I know I'm a newbie w/a too simple question. Without pissing anybody off, it used to be that people would stick with you on these forums until you got your problem solved or tried everything, no matter what the problems was.

It's about read message receipts going out even though I have the box that says to send them unchecked. If anybody has any idea why this is still happening I would be so grateful. Do I need to call my service provider? RIM support? Or is it just going to happen anyway?

Any ideas are appreciated!
    05-14-10 01:54 PM
    Those days are gone.

Have u resent yer service bewks?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 01:59 PM
    Bewks? Told you I was a newbie (to BB's, anyway)
    05-14-10 02:12 PM
    I can't stay by the computer but I'll be back - will try whatever it takes .. just had one person write and tell me they don't get them. So looks like some people do and some don't. ?? I'm totally stumped, but I hate them and want the BB to stop sending them.
    05-14-10 02:18 PM
    She means books... service books

go to your 'manage internet email' icon > menu > service books > send service books
    05-14-10 02:21 PM
    Where will they show up? I don't see them on the main menu
    Last edited by HighVoltageBlonde; 05-14-10 at 02:45 PM.
    05-14-10 02:32 PM
    did you try a battery pull?
    05-14-10 02:47 PM
    Found them -
    05-14-10 02:47 PM
    OMG. Then what?? Too many acronyms. I've fallen behind. What a *****.
    05-14-10 02:55 PM
    Acronyms?

Did you resend the service books? You shoulda received a message for each account saying it was activated (or something along those lines). You can just delete those.
    05-14-10 03:04 PM
    I've been on ht ephone w/TM for an HOUR. Started all over, not sure girl knew what she was doing. Now I've lost my Wi-Fi, need WEP code and they say they don't have it and I could swear they gave it to me, that it was on the bottom of the modem. I can't remember, have had trouble w/everything except setting up email. I see a red SOS where my signal bar should be. Am way late for an appt, please help. I'll be checking back in later. The service books.. I got them but.. sh*t. If someone cal tell me where to find th WEP code.. can't believe I'm back to square one.. SIM sync said "failed" but my contacts are there. I don't know what's going on. Just want to set up Wi-Fi for now, am going to call TM when I get back home.
    TIA for your help -
    05-14-10 04:54 PM
    Are you anywhere near a T-mo store? I'd go that route ASAP.
    05-14-10 05:35 PM
    I've been on ht ephone w/TM for an HOUR. Started all over, not sure girl knew what she was doing. Now I've lost my Wi-Fi, need WEP code and they say they don't have it and I could swear they gave it to me, that it was on the bottom of the modem. I can't remember, have had trouble w/everything except setting up email. I see a red SOS where my signal bar should be. Am way late for an appt, please help. I'll be checking back in later. The service books.. I got them but.. sh*t. If someone cal tell me where to find th WEP code.. can't believe I'm back to square one.. SIM sync said "failed" but my contacts are there. I don't know what's going on. Just want to set up Wi-Fi for now, am going to call TM when I get back home.
    TIA for your help -
    sounds like you may have either inadvertently changed a few settings or you have a faulty device.

if after you return you are still showing SOS instead of signal, you will want to try a battery pull and if that doesn't work you may need to go to TMobile. If the device is unlocked there is an additional step, if unlocked is an unfamiliar term then it isn't unlocked.

If SOS is gone, then you just have some minor setting up to do. For your WEP code, it is independent of TMobile and is the access to your home network. I know if you have Verizon Fios this will be on the bottom of your router, if not then you have to find the code (ask the person who created your wireless setup).

To send your service books you will want to do what was suggested a few posts up and go Setup>Personal Email Setup>BlackBerry Menu Button (left of trackpad)>Send Service Books.

The only other option I can think to remedy your problem is if you go into the Messages folder, hit the BlackBerry Menu Button and go to options and select Email Settings about half way down is a confirm delivery you can check to make sure that says no (and repeat for each of your email addresses).

Please post your results and I will try my best to assist you.

Feel free to PM (Private Message) me if you believe it will be more helpful, but just be warned I may not be able to answer until after 12pm tomorrow as I am a college student and have a rather important exam tomorrow morning.

Good Luck!
    05-14-10 06:44 PM
    I've been to the TM store. They weren't much help. I can't believe I let that girl screw things back up again ... we did a total wipe.. I got the email set up ok .. WiFi setup.. had probs w/ring tones (for specific callers), then something else, now this. I really am beginning to think I have a faulty phone, and I have no idea where to get the WEP code. I'm about to get back on with T-Mobile now and if they can't help me this time the phone is going back. This has been a huge pain the a**, for days not I've been tryig to get it set up. Just the basics! It's crazy. Anyway I'll post again w/an update and thanks everyone for the help.
    05-14-10 07:01 PM
    I've been to the TM store. They weren't much help. I can't believe I let that girl screw things back up again ... we did a total wipe.. I got the email set up ok .. WiFi setup.. had probs w/ring tones (for specific callers), then something else, now this. I really am beginning to think I have a faulty phone, and I have no idea where to get the WEP code. I'm about to get back on with T-Mobile now and if they can't help me this time the phone is going back. This has been a huge pain the a**, for days not I've been tryig to get it set up. Just the basics! It's crazy. Anyway I'll post again w/an update and thanks everyone for the help.
    If the only problem you are having with the device is the WEP code don't bother calling TMobile, that is something they won't have and is unique to your wireless network at home.
    05-14-10 07:03 PM
    I'm beginning to believe I have a bad phone. It's all been way too complicated, and I'm about at my wit's end. I ordered it through the mail so the TM guys at the store weren't very much help. I'm going to make sure I get somebody (from TM tech support) that knows this device backwards and forwards this time, but they are telling me they can't give me the WEP code, and I don't know where I got it. I could swear it was on the bottom of the other modem. We have Wi-Fi here. And yes, my signal is still messed up. It did not sort itself out while I was gone.

I'll update again, and thanks very much for your replies.
    05-14-10 07:06 PM
    I'm beginning to believe I have a bad phone. It's all been way too complicated, and I'm about at my wit's end. I ordered it through the mail so the TM guys at the store weren't very much help. I'm going to make sure I get somebody (from TM tech support) that knows this device backwards and forwards this time, but they are telling me they can't give me the WEP code, and I don't know where I got it. I could swear it was on the bottom of the other modem. We have Wi-Fi here. And yes, my signal is still messed up. It did not sort itself out while I was gone.

I'll update again, and thanks very much for your replies.
    If the signal is still messed up and the device was purchased within 30 days you should be able to have them send you a new one as an exchange. I do not have TMobile but I have had Verizon and ATT and I know both work that way.

The WEP code is a private key that keeps your local WiFi network private so intruders can't get in. It has absolutely nothing to do with TMobile and as such they will not be able to provide the key.

Your best bet is probably to contact the person who set up the network for you. Sometimes it is on the router like you say. It is difficult for me to troubleshoot this because everyone's home network is unique. If you think it is on the bottom of the router it probably is. Look at the tag and see if there is any number that is identified by either:
    WEP / PSK / WPA / WPA2

Any of those are possible and if thats the case then you can enter it. Another way to get this, and this I don't recommend because it is a little more complicated if you are running a Mac on the wifi network you can click the Finder and then Go>Utilities and then choose KeyChain Access. If you double click the name of your wifi network in the list, it will prompt you for your local log in password on your mac and then will display the WEP Key.

I am sure someone else can help you, but it has been years (Windows XP) since I have run a Windows machine and I do not know off hand a way to do this via windows.

Good luck!
    05-14-10 07:12 PM
    The WEP was created by me, just had to change it a few days ago. Something happened on ATT's end and I just got knocked offline.. anyway they don't call it that so it took me awhile to figure it out, and I ended up using the old one to reset things - tried it when the new one wouldn't work, just to see. I'm sure the new one will kick in at some point and all of a sudden my Wi-Fi will disappear.

For now I'm back to trying to understand why those request read mail receipts are going out even though my settings say not to send them - and everyone isn't getting them either, which seems strange. Anyway according to T-Mobile that's ATT's thing, so I'll be calling them next week.

The first person at T-M I spoke to today said you couldn't pay her to own a Blackberry. The 2nd girl said she's had 17. Funny.
    05-14-10 08:23 PM
    That 1st person messed up your phone even more, correct?

When you are calling T-Mobile ask for a BB rep and they will transfer you to someone more qualified...as if a regulat T-Mobile rep may be lost in trying to help ya. Sucks, but how a lot of them are, not all...some. (Don't want to **** in any bodies Wheaties, lol!)

Not sure honestly why you are having such issues...I had no such problem with mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-10 08:26 AM
    1st time I called T-M, the tech answered "Your T-M/BB expert." But the call dropped before we could start. The next time I got the girl that took me back to square one... and I told her before we began that I wanted somebody that knew them inside and out, backwards and forwards. She said she took calls about BB's all day long. She lied, but by the time I realized it (because I'm a newbie to BB's) it was too late.

I'm just glad I remembered the WEP, which, like Josh said, is provided by my ISP, not T-M. I wasn't thinking straight by then. The last girl - the one who said she'd owned 17 - she made sure the Wi-Fi was working correctly - and the wipe did something, because the read mail receipts are no longer going out. So I'm good for now, and I really appreciate everyone's input.
    05-15-10 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD