and memory to be a 'qualified Bold'?

Again, I fail to see your point. I have a 9550 with 108mb free, which is more than enough app memory for me, as I don't have Apple's 100mb+ bloatware filling up my phone. I also never made any kind of claim that the BlackBerry platforms applications are better than any others. I don't know if you're intentionally trying to goad me (a troll), trying to put words into my mouth (just plain stupid), or literally have some kind of literary deficit in your brain.

Congratulations? I just went on the assumption since you use your "device" area in your profile for such great uses, and since you pretty much live on Steve Jobs' taint, the natural assumption would be you still slept next to your iPhone.
    Jesus Glitch do you have a job who has this much time on their hands and yea stop assuming what you don't know its not a good look for you Man I love getting fanboys blood pumping
    05-21-10 12:29 PM
    What I find funny about all the negative, anti-"Bold" comments is that the complainants do not own the 9650 and some do not own any of the other "Bold" models. How can any one truly make a statement about quality or how something measures up until they've actually experienced it? And top that off with, why would they want/need to since they have no vested interest in either phone model? It's just silly.
    I can see why they call it Bold. You place a 9700 and 9650 side by side and most people would say there is a resemblance even though the cognoscenti would pick it apart. The 9650 is certainly closer to the 9700 than the 9630. There are not that many people (compared to the number of people who would ultimately buy the device) IMO, that would really know what's on the inside of a 9630 vs 9650.
    05-21-10 12:32 PM
    Jesus Glitch do you have a job who has this much time on their hands and yea stop assuming what you don't know its not a good look for you Man I love getting fanboys blood pumping
    Hey, you've posted here more than me. Trust me, you're the king of assumptions, so I'll leave it to you.

I also seriously fail to see how I'm a fanboy, but alright. Strike that in your imaginary win column, buddy.
    05-21-10 01:38 PM
    Histerical! Arguing on the internet? I thought our species had grown past this... 9650 v 9700 = Transformers v Go-Bots...

Here's what I'm going to do... I will read the specifications, features, and "real" forum entries then decide on the phone I'd like to own.

Though, these posts are great, gives me an idea of who's reviews to ignore, and they make me smile. That's why I continue to read them!

Keep up the good work everyone!
    05-21-10 04:00 PM
    the keyboard curvature is actually turning out to really be awesome... opens up the keys so to speak... although exact same size keys as the 9700... the 9650 feels like it has more space while typing... weird I know... but gotta be felt to really understand...

So far... 9650 is a winner!
    Interesting - I thought the 9700 keyboard was actually much better than the 9630... Thought 9650 would be the same as Tour. Cool if its improved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 05:04 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD