I just noticed an icon for trooper typing on my home screen. I didn't download it, and didn't go to any page that automatically downloaded it. nor did I fill out any form or sign up for anything. It just showed up. and it sounds like I'm not the only one who's had this happen. It freakin' sucks.

to try and get rid of it I finally downloaded the app, deleted it, then deleted the service book for it, and STILL it came back after a battery pull. this is ridiculous. I never thought that my Pearl would have spam (I think of unsolicited programs as spam).

is there any way to truly and finally delete it so it won't come back?
    06-28-08 09:09 AM
    I have this program on my pearl as well; and just like you it kinda popped up on my pearl yesterday. It teaches you how to use SureType. If I couldn't use SureType I wouldn't have the pearl. I would also like some insight into how to delete this program as I do not need or want it.
    06-28-08 09:18 AM
    Lovely, spam on our pc's and now our BB'S
    06-28-08 09:37 AM
    Simply hide the icon. It is not spam and
    since it is not an installed app, it's not using
    much memory.

Since there was a service book with it,
    deleting it won't really help as it will return
    any time you resend your SB's or if VZW
    pushes them to you.
    06-28-08 09:44 AM
    I beg to differ..if I didn't request it, it's spam.
    It's very annoying.

Can anybody with Verizon show me the bit in the contract I signed that states I accept this crap?
    06-28-08 06:32 PM
    Differ all you want, it isn't spam,
    It's a tiny little icon that you could
    simply hide forget about and move on.
    06-28-08 06:42 PM
    VZN is not the only carrier that sends the "virtual preloads", some of the others have done it for a while now.

As A.G. suggested, hide it and forget it!
    06-28-08 06:52 PM
    I think Nicola has the right to be upset about the icon that he didn't request, and how Nicola handles is it Nicola's business. If Nicola doesn't simply want to hide it and move on, then Nicola shouldn't be told to do so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 06:55 PM
    Well the reason we said that jw, is that there is not a way to get rid of it!
    It will always come back to haunt him/her, so instead of getting frustrated over it, just ignore it!
    06-28-08 07:01 PM
    I think Nicola has the right to be upset about the icon that he didn't request, and how Nicola handles is it Nicola's business. If Nicola doesn't simply want to hide it and move on, then Nicola shouldn't be told to do so.
    OK, we'll sit here and try to find a solution that may not exist,
    commiserate with him about how the man is all always working
    against the people, or complain about a truly trivial little icon.

I have AT&T, there are about a dozen icons I cannot delete.
    I created a folder, moved them into it and hid the damn folder.

Simple.
    06-28-08 07:03 PM
    It's spam and it is part of the service books from vzw.
    I had to disable the firewall and resend my books, then after a battery pull,
    there it was in all it's glory.
    If you enable the firewall..
    then go to options>advanced>service books, it's the 1st on the list, with the berry button you have the option to delete.

I'd imagine it will pop back up with the current service books and a battery pull.

I am gonna send something off to vzw about it, I don't want anything I didn't load on my berry myself, anymore than I want a virus on my PC.

Hide it,,,,,no, Nuke it,,,,yep.
    06-28-08 07:03 PM
    OK somebody tell me how they are spam.
    They are "convenience" icons. If you want
    to use the app click it if you don't, then well, don't

On mine I have a bunch of media mall icons
    (in aforementioned hidden folder), as long as
    I do not click them they do nothing. Some users find them
    useful and keep them. I don't so I hid them.
    Now they do even less, because I don't even see
    them. WHY is this a big deal? And why does
    something so painfully simple need to be discussed to this
    length. Again, just hide it and move on.
    06-28-08 07:13 PM
    Yeah I got it on my BB but I actually downloaded it I reckon I am going to delete it now haha I can type rather well

06-28-08 07:14 PM
    AG, if an icon showed up on your pc that you didn't put there, would you delete it, or ignore it?
    There's no difference, if they wanted to make a special offer, they could have, instead they're force loading something on a berry that already comes with too little memory. Vzw wants to kick for a freebie, then how about a little free gps?
    My .02

06-28-08 07:38 PM
    AG, if an icon showed up on your pc that you didn't put there, would you delete it, or ignore it?
    There's no difference, if they wanted to make a special offer, they could have, instead they're force loading something on a berry that already comes with too little memory. Vzw wants to kick for a freebie, then how about a little free gps?
    My .02
    We are not talking about my PC, we are talking our phones.
    You are making an apples to everything else in the market
    comparison.

If I understood that it was service book related, would eventually
    get pushed back and consumed almost no resources, yes I would
    simply ignore it. As I am doing now with the Media Mall icons, the
    TeleNav icon, etc...

Sorry but hiding it is just easier than worrying about what it is,
    what it does, and why my carrier sent it.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-28-08 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Removed unecessary snark :)
    06-28-08 07:44 PM
    Can we all just get along?

06-28-08 07:56 PM
    Verizon just got an ear full from me. ha im glad im not them. i hate them. it probly charges to have it on my phone although i did not request it.
    06-28-08 08:03 PM
    My .02

comparison.
    Pc or phone; one shouldnt be less important than the other. I agree with everyone that has this icon- the fact remains that most have it, dont know where it came from and cant get rid of it. I say that in and of itself is very annoying.

If this icon had come PREloaded PRIOR to your purchase of your BB, then I would agree with you AG, hide it and move on. But you're negating the fact that it seeped in like a predator and IMO, that is wrong.

If this little icon has anything to do with SureType, to most users, who have had their BB for a while, it too little too late.
    06-28-08 08:12 PM
    Verizon just got an ear full from me. ha im glad im not them. i hate them. it probly charges to have it on my phone although i did not request it.
    It does not cost you any thing. It consumes no more resources
    than any other icon. And as long as you don't click it will do
    absolutely nothing.
    06-28-08 08:13 PM
    Hmm. I can understand the frustration of having a something on your personal phone which you pay for that you don't want there. Its definitely an invasion, of sorts. However, I feel that spam is perhaps not the best word for this icon. My understanding is that spam is unwanted advertising from companies looking to make a profit from you. Now, I am not familiar with this trooper app, but from what I have gathered, its function is to teach about suretype..? Does it cost anything? If not, then how is this spam?

It sounds annoying, however I agree with AG's point. If there's nothing you can do to remove it, just ignore it and go about your business. It won't make anything better to be angry about it if there's nothing you can do to change it. I wish I were married to vince vaughn, but I can't change that.. So why worry?

06-28-08 08:23 PM
    comparison.

If I understood that it was service book related, would eventually
    get pushed back and consumed almost no resources, yes I would
    simply ignore it. As I am doing now with the Media Mall icons, the
    TeleNav icon, etc...

Sorry but hiding it is just easier than worrying about what it is,
    what it does, and why my carrier sent it.
    We are talking about a pc, I have just as much if not more sensitive info on my berry as I do on my pc. I also pay more with vzw for the service, if I wanted it I would order it, but I don't.
    I also spent a lot of time tweaking my berry for memory and reliability because of my job, it's not a razr, and last I checked I paid for commercial free service.

06-28-08 08:25 PM
    Well h3ll if we're on wishes, and Vanessa Williams is available...

My point is, however it got there it is innocuous, service
    book pushed, and therefore not controllable.

Rather than getting in a lather over whether it's spam,
    or whether the carrier had a right to do it, all I'm saying
    is hide the thing. In a week or so you won't even remember
    it's on your device. Again, simple.
    06-28-08 08:29 PM
    Hmm. I can understand the frustration of having a something on your personal phone which you pay for that you don't want there. Its definitely an invasion, of sorts. However, I feel that spam is perhaps not the best word for this icon. My understanding is that spam is unwanted advertising from companies looking to make a profit from you. Now, I am not familiar with this trooper app, but from what I have gathered, its function is to teach about suretype..? Does it cost anything? If not, then how is this spam?

It sounds annoying, however I agree with AG's point. If there's nothing you can do to remove it, just ignore it and go about your business. It won't make anything better to be angry about it if there's nothing you can do to change it. I wish I were married to vince vaughn, but I can't change that.. So why worry?

And to many, thats exactly what this little icon is.
    06-28-08 08:29 PM
    We are talking about a pc, I have just as much if not more sensitive info on my berry as I do on my pc. I also pay more with vzw for the service, if I wanted it I would order it, but I don't.
    I also spent a lot of time tweaking my berry for memory and reliability because of my job, it's not a razr, and last I checked I paid for commercial free service.
    Point one: Either your PC is very spartan or your BB is massively
    overloaded.

Point two: As to the memory, tell me how much has your memory
    degraded since the appearance of this insignificant icon.
    Exactly what I thought. Either none, or you cant. The icon
    in and of itself consumes no more memory than say the one
    for memo pad. And unless you install the app it will go on being
    a non factor as far as your memory is concerned.
    06-28-08 08:34 PM
    It does not cost you any thing. It consumes no more resources
    than any other icon. And as long as you don't click it will do
    absolutely nothing.
    How do i get it off. And how often are they gonna be putting things on my phone like this. I finally got my memory right and now they are trying to wreck my phone.

Can I put my password in 10 times and wipe my phone clean to get it off?
    06-28-08 08:34 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD