I bought my 9700 back in Nov. That was after trying the Moto Cliq and hating every aspect of. Now in hindsight, I might have skipped the BB and waiting for the new gadgets coming out. I compare my BB with what HTC phones can do and I am tempted to switch. The 9800 is supposed to be coming out but its as though it will be obsolete by the time it gets here. I saw some cool looking gadgets from Dell that will be released soon. They look really sweet. So my question is why I'm I still with BB which is slower, not as sexy as other touch screen both windows and android?
    05-17-10 05:22 PM
    Blackberry 9700 became obsolote as soon as I saw the Moto Droid and the new HTC incredible. Those are some super sexy phones.
    05-17-10 05:30 PM
    Phones look good but that's it compared with 9700.
    Windows Mobile sometimes hang, phone often needs reboot. HTC updating services are bogus. Help is not to be found quick like in this BB forum

Girlfriend has the HTC HD2, mine is BB 9700 ... I don't want to switch!
    05-17-10 05:30 PM
    Six months is a long time if you are trying to keep up with the latest (but maybe not greatest) products. The 9700 has the hard keyboard and features I need, and while I'm tempted by the latest touchscreens the value proposition isn't there for me.
    05-17-10 05:32 PM
    Grass is always greener on the other side.....until you go there.
    05-17-10 06:36 PM
    Same here. I'm getting really tempted with all the media-centric devices coming out. I love my Bold 9700, because it can do more than most phones out there, but other phones, Android especially, are looking REALLY good.

And I know that whole grass is greener adage. That's why when I get my next phone, I'm going to use that 30 day trial to its full effect.
    05-17-10 06:40 PM
    I am slowly falling in love with my bf HTC Desire
    05-17-10 06:47 PM
    HTC is hanging carrots in front of our faces. EVO 4g even the HD 2 hardware wise is really tempting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-10 06:55 PM
    I had a Moto Cliq, then the MyTouch before I got my 9700. And before those I had a pearl. Although Android seems nice, it's lacking. I can't pinpoint what it lacks, but it's something big because I got my 9700 after only a couple months of having the MT3G.
    05-17-10 07:29 PM
    9700 is one **** of a machine- nothing comes close!
    05-17-10 07:33 PM
    My wife/partner has a cliq xt and after playing with it, I find it full of stuff that I would never use and she has even said that she doesn't know what half of those apps do. With that said I can understand how a android phone can easy distract you but I love berries and I find other phone more fluff and less substance.

05-17-10 07:41 PM
    Although Android seems nice, it's lacking. I can't pinpoint what it lacks, but it's something big.
    It sucks, I just can't figure out why.
    05-17-10 08:03 PM
    It sucks, I just can't figure out why.
    Haha pretty much. I don't know, I had Root, and Android 2.1 on it and everything. But I still ended up back at BlackBerry
    05-17-10 08:07 PM
    Had a Cliq, wife a mytouch3G, best friend a iPhone3G's/N1 and SIL a Driod...

Cliq lasted 14 days and came back to BB and the 9700 while test driving my buddies N1 a lot and wife had the mytouch and once in awhile still mess with it, then my wife's sister spent a ton on a Driod, which IMO is junk....iPhone and N1 are nice, but the rest pail in comparison to what I can do with my 9700...

EVO and Samsung Galaxy S look nice, but I am in a good place for awhile....

05-17-10 08:10 PM
    The droid is junk. One of my best friends has it, it's just, bleh. The N1 has too many problems for my taste, but the iPhone I'd get in a heartbeat. Maybe.
    05-17-10 08:13 PM
    The droid is junk. One of my best friends has it, it's just, bleh. The N1 has too many problems for my taste, but the iPhone I'd get in a heartbeat. Maybe.
    The Driod destroys ANY blackberry.
    05-17-10 08:38 PM
    The Driod destroys ANY blackberry.
    Meh. I don't like the keyboard, plus it's a Motorola. The Cliq killed any Moto I'd ever get. Plus, I didn't realy care for touchscreens haha

*Note to the admins* Email replies to threads would be amazing! That way I don't have to actually do something on my computer to reply
    05-17-10 08:41 PM
    I have tried android devices like the backflip and g1 and mytouch and for some reason I always go back too a berry. Android os is fun but their is something about blackberries I love! And oh yea the 9700 is the best berry out!!

05-17-10 09:20 PM
    I bought my 9700 back in Nov. That was after trying the Moto Cliq and hating every aspect of. Now in hindsight, I might have skipped the BB and waiting for the new gadgets coming out. I compare my BB with what HTC phones can do and I am tempted to switch. The 9800 is supposed to be coming out but its as though it will be obsolete by the time it gets here. I saw some cool looking gadgets from Dell that will be released soon. They look really sweet. So my question is why I'm I still with BB which is slower, not as sexy as other touch screen both windows and android?
    All electronics are obsolete as soon as you pay for them. Technology is constantly changing - this is the way the world works. Soon GSM will be gone and 3G will be the new base as 5G hits the ground (which is already in trials I might add). Will RIM have to do something to compete with the plethora of iPhone and Android applications? Absolutely as the markets change. Remember how and why the BB was designed - Enterprise! Now that they are trying to break into other markets, they need to still be as secure as before but open to app writers as well. I am also using an Android device. It is nice but I am no fan of touchscreens. Just like the iPhone all the available FREE applications are nice.

I did learn something playing with this Android device - Gmail and Hotmail on my BB are both faster than BIS - POP3! I was very surprised. I only started playing with them after seeing how fast delivery was to my Android.

BTW, expect many new Android devices to be released by all carriers over the next several months.
    Last edited by shansmi; 05-17-10 at 09:29 PM.
    05-17-10 09:24 PM
    HTC products are very sexy. And they come out with so many every year. Looking at the specs, there aren't too many devices that can keep up, but specs can be deceiving. Also, they have their problems too. I had a Hero, and the dust that got underneath the screen was unbearable. I have read reports that people are having trouble viewing content on their touchscreens with AMOLED displays in direct sunlight, and a lot of the devices have battery issues. The 5 MP camera on the Hero isn't better than the 3.2 MP camera on my Tour. I still like HTC devices because they are really cool looking but I haven't had one that performs well enough for me. But they are always worth the try. I may be one of few, but I think that BlackBerry smartphones are super sexy too. I love the construction of my Tour. I am also very fond of OS 5. I like it better than Android, WM, webos, and any other platform that I have had a chance to experience. But that's just me, I'm a BlackBerry fan. As far as the 9700 being obsolete, I don't think so. There are a lot of people who really like and want that device. The slider looks amazing to me. From what I have seen coming out this year from other manufacturers thus far, I don't see one device outside of the new iPhone that would be better than the 9800.

05-17-10 09:31 PM
    All electronics are obsolete as soon as you pay for them. Technology is constantly changing - this is the way the world works. Soon GSM will be gone and 3G will be the new base as 5G hits the ground (which is already in trials I might add). Will RIM have to do something to compete with the plethora of iPhone and Android applications? Absolutely as the markets change. Remember how and why the BB was designed - Enterprise! Now that they are trying to break into other markets, they need to still be as secure as before but open to app writers as well. I am also using an Android device. It is nice but I am no fan of touchscreens. Just like the iPhone all the available FREE applications are nice.

I did learn something playing with this Android device - Gmail and Hotmail on my BB are both faster than BIS - POP3! I was very surprised. I only started playing with them after seeing how fast delivery was to my Android.

BTW, expect many new Android devices to be released by all carriers over the next several months.
    True technology is constantly changing. In fact I think Moores law states that computers double performance every 18 months which means by this time next year we should have a killer BB. But is it worth waiting? Even given that BB will evolve, will they catch up with android and iphone and even windows? I am not talking about sales but overall performance of the device.

05-17-10 10:06 PM
    Phones look good but that's it compared with 9700.
    Windows Mobile sometimes hang, phone often needs reboot. HTC updating services are bogus. Help is not to be found quick like in this BB forum

Girlfriend has the HTC HD2, mine is BB 9700 ... I don't want to switch!
    I will give you an example that pissed me off the other day. My coworker has HD2. We were trying to watch CNET shows while travelling on business. My BB won't play CNET shows but the HD2 played them flawlessly. That got to suck. I don't quite care for win mobile but come on. Why can't BB get to speed?

05-17-10 10:10 PM
    I will give you an example that pissed me off the other day. My coworker has HD2. We were trying to watch CNET shows while travelling on business. My BB won't play CNET shows but the HD2 played them flawlessly. That got to suck. I don't quite care for win mobile but come on. Why can't BB get to speed?

Strange, mine is playing them just fine. I did not even run their optimize settings.... I played the Logitech and Altec Lansing shows with no issues.
    05-17-10 10:40 PM
    Yeah my berry plays vids fine, just sometimes buffers while on EDGE, but when on UMA waves is flawless, but quality isn't the greatest...

05-17-10 11:47 PM
    I just want to point out that Blackberry Bold 9700 = business world phone
    HTC HD2 = Toy with lots of apps that is not exclusively for business
    Droid = Another toy which has bugs and again not for business

Blackberry was designed with the business community in mind not as an entertainment phone. It does everything you need as far as email, web, and other business related things faster and better than other phones. Plus it is a world phone means you can take it anywhere in the world and it just works.

The other ones are toys. If you use your phone for recreational things BB is not for you get an iphone, HTC HD2, or Droid. But if you want a phone that just works hug your blackberry and go to bed with it because there is nothing better.

By the way Neoman1314 iphone sucks soooo bad. I switched from it and jailbreaking / unlocking every time new apple software comes out is so damn annoying that I was not able to deal with it any more.
    05-18-10 12:15 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD