Upgrading from my first curve, 8330 or something like that. Have Sprint and I like the one I have. Wife upgraded to 8530 today from a Pearl and daughter from the 8330.

Bold is coming out. What will I gain by going from the older curve to the 8530? Will I lose anything? I see some comments about the camera (nice to have flash but not a deal breaker) and the battery may be less robust, but not by much. Track ball gone, track pad in. Maybe a high res screen but I mostly use mine for email and texting, occassionally get a pic in an email and maybe web browse 15 minutes a week.

Is the keyboard basically the same? WIll I get a better keyboard with the Bold or will I get a sturdier unit?

Anything else I should consider?
    05-17-10 04:56 PM
    I would recommend getting the new 9650, it's newer than the 8530. But there's really no difference between the two (except for some specs).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-10 05:07 PM
    9650 is OS6 compatible, 8530 is still unknown.

The keyboards on the Tour/Bold are very different, I recommend checking in-store to see the difference.

Other than that it's mostly just form factor, screen res and the camera.

I highly dislike the headphone jack location on the tour/9650 also.
    05-17-10 05:44 PM
    But there's really no difference between the two (except for some specs).
    UMMMMM......yeah...the difference in Specs is a pretty big deal if you're talking 8530 vs 9650. Big memory increase, better screen res, better camera(I've never had a camera in my life that takes worse pics than the 8530), different keyboard, OS6 ready(no promise 85xx series will even get it).

You'd be crazy to get the 8530 if the 9650 is in your spending parameters.
    05-17-10 06:34 PM
    More memory pre OS6 isn't really a big deal, considering I doubt most users of 256mb devices are anywhere near capacity. The effect of memory on OS6 is unknown, so even that isn't a given benefit.

Yeah if you have an upgrade available and you don't mind the price tag the 9650 is going to be better. But the point is, is the difference worth $200 and is it worth using the upgrade now on it...
    05-17-10 06:44 PM
    I love the 8530 and I think it will be a good deal for you considering you hardly use your phone ... Its really up to you nobody can decide for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-10 07:05 PM
    More memory pre OS6 isn't really a big deal, considering I doubt most users of 256mb devices are anywhere near capacity. The effect of memory on OS6 is unknown, so even that isn't a given benefit.

People don't even know if the devices with 256mb will get OS6 yet. The only confirmed OS6 ready devices are the 9650 and other upcoming Blackberry's. And they all have 512mb at least. So again I say, if the 9650 is in your price range, you'd be crazy to get the 8530 instead. The only people who want to defend the 8530 are people who aren't eligible for an upgrade or can't afford the 9650 and are jealous. Lol
    05-18-10 08:00 AM
    Easy answer = 9650
    05-18-10 12:09 PM
    the screen on the 8530 is smaller, for that alone I would choose the 9650.
    05-18-10 12:14 PM
    The only people who want to defend the 8530 are people who aren't eligible for an upgrade or can't afford the 9650 and are jealous. Lol
    Are you ignorant? So in your mind the only reason people want to use the 8530 is because they are poor...
    05-18-10 12:33 PM
    Are you ignorant? So in your mind the only reason people want to use the 8530 is because they are poor...
    Wow, I guess sarcasm really doesn't transfer well in text for the unintelligent readers, sorry next time I will be sure to mark it in big letters that I am kidding around for you. I thought the LOL at the end was evidence enough. If you read, (you can do that right?) You'll notice I also said people that aren't eligible for an upgrade. Also, yes, those that don't have $200 to drop in their budget, I'm not loaded, but I've put some cash back every week since this phone was announced so I can grab it when it comes out. And on a side note, if someone is "poor", Why the F would they have a blackberry? Sounds like it hit a very sensitive nerve in your brain...just sayin...
    05-18-10 01:07 PM
    Even if they aren't eligible for an upgrade they can buy the device.

And on a side note, if someone is "poor", Why the F would they have a blackberry? Sounds like it hit a very sensitive nerve in your brain...just sayin...
    Are you serious? You make it sound like poor people don't own smartphones, which is a joke at best...

Thanks for the clarification, your follow up statement shows that your original statements weren't really sarcasm and more how you actually think.
    05-18-10 01:13 PM
    I'm an 8530 user and love it. For what the differences really amount to, I'm happy staying where I am with the one that I have and I use my phone ALL the time. If you use you're for more basic and quick wordprocessing, maybe it'd be just fine to to roll with the 8530.
    05-18-10 01:14 PM
    [QUOTE=papped;5132110]Even if they aren't eligible for an upgrade they can buy the device.

Are you serious? You make it sound like poor people don't own smartphones, which is a joke at best...QUOTE]

Poor people are only allowed to own dumb phones.
    05-18-10 01:15 PM
    Yeah I've never seen a poor person with an iPhone 3gs, etc =O
    05-18-10 01:20 PM
    Even if they aren't eligible for an upgrade they can buy the device.

Are you serious? You make it sound like poor people don't own smartphones, which is a joke at best....
    Ok yes they can buy it retail, for around $600. If you can afford it, great. Obviously people who are "poor" have blackberrys, droids, and iPhone. Should they? Well if they are jobless, living with their parents, have kids they can barely afford to feed or clothe, or are overextened on their bills every month, probably not. Its a matter of being a responsible adult which is a concept that is lost on a good potion of America. While a cell phone is very nice to have, and a smart phone even nicer, its not a necessity and should be one of the first places people look when trimming fat off their budget. I know this concept is blasphemy to those who would rather be homeless than live without their blackberrys, but what does it say about a person if they go to cash a check from the taxpayers while they are updating their facebook status on their new smart phone? Now if all that is something you disagree with you must be one of those people standing in line at the local cash advance store. I'm done with this thread.
    05-18-10 01:34 PM
    $449 != $600, sorry.

And the price will lower over time (shortly).

I know this concept is blasphemy to those who would rather be homeless than live without their blackberrys, but what does it say about a person if they go to cash a check from the taxpayers while they are updating their facebook status on their new smart phone? Now if all that is something you disagree with you must be one of those people standing in line at the local cash advance store.
    Lol, i love how you keep digging yourself deeper by opening your mouth...
    05-18-10 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD