Ok, i just read a report from Boy Genious....he states that even though BIS 2.5 is coming out tomorrow, OS 4.5 will not be out til September!!! I can't wait. I have downloaded any of the beta versions due to people having issues, memory loss, icons not showing up on desktop and so on...But I gotta have it, so I am taking the plunge. question is shouldnt I have the the Desktop 4.5 THAT BB recently put out before I start. I only have desktop 4.3 right now. Thanks in advance folks : )
    06-28-08 10:51 AM
    it doesn't matter which DM you have
    06-28-08 10:53 AM
    Gary, I just upgraded to 4.5.0.44 and love it. It has been working great for me so far. Browser is running much faster, comes with the "L" style zen theme, also gives you video on the 8310 at least (would assume that it would on the 8320 as well), also can view ppt,xls, docs as well. Oh, to answer your question I read that you have to upgrade the desktop manager to at least 4.3. I upgraded to 4.5 totally new look and seems to be much more user friendly! If I had to choose I would still go with the 4.5 just for the camera function it's sweet! Good luck!!
    06-28-08 10:59 AM
    Gary, I just upgraded to 4.5.0.44 and love it. It has been working great for me so far. Browser is running much faster, comes with the "L" style zen theme, also gives you video on the 8310 at least (would assume that it would on the 8320 as well), also can view ppt,xls, docs as well. Oh, to answer your question I read that you have to upgrade the desktop manager to at least 4.3. I upgraded to 4.5 totally new look and seems to be much more user friendly! If I had to choose I would still go with the 4.5 just for the camera function it's sweet! Good luck!!
    Thanks Souperman!!! I hope i have the same success. I have heard some heard some horror stories about 4.5 for the TMO Curves : (
    06-28-08 11:08 AM
    it doesn't matter which DM you have
    Thanks Jason!!! One more question . Do i wipe out the 4.2 handset software?
    06-28-08 11:10 AM
    I just logged on for the same reason and it seems we have the same questions as well... I read the same thing from Boy Genius and I'm ready to take the plunge too... I'm on T-mo as well, so we shall see... I don't think I'm going to change my DM as it's working fine for me, but I wanted to check because I had read I need the latest DM as well... I'm off to find out the exact process! Wish me luck...
    06-28-08 11:16 AM
    Thanks Jason!!! One more question . Do i wipe out the 4.2 handset software?
    yes sir..... then install 4.5 C:\programfiles\Commonfiles\Researchinmotion\applo ader and delete the Vendor XML file and you're good to go
    06-28-08 11:19 AM
    grrrrrr. i thought I'm supposed to delete the vendor file. Oh lord help me
    06-28-08 11:46 AM
    ok, just read the last part, thanks
    06-28-08 11:46 AM
    np...post back if you have any problems
    06-28-08 11:48 AM
    This may need to be moved to a new thread but anyone who is using 4.5.0.44 have you deleted the quincy programs and battery logs? They automatically loaded and I am assuming that since this is a beta version RIM put this in there for the info, but I just don't know if I like them knowing how many times my device was holstered, how long my camera was open, how many pics I took, and so on and so forth! Did you all leave it on your phone or delete it?
    Last edited by souperman; 06-28-08 at 11:53 AM. Reason: forgot to subscribe to thread
    06-28-08 11:51 AM
    Hi Everyone, as my 8300 got toasted I just picked up a 8310 from at&t and downloaded 4.5 from RIM. It works ok but a little sluggish. Feeling brave I just went for 4.5.0.44. Got the "software installed successfully and click finish" prompt, but when checking the version number on the program still shows 4.5.0.15 (and not...44). Is that supposed to be like that? I have not connected my phone yet (will remove the vendor file as instructed). Thanks for any input.
    06-28-08 11:56 AM
    just when thought I asked my last question..... i know I'm looking for ....
    c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader...But how do I find that, in search? I have Vista, and am new to it
    06-28-08 12:01 PM
    aahh..i dunno, I don't have Vista...but you HAVE to delete Vendor XML file
    can't you do a search for the file on your comp???
    06-28-08 12:02 PM
    I think that removing the vendor file will allow the new os to be installed through app loader, not really sure? This was my first time upgrading the OS on my BB and it was at 2 am when I finished the download/install.
    06-28-08 12:04 PM
    First, to GaryBerry, souperman and walsil
    Welcome to CB

Now with that out of the way, you guys
    really should not jump in to a thread and
    post questions unrelated to the original
    posters question.
    06-28-08 12:05 PM
    ok, i got it dl'd. I can't send e-mail to test HTML, cause i think TMO is doing upgrades right now. I don't see any DOCs To Go, and my browser is so slow, even clocks out at times. I dl'e 4.5.0.44, atleast that's what the link said, but in "about" in my opions, shows i only have 4.5.0. I do have video capabilities, everything looks crisp, but slow browser won't cut it for me.... I browse all the time, and using Viigo is suffering too. Any fixes for this, other than going back to old OS? thanks
    06-28-08 02:41 PM
    First, to GaryBerry, souperman and walsil
    Welcome to CB

Now with that out of the way, you guys
    really should not jump in to a thread and
    post questions unrelated to the original
    posters question.
    Um, I could be mistaken, but I started this thread this AM
    06-28-08 02:42 PM
    You posted this in both but I will reply in your thread. Check rapidfind. That is where I got mine and hopefully that will fix the issues. may want to redo the OS update. Mine is browser is wayyyy faster that 4.2.2.181. Like I said before the other things that I have found seem to be working great. Have a few 3rd party apps to still try and get working. Had to delete facebook and then reload after upgrade and may need to do so with a few others that are acting weird.
    06-28-08 04:22 PM
    Um, I could be mistaken, but I started this thread this AM
    That is correct, and I was trying to keep it
    on track for you. My message was for the
    to posters that followed,
    Which why I said "unrelated to the original
    posters question"
    - that would be you
    06-28-08 04:34 PM
    I just installed 4.5.0.44 and it's working pretty good. I had crashing issues on .42 but this one seems to be pretty stable. 3rd party apps work just fine like BBsmart view, jive talk, google maps. I think I'm sticking with .44

BTW i have desktop 4.3
    Last edited by JD914; 06-28-08 at 04:37 PM.
    06-28-08 04:34 PM
    just when thought I asked my last question..... i know I'm looking for ....
    c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader...But how do I find that, in search? I have Vista, and am new to it

click start button
    click computer
    click c drive
    click program files
    click common files
    click research in motion
    click app loader

same as any
    06-28-08 05:52 PM
    Can anyone tell me if the OS 4.5 is supposed to have the Doc Reader app with it, or does it only work when BIS 2.5 launches? I have heard many folks say they have it now. I dont have any icons that show like I do
    06-28-08 06:57 PM
    I don't think it matters what DM you use. As long as you remember to delete the vendor.xml file from the right directory or else it won't recognize that you want to update your OS.

I think that you will be fine with .44 or .46. They both work pretty well but .46 has less of memory leak than .44.
    06-28-08 06:59 PM
    I used DM 4.3.0.17... Deleted the Vendor.xml... Everything went smooth... Took exactly 50 mins... Everthing is back in working order, and I didn't have to do a restore or send service books... I hope it's not buggy, but so far seems to be good...
    06-28-08 07:19 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD