Welcome, new 9650 Owners!
    This guide is based on other devices. If the 9650 differs in any way, please let me know!

With all of the changes to the Lock / Unlock / Password Lock / Standby functions, here's an explanation of what's up with how to lock your BB now.
    (Originally posted this in the 9700 Forum, but thought it might be helpful to post here too.)

� Top Right Button does NOT put BB into Standby
    � Top Right Button is now only Mute for Phone and media players
    � Pressing * + SEND no longer does anything
    � User info only appears on screen if Password Locked (booo, RIM!)

WITHOUT a Password set, Lock your BB by:
    � Holding down A from Homescreen
    � Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    � Placing BB in stock holster with magnet
    WITHOUT a Password set, Unlock your BB by:
    � Clicking Top Left Button
    � Removing from stock holster

WITH a Password Set, initiate Password Lock by:
    � Clicking Password Lock icon (icon is only visible if Password Enabled in Options app)
    � If Homescreen Dialing is off, clicking K from Homescreen
    � Pressing ALT + ENTER from Homescreen
    � Letting your Backlight Timeout and dim to black
    � If you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to Yes, placing into stock holster
    WITH a Password Set, Unlock your BB by:
    � Entering your password!

WITH a Password Set, initiate a NON-Password Lock by:
    � Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    � If you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No, placing into stock holster
    WITH a Password set, Unlock your BB from NON-Password Lock by:
    � Removing from stock holster, if you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No

If I've made an error or omitted anything, I'll edit this post. So let me know!
    There may also be some minor exceptions/variations between some of the newer builds and/or devices, so let me know and I can get more specific.

If you found this helpful, please add a post so it stays active and useful!
    05-19-10 09:28 PM
    It might be helpful to note that locking the device also puts it into standby mode. For those used to using standby for the battery saving feature it's not gone, and for those just locking they are also saving battery
    05-19-10 10:00 PM
    Is there a lock button on the home screen? Like we USED to have on 4.7 OS
    05-19-10 11:19 PM
    Button, as in an icon?
    As per my list up there, there is only an icon if you have a password set. Sorry!

Isn't pushing the top left button easier than getting to your app screen and navigating to an icon?
    I know, I know, we've all got our habits!

Plus from the Home Screen, you can always hold down the A key for a couple seconds or so until your BB locks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-10 02:31 AM
    With password set will pushing the top left button put it into standby mode as well as locking the key board yet not lock the device? I note that after pushing it the keyboard locks and screen goes dark but it comes back on a second push w/out asking for my password. Hence I do not know whether it has gone into standby mode.
    Thanks.
    B B

05-20-10 05:10 AM
    With password set will pushing the top left button put it into standby mode as well as locking the key board yet not lock the device? I note that after pushing it the keyboard locks and screen goes dark but it comes back on a second push w/out asking for my password. Hence I do not know whether it has gone into standby mode.
    Hi B B, here's the relevant section from my OP:
    WITH a Password Set, initiate a NON-Password Lock by:
    Clicking Top Left Button from any screen
    � If you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No, placing into stock holster
    WITH a Password set, Unlock your BB from NON-Password Lock by:
    � Removing from stock holster, if you have set Lock Handheld Upon Holstering to No
    As far as I know, the device is in a Standby mode when locked, regardless of whether or not it is specifically Password Locked.
    05-20-10 02:04 PM
    Wow, who gave this thread a 1-star rating out of 5?

The rating shouldn't be on whether or not you like the new Lock system, but whether this thread was accurate and/or useful.

If there is anything incorrect or missing, please let me know ASAP so I can edit the 1st post with the correct information.

Thanks,
    elite1
    05-20-10 05:14 PM
    Hi B B, here's the relevant section from my OP:

As far as I know, the device is in a Standby mode when locked, regardless of whether or not it is specifically Password Locked.
    Thanks e1. I too *think* it is in Standby when top locked but it is kind of like knowing whether the light in the refrigerator turns off when the door is closed. I have not seen it written out officially for the word locked is used to mean either keyboard or password but standby is a different matter. In the older OS the mute button used to give an entering standby message. So does the light go out??
    B B

05-21-10 05:30 AM
    The lock/unlock button on the top of the phone is very inconvenient, particularly if you use a case.

On my previous BB, I could use assign "keyboard lock" to one of the side convenience keys, but that option does not seem to be available on the 9650.

Also, the manual says that you can unlock the keyboard by pressing "*" and then the "phone button", but that doesn't seem to work either.

Any tips on other shortcuts to lock/unlock the keyboard?
    06-24-10 02:32 PM
    Hold * it will lock and put standby on.

Hit the top button to unlock...
    06-24-10 02:40 PM
    Yes, *+SEND does nothing now.

If you have a Password set & enabled, Password Lock should appear in your list to assign to a Convenience Key.
    Without a password set you're out of luck, as the previous Keyboard Lock does not exist anymore by itself.

Many cases in the $20-30 range have openings on the top for hitting the top buttons. Look at Seidio, Incipio, Case-Mate, etc.
    You might need a little patience as some haven't released 9650 models yet. I use the Seidio Innocase II on my 9700, but it's still coming soon for 9650.

06-24-10 04:27 PM
    Hold * it will lock and put standby on.

Hit the top button to unlock...
    So only 2 or 3 Stickies in this Forum� This thread might make a good Sticky to add for all the new 9650 owners� hint, hint, double-hint�

06-24-10 04:30 PM
    Saved my fanny. Don't expect a straight answer like this in the user manual!
    07-11-10 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD