Hey i have an issue

I enabled encryption on my device & media card via "password"
    Now when I load media sync, i see pictures, but none of the .rem encrypted ones show up.
    I thought the whole point of media sync was it can show all the pictures taken???
    I can see them in my phone but not in media sync.
    What am I missing?
    05-19-10 04:49 PM
    Hey i have an issue

I enabled encryption on my device & media card via "password"
    Now when I load media sync, i see pictures, but none of the .rem encrypted ones show up.
    I thought the whole point of media sync was it can show all the pictures taken???
    I can see them in my phone but not in media sync.
    What am I missing?
    I am not sure of the exact salt/encryption method, but, encrypted files on your BB are encrypted based on your device, they can ONLY be viewed on the device that encrypted them. If you email/mms them to someone they will be decrypted before being sent, but thats the only way around this that I know of.
    05-19-10 05:13 PM
    05-19-10 05:14 PM
    im downloading the new desktop manager which should include the new media manager which will hopefully be able to read the encrypted images...

read somewhere that it doesnt, and that only the old desktop manager/mediamanager does it, can't find a download link for that though!

will post back here!

PS: whats the difference between turning encryption ON for media card, but "include files" off?
    Does encrypt the media card secure the files ? or do you need to include media files on
    Last edited by fatjoez; 05-19-10 at 05:34 PM.
    05-19-10 05:31 PM
    Couldn't install media manager Roxio, probably useless anyway.

Does Media Sync support encrypted files?
    Any alternatives other than emailing the photos to myself...
    05-19-10 05:51 PM
    Would turning encryption off, then viewing the mediacard via Windows mass storage mode & renaming .rem to just .jpg work?
    05-19-10 06:03 PM
    Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I am experiencing a similar one and was wondering if there's any update on this. I've got the BB Desktop Software 6 and I still can't download the files.

Thanks!
    10-07-10 08:31 AM
    Lesson learned, don't encrypt your files on the SD card, unless you want them rendered useless should the phone require wiping, the key to decrypt is lost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 08:36 AM
    Lesson learned, don't encrypt your files on the SD card, unless you want them rendered useless should the phone require wiping, the key to decrypt is lost.
    sorry to dig this old topic up.
    i don't see the link between wipe, losing an encryption key, and not being able to access your media files.

firstly, i thought the thread starter only chose "device password" and not "device key" as security method. and secondly, after the wipe, after all, anything will be gone.

anyway i found a solution for the problem. turns out you need an old DM5-version with roxio media manager to sync encrypted media files. since imo there is no roxio-edition of DM6, i hope rim will release a proper version of the new DM that is also able to handle encrypted files.

---- btw ----

does anyone now if media sync also supports wirelss syncing of your pics and vids (along the lines of wifi music sync, that is).

cheers
    01-27-11 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD