Hiya,

I have finally been plagued by the grey wifi icon... i have done numerous searches and through my searches and speaking to tech support this is what i have tried.

.593 os.
    - send service books.
    - restart router.
    - tried completely different location with different router and internet connection.
    - re-register on network via host routing tables.
    - tried eng menu wifi search mode.

- wiped handheld completely.
    - installed official carrier os no go.
    - installed latest official release still no go.
    - sim card change.
    - removed security from wireless router still grey.

My understanding is grey icon means no route to bis via bb through wifi. I do have a data plan, and i have called the carrier numerous times.

I had the wifi icon always white when i first got the bb and the day i changed my plan is the day it went grey... i asked tech about this and they said everything seems correct.

Any more pointers?
    05-18-10 07:33 AM
    This is happening on all WiFi spots you try?
    05-18-10 07:38 AM
    This is happening on all WiFi spots you try?
    I am with rogers in canada... so far i have tried rogers internet (cable based) with different routers and also cogeco cable internet which i think is owned by rogers.

I will try Bell Internet (adsl) today as well.
    05-18-10 07:58 AM
    Sometimes on my 9700 the WiFi is greyed out but it still works.
    I take off my radio just to be certain and load a webpage. It loads alright.

This does not seem to be the case with you though.
    Try updating to .656
    05-18-10 08:15 AM
    I suffered with the grey icon and white dash for wifi for some time, tried everything I knew. Then I took advice from someone on here who told me to:
    1. take all security (WPA or WEP keys, MAC address restrictions etc) off of your router so it is completely open.
    2. re-establish connection to wifi network from the blackberry (this was successful for me, now the white logo and green tick appeared).
    3. re-apply whatever security you want on your router/blackberry

Good luck with it, I remember how frustrated this problem made me until it was fixed!
    05-18-10 08:24 AM
    I suffered with the grey icon and white dash for wifi for some time, tried everything I knew. Then I took advice from someone on here who told me to:
    1. take all security (WPA or WEP keys, MAC address restrictions etc) off of your router so it is completely open.
    2. re-establish connection to wifi network from the blackberry (this was successful for me, now the white logo and green tick appeared).
    3. re-apply whatever security you want on your router/blackberry

Good luck with it, I remember how frustrated this problem made me until it was fixed!
    tried that as well.
    05-18-10 08:34 AM
    are you able to connect fully with your router being open? does the icon white out if your router is open?
    05-18-10 10:22 AM
    Your berry could also be having troubles getting an IP address. If that's the case, then go into WiFI options, select which network you're trying to get on, select it, select edit, and manually enter an IP for it. Worked for me!
    05-18-10 11:35 AM
    @C_86 icon does not go white when no security to the router. I am able to surf the net and all with the network radio off and wireless on.

I also did this today i used a friend's bb exact model same network and we switched sim cards.

On my device with his sim card i got white wifi... on his device with my sim card no white wifi.

So i am thinking perhaps it has to do with my account or plan...
    05-18-10 01:15 PM
    so i was told that rogers does not support bis over wifi and it may work occasionally...

I went ahead and tried uma on my phone only then i get a solid wifi signal.

Anyone know what needs to be done to get white wifi within eng screen?... bis over wifi is very important as there is very spotty service where i am.
    05-18-10 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD