I'm about to switch over to the 8530 and I was just wondering how long you can keep sms/mms texts in your inbox until it becomes "full" and no longer accepts incoming texts (or if that even happens). I had a voyager way before my BBs and I remember when my texts would start getting around 100, it would prompt me with a message saying "Inbox is 80% full. Delete messages..." And I don't know how this works for the bb. And because of the 5.0 threaded sms software, I'll feel prompted to keep the texts longer instead of deleting them every night because it'll be threaded, not messy...

My other question is, (obviously I haven't used my 8530 yet), When you get a text, does that thread move to the top of the inbox or do you have to scroll through and look through all of the people in your inbox to see which one is new? How is the set-up/how does it work.

Thank you so much, guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-10 05:37 PM
    you can set them sms to keep forever
    05-18-10 05:40 PM
    I know I can set them up to keep them forever, but when I text heavily, will it drag my memory down if I don't delete? Or like �my "dumb" phone, will it prompt me to delete it/no longer accept incoming texts when it gets too full. Is there a point when it gets "too" full. (With sms texts only.)

05-18-10 05:46 PM
    never had that problem with any of my bbs so i really dont know
    05-18-10 05:48 PM
    Okay, thank you!

Anyone else have any ideas to both of my questions? Thank you!

05-18-10 05:51 PM
    Actually the question should be how fast do you want your BBerry to be and how much memory would you consider enough......LOL
    05-18-10 05:52 PM
    Okay. Haha. So it'll keep an unlimited amount of texts, but if it gets overwhelming, it'll get slow and the memory will drop.
    Gotcha.

What about the newer texts? Do those threads come to the top of the inbox or will I have to search for them?

Thank you Rayporsche.

05-18-10 05:54 PM
    Top..................
    05-18-10 05:56 PM
    Okay... See, I'm new at this OS 5 deal. Thanks for both of your guys' help.

05-18-10 05:57 PM
    It'll be more or less what you experience now. The main difference being you can choose to have your sms conversation threaded. (you'll see... you'll like it.)
    05-18-10 06:01 PM
    Yeah, but right now, I delete my texts every single night because it's messy and just too much, but I think I'll end up keeping my texts so much longer since they'll be threaded. Thanks Billmanvl, for putting it in better perspective.

05-18-10 06:12 PM
    When I had my 8330 I would set it to delete messages after 15 days, any more then that and the device would noticeably slow down. As your experiencing now I am sure. That and because I had 5.0 there wasn't a lot of extra memory...

With the 9550 and now 8530, I have set up to never delete anything and haven't had any noticeable slow down. But, I don't text a lot - around 1500 texts [which only take up 600kb, nothing when there is 90mb+ of free space] over 2 months, a couple of lengthly BBM conversations and dozens of emails and around 10 apps that I use regularly.

Also I think it should be noted that if you get an 8530, it will have 5.0 and you won't have to option to have the older SMS inbox system - it will always be threaded. Which IMO is so much cleaner and nicer then the older SMS system pre-5.0.

And that on a BB [which it looks like you have an 8330 already?], you won't get a prompt when your low on memory/space. Instead the device will go around and delete older items and you'll see the hourglass/clock more often, that will be your sign that memory is getting low. But even with a high volume of texting and over a dozen apps I feel like it would be difficult to fill up all of that 110mb's that will be open to an 8530 user.
    05-18-10 07:35 PM
    Rynbeed-- you're awesome! Thanks so much. That was a perfect explanation! Awesome. Thank you!

05-18-10 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD